PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL looking at overtime rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, the NFL wants parity, then go for the parity: a tie score at the end of regulation is a tie game.

First team to score 4pts should win!

This is the idea I've always favored. The downside is that offenses (particularly field goal kickers) have gained an advantage over the years, so it still likely won't be 50-50, but it should get to at least 55-45.

One other tweak I've thought about is to only bring the ball out to the 15 for a touchback. I think the offense getting the ball around the 15 is truly about a 50-50 proposition.

Ditto :) I favor changes like these which shift the odds yet don't hugely increase the injury potential. As a fan I'd love to see 15 more minutes of football but :eek: It's probably safe to assume it was an evenly-matched, tough game to begin with given the tie; throw another quarter to your starters on top of that and I dunno... maybe for the SB (last game of the season) but it's still an injury waiting to happen imho.

You do realize that this rule would give an even greater advantage to the trailing team that is catching up, don't you? Instead of kicking the field goal as time expires, they simply kick the field goal with a few seconds left on the clock and kick off to the other team. Of course, the other team would want to fumble the ball back so that they would get the kickoff in OT, but then the kicking off team wouldn't want to recover it, etc. Talk about making a travesty of a football game...

LOL

I guess I didn't state it well enough. The team that kicks the Field goal with a few seconds left, kicks off, with a few seconds left. Return team gets the ball say at the 20 since it goes out of the endzone, they get it there and start their drive, just as if they were starting a drive at the end of the 3rd quarter, going into the 4th.

it would be hilarious though to see guys not covering the ball on that last second kick off...

Better two 7:30 periods with alternating kickoffs/sides, if after the first they are still tied, go to the second.
NO...you have two periods regardless...I would say 5 or 6 minutes...and THAt would give each team a kickoff and the ball...Having ONLY a 7 min Q...is STILL giving the team winning the toss a BIG advantage..

How about teams actually play defense and get there team the ball back instead crying about lossing the coin toss like they didn't have a chance to stop the other team. This is what I beleive Polumalu was talking about with the ****ification of football if your team can't stop the other team U LOSE plan and simple no we should get the football too, just play defense and you'll get the ball.

The problem is that players give all to play 60 minutes. When tired, injuries happen, so you want to limit the OT, while still insuring each has a possesion.

Two mini-periods with a kickoff to the other team as at half time, guarantees a possesion for both even with the mini-periods. IMHO, the question is how short to make them. I would suggest no more than 2.5 minute mini-periods and a total of 5 minutes of overtime. Call it a tie afterward, except do it again in the Playoffs. :)
I would have 4, 5 or 6 minutes OTs...mini-periods...TWO...and there is a reason the length of time needs to be looked at as well as timeouts...the league does NOT want long long games...so it is QUITE REASONABLE that 2 mini-periods would do the trick...timeouts EXTEND that time...as would 2 minute warnings...so those and the time OF the periods need to be looked at. But I agree 2 of these two kickoffs...I just think anything less than 3 minutes makes it just a two minute offense ONLY...one needs MORE time than that...but not more than double that and then some..BUT I AGREE this is the best approach....as all phases of the game would be in play...

Give each team's backup quarterback a .44 magnum and have them stand on the respective 20 yard lines. When the official blows the whistle, have the players run towards each other while firing at each other. The first one to incapacitate the other wins, and his team gets the victory.

ProFootballTalk.com - NFL HAS LOOKED AND WILL CONTINUE TO LOOK AT OVERTIME RULE

Who didn't see this coming in light of the Colts losing in OT.

I don't care for the overtime rules myself but there's no way they look at the rule if the Colts win the toss and get the FG, no way in hell.

Or if Addai had ran his route properly on 3rd and 2, Manning wouldn't have been sacked, the Colts would have ran out the clock, and who knows what would have happened afterward? They beat Pittsburgh? They get the luxury of hosting Baltimore at home? Dungy/Manning would be playing for their 2nd Super Bowl this weekend?

Really-OT rules are just fine the way they are. They've been that way ever since the merger decades ago, noone had a problem with it for a long time, and NOW they all of a sudden have a problem?

BTW-if Indy had decent DTs, they prolly would have held SD on their 1st OT possession to begin with.

Give each team's backup quarterback a .44 magnum and have them stand on the respective 20 yard lines. When the official blows the whistle, have the players run towards each other while firing at each other. The first one to incapacitate the other wins, and his team gets the victory.
With the accuracy of some of the backup QBs in the league, I would suspect that this may pose significant danger to fans in the stands. Perhaps they should just whip out the Xbox and play a 5 minute quarter of Madden on the jumbotron to decide the winner.

With the accuracy of some of the backup QBs in the league, I would suspect that this may pose significant danger to fans in the stands. Perhaps they should just whip out the Xbox and play a 5 minute quarter of Madden on the jumbotron to decide the winner.

Well, how about if they hook it up to a pain generator, the way the did in "Never Say Never Again"?

Last edited:
How about jello wrestling with the cheer leading squads. First squad with no clothes left loses.

How about jello wrestling with the cheer leading squads. First squad with no clothes left loses.

I would root for a Chargers overtime loss, every.... single..... week.

Last edited:

But wouldn't we as fans would win from that scenario?

:D

Last edited:
I would root for a Chargers overtime loss, every.... single..... week.

The problem is that after a few years we'd have squads full of Mrs. Seymours. Then again I'm not opposed to a good overtime lynching.

The problem is that after a few years we'd have squads full of Mrs. Seymours. Then again I'm not opposed to a good overtime lynching.

Yep... .win/win

Move the kickoff back 10 yards to where it was. Overtime was a 50/50 proposition at that point.

Now its 60/40, which is ridiculous.

Nice post. Totally agree. Let's not reinvent the wheel. This is the simplest and best solution.

Simple, just give each team 1 possession in OT. The team who has the highest score at the end of both possessions wins the game. And obviously they have 15 minutes total to complete running both possessions. Unless it's the playoffs, if nobody scores at the end of 2 possessions, the game is a tie.

I say don't change a thing.....it's the defenses job to stop the other team from scoring.....as Belichick always said "DO YOUR JOB" Giving both teams a chance with the ball is too mamby pamby for me......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back