PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL creates a veteran combine

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
@RapSheet: Fascinating. The @NFL will host on March 22 in AZ the first ever NFL Veteran Combine, according to a memo sent today. It’s for veterans FAs.

So who attends these? GM's coaches? Seems quite weird.

Interesting idea. Won't matter much for guys who are the prime targets I'm guessing, but for older players or guys coming back from injuries, it could help to prove they've still got something left in the tank.

Pretty cool idea.

It saves the embarrassment of begging GM's to watch videos of you working out in your driveway, TO.

Definitely might help with some guys who were never even on the GM's radar, someone maybe written off showing he can still move, etc. Given how short NFL careers are on the average I think players would be nuts to turn down any opportunity to show they can still perform athletically.

Edit: Do we get a guy like Andre Carter in 2011 if he had a chance to show how much of a workout warrior he was? Or rather, do we get him basically for free with that combine idea in place? Players obviously work out for a team before they sign but they rarely work out for all 32.

^and I just worried myself with that though. BB tends to be good at finding hidden gems under rocks that other GM's ignored.

@RapSheet: Fascinating. The @NFL will host on March 22 in AZ the first ever NFL Veteran Combine, according to a memo sent today. It’s for veterans FAs.

I have always thought the practice squad should be open to players of all ages. Some guys get run out of the league because the don't qualify for the PS.

So who attends these? GM's coaches? Seems quite weird.

I would assume both. I'm sure Belichick will be there, this is a good opportunity to evaluate the types of players that he already likes anyway.

This is cool.

I wonder how they determine who/who can't attend? For example, what is the criteria for being a veteran? 5 years of service? 1 year? 1 game?

^and I just worried myself with that though. BB tends to be good at finding hidden gems under rocks that other GM's ignored.

Agree. This is one of the advantages the team has had over the years.

This is cool.

I wonder how they determine who/who can't attend? For example, what is the criteria for being a veteran? 5 years of service? 1 year? 1 game?

My guess would be any NFL free agent after their rookie contract (either because it expired or they were cut). Some guys might not want to go to it though, if they don't think they'd show well.

If I recall correctly, the NFL came up with the idea of having vet minimum guys cost less under the cap than their full salaries. This seems like a similar move.

Both are good ideas. The NFL doesn't always screw up.

Agree. This is one of the advantages the team has had over the years.
This. Bill positively has always had a shadow roster. But on the other hand there could be some great stories that could come out of this. I like it.

Which means there might be a stigma about attending - attendance is your announcement that you are not a "prime target".

This combine is held almost 2 weeks after the season begins. Almost all the "prime targets" are re-signed or signed before that date.

So will this get television time or something? I do like this idea, wonder if you get a lot of older vets in their mid-late 30's who'll try to revive their careers by attending this.

This 51 year old would still win a veteran combine today

075_greg_nagy_vs_herschel_walker1_display_image-e1340419402759.jpg

Formerly

Herschel+Walker.jpg

I'm sorry, but no amount of success is worth taking the HDH quantities that cause your mouth to stay gaping open like that.

This 51 year old would still win a veteran combine today

075_greg_nagy_vs_herschel_walker1_display_image-e1340419402759.jpg

Formerly

Herschel+Walker.jpg

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots