PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL conducting comprehensive investigation of Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd post. On one hand you suggest he didn't do it and on The other excuse him doing it. Win win for Manning.

I honestly have no, problem with athletes doing HGH or steroids to recover from injury, what I have a problem with is the ridiculous double standards that apply to Manning with both the league and media. If this was another player, especially Brady, they would be going all out to hang him, whereas with Manning they go all out to bury the story. Its ridiculous and they need to be called out for their hypocritical bullish.t.

You are correct about what I wrote. We haven't heard anything about a condition Manning's wife has that requires HGH. If it were a legitimate use, I imagine an MD will surface who says so but does not disclose the ailment due to medical privacy laws. That said, Manning was the one recovering from career-threatening spinal surgeries. I imagine HGH would help to hasten the repair done in the surgeries, so yeah, I think he used it. But there's no proof he did, nor will there be five years down the line.

Do I excuse Manning for doing it? Yeah. I would anticipate that anybody with unlimited financial resources would go out and purchase the most promising medical care their money can buy. Was it legal? That's on the good people at the Guyer Institute to defend. Treatments involving controlled substances like prescriptions, biological compounds and steroids are left in the hands of clinicians and pharmacists. If the Guyer Institute evaded the law by providing HGH for off-label purposes, that's on them. If they took steps to protect the patient's privacy by having the HGH delivered to Manning's wife in Florida, that's not a crime. The report said nothing about who the HGH was prescribed for.

How the NFL conducts its investigation is fair game. Basically, the NFL will investigate the delivery of a controlled substance to a spouse of a player on IR. By the time the investigation begins, the player may be retired.

Will Goodell name a high profile attorney to investigate? Unlikely. Will that investigator look to prove a predetermined conclusion of guilt like Deflategate? No. Will the Colts be punished for the actions of a player under contract on IR? No.

The whole thing is bizarre to me.

I'd rather worry about the salary cap, free agents, coaching changes and how the Patriots are going to upgrade their offensive line so that Tom Brady doesn't get hammered again in 2016. Another linebacker and a dependable outside-the-numbers wide receiver would be nice, too.

Odd post. On one hand you suggest he didn't do it and on The other excuse him doing it. Win win for Manning.

I honestly have no, problem with athletes doing HGH or steroids to recover from injury, what I have a problem with is the ridiculous double standards that apply to Manning with both the league and media. If this was another player, especially Brady, they would be going all out to hang him, whereas with Manning they go all out to bury the story. Its ridiculous and they need to be called out for their hypocritical bullish.t.
Correct.

I also find it interesting that Manning gets implicated for involvement with PEDs and used his wife as a heat shield. Imagine if TB did that.

If true, this adds another level of disgrace to this whole thing.

You are correct about what I wrote. We haven't heard anything about a condition Manning's wife has that requires HGH. If it were a legitimate use, I imagine an MD will surface who says so but does not disclose the ailment due to medical privacy laws. That said, Manning was the one recovering from career-threatening spinal surgeries. I imagine HGH would help to hasten the repair done in the surgeries, so yeah, I think he used it. But there's no proof he did, nor will there be five years down the line.

Do I excuse Manning for doing it? Yeah. I would anticipate that anybody with unlimited financial resources would go out and purchase the most promising medical care their money can buy. Was it legal? That's on the good people at the Guyer Institute to defend. Treatments involving controlled substances like prescriptions, biological compounds and steroids are left in the hands of clinicians and pharmacists. If the Guyer Institute evaded the law by providing HGH for off-label purposes, that's on them. If they took steps to protect the patient's privacy by having the HGH delivered to Manning's wife in Florida, that's not a crime. The report said nothing about who the HGH was prescribed for.

How the NFL conducts its investigation is fair game. Basically, the NFL will investigate the delivery of a controlled substance to a spouse of a player on IR. By the time the investigation begins, the player may be retired.

Will Goodell name a high profile attorney to investigate? Unlikely. Will that investigator look to prove a predetermined conclusion of guilt like Deflategate? No. Will the Colts be punished for the actions of a player under contract on IR? No.

The whole thing is bizarre to me.

I'd rather worry about the salary cap, free agents, coaching changes and how the Patriots are going to upgrade their offensive line so that Tom Brady doesn't get hammered again in 2016. Another linebacker and a dependable outside-the-numbers wide receiver would be nice, too.

but its the narrative, they have to want to smear his reputation in order to do it and they dont.

The way I see it, if they don’t want to taint anything or get anywhere near it, why initiate an investigation then? I was sure this story was long gone from the headlines, and here come these breaking news out of nowhere. Everyone thought this topic was dropped, when all of a sudden comes the NFL and announces it will investigate? For what purpose? Why not just let the whole thing die if they won’t do anything about it anyways? Just doesn’t make sense.

I basically agree with this. My big issues are with the league office, which is just total scum, and media, who crucified Brady and run from a much more significant story.

While it would be tough to match FIFA for level of corruption there is little difference in integrity. whether you steal $1, 000 dollars or $10,000,, you are a scumbag either way, so saying the NFL has as little integrity as FIFA is completely valid, neither have any integrity in fact.

The way I see it, if they don’t want to taint anything or get anywhere near it, why initiate an investigation then? I was sure this story was long gone from the headlines, and here come these breaking news out of nowhere. Everyone thought this topic was dropped, when all of a sudden comes the NFL and announces it will investigate? For what purpose? Why not just let the whole thing die if they won’t do anything about it anyways? Just doesn’t make sense.
I suspect the they are trying to get ahead of a question raised by many on this forum which is why the NFL refused to join an investigation with the world Doping Assosciation and MLB.

To that end they are announcing an investigation of their own where they can control the information that is released throughout and the findings at the conclusion.

Welcome to NFL Public Relations 101.

How convenient....
What do you mean "how convenient"? Even if the NFL had a one-day investigation and suspended Manning, he would just appeal anyway.

What do you mean "how convenient"? Even if the NFL had a one-day investigation and suspended Manning, he would just appeal anyway.

The immediate 'disclaimer' they provide that no one should expect anything between now and the Superbowl. God forbid the forehead gets distracted while he prepares for the SB....

No one cares about Rodney Harrison's legacy.

If you are a Pats fan, you feel Harrison's legacy is one of being a team leader and hard-nosed, tough player.
To the objective eye, he won the annual "dirty player" award from his NFL colleagues before the leaves turned.

They do have to do one because other people were indicated but the media wants this story dead, that means anything short of a video of him taking hgh in an elevator then he will be exonerated by the media

The immediate 'disclaimer' they provide that no one should expect anything between now and the Superbowl. God forbid the forehead gets distracted while he prepares for the SB....

The idiocy about the Patriots filming the Rams' walk-through came up on the eve of the Super Bowl and last year, Footballs Obeying the Laws of Physics Gate dominated the lead up to the big game.

That's just the Patriots, you say. But the press dredged Ray Lewis' murder story just before the Super Bowl three years ago, even though there was nothing new to report.

Maybe it will be hands off with respect to HGHead. But it's still possible that some aspiring (ahem) "journalist" will see this as his/her chance to make a big splash. Don't be surprised if someone tosses a stinkbomb directed at Manning into the party. It's happened before.

Last edited:
ok, so he retires and a ban is a moot point. What about his legacy/reputation?
If the league can't find a way to exonerate him, it'll be spun as the noble hero doing everything he can to get back on the field for his TEAM!1!!11!

I'm sure it's already been posted, but as jerry thornton has pointed out, this is simply so goodell can defer on all questions about the issue leading up to the sb.
he won't comment as it's an ongoing 'investigation'
But I'm sure they'll be leaking incriminating evidence to all the usual suspects, amirite?

This story has been out there for weeks. Why did they wait until after Peyton was headed to the SB to announce it? We know they didn't want Tom in the SB, but are they trying to tilt the odds in Cam's favor now?

#integrity

This isn't going anywhere. The only two possible outcomes are 1. The NFL just says it doesn't have enough evidence to suspend Manning, despite the fact that it tried to suspend Brady with far less, or 2. If there's too much evidence to sweep under the rug, Manning will just retired to avoid punishment.

The whole thing is a farce. Neither Denver nor INDY will be punished and Manning is done any how.

I think this such a colossal waste of time and energy. No one is denying that the HGH was delivered to his wife - in 2011. There's no proof Manning took it, and since it was five years ago there won't be any..

You left one major known point out. Peyton's recovery Dr sent Peyton's wife HGH. This alone warrants conduct detrimental to the league. He should have know that this would bring the league and game into disrepute and can be punished just for that.

NFL Personal Conduct Policy

"It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful. Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime. Discipline may be imposed in any of the following circumstances:

Criminal offenses including, but not limited to, those involving:"
I cut a bunch out but left these two
  • Criminal offenses relating to steroids and prohibited substances, or substances of abuse;
  • Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe