PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL is willing to “bubble” teams inside hotels for the rest of the season

You're all over the place here. First you say " The episode with Cam has shown us that we simply can't trust players to take care of themselves once they leave the stadium. Cam has spoken and demonstrated his drive, enthusiasm, and dedication for the game, and for this team, but clearly he didn't take that to the nth degree. " (and actually I was the one who defended Cam in my response saying we don't yet know what happened.

So now you're saying "Why should the team have to suffer for something that could very well be incidental contraction?" Consistency FTW, my friend. Teams suffer all the time for things that are beyond anyone's control. I would not be surprised if the NFL added an 8th playoff spot to each conference to try and address these sorts of things if they continue.

I don't see how either statement necessarily contradict each other.

Players can't be trusted... hence put them in a hard bubble. Put them under supervision. "Conjugal visits" allowed if the individual(s) test negative.

Why should we suffer....? That's with the NFL in mind, with them being so eager to schedule the game for the next day, rather than after Cam's incubation period ends. That's clearly giving KC a competitive edge. If the situation were reversed and Mahomes were out, you can bet the KC fanbase would be upset and saying the same thing. Would it wreak havoc on the schedule? Absolutely- extend the season, give all teams an extra bye weekend. There are a number of ideal solutions.

I don't see how either statement necessarily contradict each other.

Players can't be trusted... hence put them in a hard bubble. Put them under supervision. "Conjugal visits" allowed if the individual(s) test negative.

Why should we suffer....? That's with the NFL in mind, with them being so eager to schedule the game for the next day, rather than after Cam's incubation period ends. That's clearly giving KC a competitive edge. If the situation were reversed and Mahomes were out, you can bet the KC fanbase would be upset and saying the same thing.
The fanbase might be saying the same thing but I don't think the League would handle it any differently.
Would it wreak havoc on the schedule? Absolutely- extend the season, give all teams an extra bye weekend. There are a number of ideal solutions.
Except those aren't really ideal solutions. KC spent this week preparing for NE. Why should they suffer having the schedule shifted around? And if you push all missed games to the end of the season (which may happen anyway but would not be ideal) then playoff teams suffer by having potentially too much time off. As Peter King pointed out, you could have the team with the first round bye go a month between games. So now you're just shifting punishment from one team to another team. Why should KC or Baltimore or Seattle or Green Bay have to suffer from Cam Newton's positive test?

I know it's a sh*t sandwich but quite honestly, the team with the player who has the positive diagnosis should be the team that suffers the most from the inconvenience. I am not going to change that opinion simply because it was my team who it happened to.

Maybe 'bubble' the teams for the playoffs. But from here on out would be tough.

I know it's a sh*t sandwich but quite honestly, the team with the player who has the positive diagnosis should be the team that suffers the most from the inconvenience. I am not going to change that opinion simply because it was my team who it happened to.

Do you post this much at the Tampa Bay board? Because lord knows I'm sure they'd love to have you there.

Maybe 'bubble' the teams for the playoffs. But from here on out would be tough.
It was obvious that 1) they should have had the bubble model from the start, and 2) they wouldn't because it is the NFL and they suck especially where the intersection of science and player safety is concerned.

Do you post this much at the Tampa Bay board? Because lord knows I'm sure they'd love to have you there.
What part of my statement do you disagree with, troll?

It was obvious that 1) they should have had the bubble model from the start, and 2) they wouldn't because it is the NFL and they suck especially where the intersection of science and player safety is concerned.

agree with (1), but on (2) it seems they are all about trying to leverage science/tech to try to fix inherent problems in the game (like, people get hit). But seriously, am I just naive? I don't think they're unwilling to pay to science their way out of problems, it's just that their problems are bigger than what you can science out of, because science.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back