PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next Stop, the Underwear Olympics

I guess after his dominant Senior Bowl and his Impressive Combine whether he goes top 10 or not, Donald is a name that we, as Patriot Fans, can cross off our list as a potential pick...it's obvious he's not going to be around when we pick. Ugh...at this point I'm starting to wonder if we might have to look at free agency in fulfilling that need as it seems the top names that most of us were hoping to be there in round 1 are going to be gone. It doesn't mean we can't pick up one in the later rounds but I was really hoping someone like Donald, Jerrnigan, Hageman or Nix would have been an option for us.

Manx, except for his abysmal 3-cone time, your guy Marcus Smith did a fairly passable Combine imitation of a "poor man's DeMarcus Ware":

- Smith: 6' 3 3/8" 251#, 34" arms; 4.68 40, 1.57 10 yard split, 35" vertical, 10'1" broad jump, 23 reps@225
- Ware: 6' 4" 251#, 34" arms; 4.56 40, 1.62 10 yard split, 38.5" vertical, 10'2" broad jump, 27 reps@225

Ware ran a 4.07 short shuttle; no time has been posted for Smith.

And then there's that pesky 3-cone: 6.85 for Ware, 7.48 for Smith. Ouch. Maybe Tyler Starr can coach him up.

I guess after his dominant Senior Bowl and his Impressive Combine whether he goes top 10 or not, Donald is a name that we, as Patriot Fans, can cross off our list as a potential pick...it's obvious he's not going to be around when we pick. Ugh...at this point I'm starting to wonder if we might have to look at free agency in fulfilling that need as it seems the top names that most of us were hoping to be there in round 1 are going to be gone. It doesn't mean we can't pick up one in the later rounds but I was really hoping someone like Donald, Jerrnigan, Hageman or Nix would have been an option for us.

I wasn't aware that the draft had taken place yet.

Unfortunately missed today. What was the verdict? Did Kyle Fuller do enough to make a jump into the first round?

Was disappointed By Breeland. Thought he was faster than that.

It's a long way till May. I suspect there will be quite a bit if ebb and flow till then. At the end of the day I wager there will be few NFL front offices (possibly including the Patriots) that won't be able to get past 6' 285 lbs.

Manx, except for his abysmal 3-cone time, your guy Marcus Smith did a fairly passable Combine imitation of a "poor man's DeMarcus Ware":

- Smith: 6' 3 3/8" 251#, 34" arms; 4.68 40, 1.57 10 yard split, 35" vertical, 10'1" broad jump, 23 reps@225
- Ware: 6' 4" 251#, 34" arms; 4.56 40, 1.62 10 yard split, 38.5" vertical, 10'2" broad jump, 27 reps@225

And then there's that pesky 3-cone: 6.85 for Ware, 7.48 for Smith. Ouch. Maybe Tyler Starr can coach him up.

You might not agree but I think that poor 3 cone takes him off the Pats big board. Did you see the video of Kevin Pierre-Louis I put up on The Athletic Fits thread? Poor mans Jamie Collins.

6.85 for a guy that size is bonkers.

Unfortunately missed today. What was the verdict? Did Kyle Fuller do enough to make a jump into the first round?

Fuller ran a 4.49 official 40 with a 38.5" vertical and a 10'8" broad jump. He looked good in the drills. He certainly didn't do anything to hurt himself today.

I wasn't aware that the draft had taken place yet.

Just venting some frustration. Sorry, can't a girl do that around here or is that not allowed? My brothers don't like to watch games with me because I get too emotionally involved. lol

Some really fast times today Fuller included. Deion and Mayock thought he was a bit high in some of the drills but thought it may just be a coaching issue. Both thought he could push the first round. They thought Gilbert and Dennard did enough with the tape to be top 15.

Exum ran a 4.59 and 7.13 3 cone so I went and watched some more film. I wonder about converting him to safety. The kid can hit and make up ground in a hurry but the thing I like best about him is his hand awareness when making contact and going for the ball.

It's a long way till May. I suspect there will be quite a bit if ebb and flow till then. At the end of the day I wager there will be few NFL front offices (possibly including the Patriots) that won't be able to get past 6' 285 lbs.

I agree. What draftniks say and what scouts think doesn't always translate into what GMs will do come draft day.

I was thrilled with Breeland's Combine. He plays much faster than that. He's not 6'3" like Richard Sherman, but he plays with a similar kind of confidence. I'd love it if he dropped to day 3.

If ever there was a year to trade back for multiple 2nd round picks........

I was thrilled with Breeland's Combine. He plays much faster than that. He's not 6'3" like Richard Sherman, but he plays with a similar kind of confidence. I'd love it if he dropped to day 3.

The only video I've seen of him is him getting trucked by some guy.

Biggest worry for drafting CBs is ignoring how physical they are. You end up with a guy like Butler that way. One reason I like Fuller so much.

I think Donald will be long gone, but Pats probably wouldn't take him anyway. I'm hoping they don't take a 2 down player like Nix or a player who disappears most of the game like Hageman. That would be a waste, IMO.

Just venting some frustration. Sorry, can't a girl do that around here or is that not allowed? My brothers don't like to watch games with me because I get too emotionally involved. lol

No problem. But I wouldn't make any judgments on who is likely to be within reach yet. It's too early, especially for an undersized DT, no matter how athletic.

I personally would trade up as high as 13 with St. Louis (which is rumored to want to trade back) if Donald is on the board. That's controversial, but I think he's an impact defensive line prospect.

No problem. But I wouldn't make any judgments on who is likely to be within reach yet. It's too early, especially for an undersized DT, no matter how athletic.

I personally would trade up as high as 13 with St. Louis (which is rumored to want to trade back) if Donald is on the board. That's controversial, but I think he's an impact defensive line prospect.

There's no way I'd do that trade, but I'm not going to criticise it, two years ago, I wanted to do something very similar for Mark Barron.

6.8 3cone for Pierre Desir. That's very good for someone of his size.

Looking through today's numbers, have to give credit it Mayo on Dontae Johnson; sub 4.5 40 and 38.5 vertical on a 6.2 frame is a very good day.

You're in full binky mode now. :)

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back