PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Jersey Rule Change and Can We Benefit from This?

So Roger Goodell ensures that almost every team in the league has to deal with a new jersey. There's parity for ya.

"52's the Mike!" is now "52, the linebacker, on the left, is the Mike!"
Calling out the Mike just identifies the middle of the defense. The number is meaningless. This rule change is meaningless

I imagine it will be modestly more difficult to read defenses. It is probably second nature to look for all the 50-somethings then ID which one is the mike. Now a QB may have to work on memorizing what’s going on when they see more random numbers.

Imagine a QB looking at the second level and seeing 22-55-56-28-59. Pretty easy to remember which numbers are which positions.

Now imagine the 5 players are 22-33-6-15-27. Quick! Which one is the mike!
Did the QB not study the opposing defensive roster at all leading up to the game? I have to assume they were already doing that.

There is a downside for the players to change their number:. From PFT:

Now that the door is open for players to wear numbers that previously weren’t available, players who want to immediately change numbers must deal with one important caveat. They must buy all remaining inventory of unsold jerseys with the player’s current number.

More specifically, and per multiple sources, the players must purchase — at retail prices — the remaining Fanatics supply.

Given the cost of buying unsold jerseys, Dalvin Cook will stick with No. 33 - ProFootballTalk

Ah ha...fanatics inventory. The same company who does the NFL shop...funny how that happens.

Anyone else out there though trying to sell old jerseys... f em

This won’t be an issue for a few years. Not many vets are gonna change their numbers considering they have to buy out the current stock so the only players this will affect are some rookies who may or may not even contribute on the field this season.

Brady will be fine. In 5 years that’s when things will be a mess.

On first reading the headline, I thought that teams visiting MetLife Stadium were going to have to kickoff from their own twenty yard line or some other nonsense invented by Goodell.

So much for the days when a veteran would come to a new team, and some backup would be a good teammate and let the new player have his favorite number.
That is still the case because they would be moving to a new team, so their would be no old number jerseys (for the new team) in stock. This only applies if you change your number and not your team.

That is still the case because they would be moving to a new team, so their would be no old number jerseys (for the new team) in stock. This only applies if you change your number and not your team.
He's talking about the backup who was already on the team changing their number, which would require a jersey buyout. A recent Patriots example is Uche giving up 53 to Van Noy.

I was honestly pretty surprised to hear that Tom Brady of all people thinks this will make it harder to read defenses. Don't you just scout every single player on the other team and know which numbers to look out for? I would have expected the smarter QBs and defensive coordinators to feel as if this gave them an advantage.

I'm less shocked that Belichick was against it because he seems like a stickler for tradition.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the rule change. NFL positions seem to be getting more fluid, so the numbering should change accordingly.
Even if you know something intellectually, being able to take that rapid short cut, see a number in the 20s and realize it's probably a CB and be able to guess roughly what they're capable of, is critical to the game Brady plays.

Brady doesn't like the change to the numbering rules because his game is all about rapid analysis, and the change interferes with that by making it a little harder to instantly identify the defender and make snap decisions based on the role he plays ad what players in that role can normally do..

He's talking about the backup who was already on the team changing their number, which would require a jersey buyout. A recent Patriots example is Uche giving up 53 to Van Noy.

ohh, LOL then I guess Van Noy has a nice new stock of Uche jerseys

Did the QB not study the opposing defensive roster at all leading up to the game? I have to assume they were already doing that.
I’m sure they did, but this will add a mild layer of additional difficulty to that.

I’m sure they did, but this will add a mild layer of additional difficulty to that.

Only in a few years. This will barely be a factor this year aside from some rookies.

Only in a few years. This will barely be a factor this year aside from some rookies.
Rookies and anyone who changes teams (which is a lot of players).

I imagine it will be modestly more difficult to read defenses. It is probably second nature to look for all the 50-somethings then ID which one is the mike. Now a QB may have to work on memorizing what’s going on when they see more random numbers.

Imagine a QB looking at the second level and seeing 22-55-56-28-59. Pretty easy to remember which numbers are which positions.

Now imagine the 5 players are 22-33-6-15-27. Quick! Which one is the mike!

Ok so a QB studies all week sure. How about the right guard who isn't as prepared as a QB and hears some random number 3 seconds before the snap. Does he look right or left, oh woops too late the ball is already snapped....

Calling out the Mike just identifies the middle of the defense. The number is meaningless. This rule change is meaningless

7-ring champion GOAT Tom Brady says it's a big problem but not surprised at all to see this poster be dead wrong again.

This won’t be an issue for a few years. Not many vets are gonna change their numbers considering they have to buy out the current stock so the only players this will affect are some rookies who may or may not even contribute on the field this season.

Brady will be fine. In 5 years that’s when things will be a mess.

How about 3 stud rookie blitzing linebackers this year who have numbers like #24 or #22 or #8 ?

Are they all likely to be on the same team?

Nah but imagine 3 defenses next year, starting stud rookie linebacker has a number that sounds like a cornerback's position. QB calls out to his OLine just 2 seconds before the snap. I dunno, I guess Tom Brady and Bill Belichick don't know what they're talking about then.

Uche, who wore 10, 35, and 6 in college, is going with the classic linebacker 55 rather than something new and exciting.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back