PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

not sure how I would feel about this, especially with needs along the o-line and in the secondary, specifically cb:

Not gonna hold my breath. We’ve been interested in everyone so far.

What an absolutely moronic take. That spending got them back to he playoffs and almost won the division with a rookie QB. Kraft is just a cheap f**k, he's never wanted to spend money. Got real comfy with Brady taking way below market team friendly deals. Also your take makes literally no sense, he spent to get back to the playoffs and then lost so now he doesn't want to spend. Listen to how dumb that sounds.

off to the ignore list you go.
The irony in your post is hilarious.

So Kraft is so cheap he spent the most amount of money ever in FA, but then was so satisfied with the embarrassing wildcard loss that he followed that up by not wanting to invest money the following the season.

Also please do add me to your ignore list, because I have no time for people that need to insult instead of providing logical posts

This really explains the Von Miller move with the Bills.

Rousseau, Addison, Epenesa, Basham, Oliver, etc. Lots of draft picks and money, 2 1st rounders.

You spend all these assets to attack the opposing QB, and you then just throw your hands up in the air when it doesn't happen, and you go the FA route.
exactly, also explains why Pats can not be players because of so many draft pick misses over the past 3-4 years; Harry, Wynn, Slow-Juan Williams, Chase Winovich, Anfernee Jennings etc.
All of this caused a trickle down overspend on UFA's last year which exhausted capital to spend this year.

The irony in your post is hilarious.

So Kraft is so cheap he spent the most amount of money ever in FA, but then was so satisfied with the embarrassing wildcard loss that he followed that up by not wanting to invest money the following the season.

Also please do add me to your ignore list, because I have no time for people that need to insult instead of providing logical posts

There is nothing embarrassing about losing in the playoffs to a great Bills team, a team that is probably the best in the AFC now and will likely win a SB in the next few years. Making the playoffs after a dismal 2020 season was always the goal.

exactly, also explains why Pats can not be players because of so many draft pick misses over the past 3-4 years; Harry, Wynn, Slow-Juan Williams, Chase Winovich, Anfernee Jennings etc.
All of this caused a trickle down overspend on UFA's last year which exhausted capital to spend this year.

They could easily spend this year if they wanted to. Just push money into the future. When you have a QB on a rookie contract it's easy. It's how the chiefs and Seahawks won.

Bill has put us in a situation where he needs to nail EVERY draft pick. If we miss the playoffs next year and take a step back he is going to start to get heat.

When you have a rookie QB you generally want to show you are building towards something. Not let your team get worse

There is nothing embarrassing about losing in the playoffs to a great Bills team, a team that is probably the best in the AFC now and will likely win a SB in the next few years. Making the playoffs after a dismal 2020 season was always the goal.

But then on talent get worse the following year makes no sense. Right now OL which was a strength was just made a huge weakness by Bill. All to get a 5th round pick

If the offers were similar and he chose the Rams because they are the Super Bowl winners and a favorite this year, that is one thing. But word is that they weren't willing to meet his price. Robinson got a below market deal for the Rams.
Currently LA has many advantages over cold weather cities (also true in NBA where elite talent migrates to CA, TX or FLA). The Stadium , the facilities, pleasant place to live year round, the coach and the willingness of the owner to spend , spend , spend to get the players he wants. Also a huge advantage to have a QB that is well liked, considered as elite and the potential to help build stats for certain UFA's. The stable coaching situation is also super attractive.

Right now beyond the money the Pats can not compete with this. Mac Jones does not yet have the street cred as an elite stat building QB. The pats have a reputation for being a run first offense. Also no OC in place and Joe Judge as QB coach (who has never done that before) make NE an unattractive place right now for top tier UFA WRs.

WR's will remember the Buffalo game in 5 degree weather when the pats passed the ball 3 times in the entire game. If you play for the rams, you are guaranteed to play all home games in a warm weather covered stadium.

In my opinion these warm weather city advantages over time will threaten parity in the league. My solution....alot more cap space for cold weather teams who play in open stadiums

The LVE re-signing is interesting in that it probably means the Cowboys aren't signing Bobby Wagner. Wouldn't surprise me to see him end up on one of the "super teams" in either the AFCW or NFCW.

I think the Patriots would have been significantly more likely to sign Vander Esch if Wagner signed with the Cowboys than to sign Bobby Wagner now that Vander Esch signed with the Cowboys.

Hey Jay, hope you're doing well!!!

No links, but I can I have heard from reputable people(I'm not saying sources) that know the Pats well, that they have been hearing this within the organization....

I wouldn't say Kraft has to go, but I would be very disappointed if this is true, which I am starting to believe is the case.

Let's be honest, BB doesn't have another 10-15 years as a head coach...he is closing in on Shula's all time win record in another few years, he wants to win now, it makes too much sense all around.
Ashley, who have you heard this from? Are you just referring to the tweets that said the Pats weren’t spending due to spending so much last year? The tweets from guys we all know and love that are just trying to make sense of what’s going on? If not, and you actually have sources saying that Robert Kraft is controlling Belichick in the same way a parent would give their child a limit to their bank account spending is a big deal. That would mean that Robert Kraft has become more hands on and is having a negative impact on Bills ability to construct a roster the way he wants. You’re a moderator on (what I believe) is the biggest Patriots message board on the entire planet. To put something like this out there is a big deal, especially if it turns out to be true. I don’t want to believe it, but if it is, Bill needs to leave and Kraft needs to step away. If this comes out, that Bill had all these plans and was told no, the media circus is going to be over the top.

Hey Jay, hope you're doing well!!!

No links, but I can I have heard from reputable people(I'm not saying sources) that know the Pats well, that they have been hearing this within the organization....

I wouldn't say Kraft has to go, but I would be very disappointed if this is true, which I am starting to believe is the case.

Let's be honest, BB doesn't have another 10-15 years as a head coach...he is closing in on Shula's all time win record in another few years, he wants to win now, it makes too much sense all around.
I didnt know you're an insider Ash lol

Im fine here, but these news are troublesome... how much is Kraft worth and how much income does he has? Like, its about principle, the goal is to be the best we can as a team and, even in his perspective, the pats have to be one of the most successful enterprises in sport for the last 2 decades

I can only hope its not true

Over the last few years, has any team had nearly the absence of draft capital than the Pats?

Every year, they traded away picks to bring in vets to make a run. Every year up to and including 2019.

They picked at the end of every round.

They had a Day1, a Day 2, and a Day 3 pick stolen by the league (very clear now with the revelations of the WFT investigation).

They made no trades of assets to gain more good picks.

They were drafting either for risk (Easley) or for immediate need players (Michel, who was the best pass protection guy of the top RBs that year by far), or to fill specific pieces with players that could actually make the team.

Sure, they had some bad whiffs - Harry and Williams might be the most egregious - but let's not pretend they had anywhere near the capital of the mediocre or bad teams. They were in go-for-it-now mode the last 6+ years of Brady in the building. IN a way, they went into draft hell in the same manner that many teams are now going into CAP hell.

The biggest disappointment to me with the Pats regarding the draft is their seemingly new inability to develop the players they draft, or their weird penchant for drafting square pegs that won't fit into their round holes (Harry would never fit what they do, nor did Wino, and now possibly Uche...it's aggravating as hell).

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back