PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next Stop, the Underwear Olympics

And just for comparison, Duron Harmon ran a 4.48 and a 4.64...how'd that happen?

Where did he do that? Harmon was not invited to the combine; he ran a best time of 4.51 at his pro day and was in the 4.51-4.59 range.

I would say RB would be the weakest group in this draft, there are a lot of DEs with potential.

Mayock thinks Dennard and Gilbert will both go top 15. Go DBs ... push Aaron Donald down.

I think Donald is going to go #6 to Atlanta. You heard it here first…:D

Solidify the defensive line and TE through free agency and then load up in the draft on:

1. Speed based LB
2. WR playmaker
3. Big physical DB(s)
4. Interior Offensive line help
5. late round flier on QB and a TE conversion.

That's my plan at this point.

With guys like Exum and Dowling, Aaron Colvin, Dontae Johnson and Phillip Gaines available day 3, I'm happy not going DB on day 2 unless the value is ridiculous.

I think Donald is going to go #6 to Atlanta. You heard it here first…:D

Maybe, but they have a solid penetrating 3-tech in Jonathan Babineaux, and nothing off the edge. I have a hard time seeing them taking Donald over Clowney/Mack/Barr as an edge rusher, or Robinson/Matthews at OT.

This draft looks like a good one, but I am bracing for a solid first round and then a second round pick that wasn't invited to the combine. BB surprises me when certain positions are deep. In 08, deep rb and we don't take any of them. In 12, fast lb everywhere but we take the fattest one(Donta) we can can find. This year will be very interesting to see what we do.

This draft looks like a good one, but I am bracing for a solid first round and then a second round pick that wasn't invited to the combine. BB surprises me when certain positions are deep. In 08, deep rb and we don't take any of them. In 12, fast lb everywhere but we take the fattest one(Donta) we can can find. This year will be very interesting to see what we do.

History says we will take either Trent Murphy or Tyler Starr, 2 big LBs with poor 40 times and great 3-cones. It will be interesting to see if BB deviates from past form.

Mayock thinks Dennard and Gilbert will both go top 15. Go DBs ... push Aaron Donald down.

DBs from this group who I really like:

- Day 2: Kyle Fuller, Bashaud Breeland, Deone Bucannon
- Early day 3: Antone Exum
- Late day 3: Jonathan Dowling, Phillip Gaines

Fuller might push into ay one, Exum into day two and Dowling and Gaines the start of day 3. On a very consistent basis the players most loved on this forum go way higher. JJ Watt, Aldon Smith, Dion Jordan, Patrick Willis are some of the big ones that come to mind. The only exception I can think of is Connor Barwin who started out as a 4th rounder and was built into a first rounder and still went top half of the second. Actually Marvin Jones is another one that a lot of people loved, me included, who went lower. Always exceptions to the rule.

History says we will take either Trent Murphy or Tyler Starr, 2 big LBs with poor 40 times and great 3-cones. It will be interesting to see if BB deviates from past form.

Going into the 2003 draft, history said that BB hated drafting Juniors...
Going into the 2005 draft, history said that BB wouldn't take an interior lineman in the 1st round.
Going into the 2006 draft, history said that BB wouldn't take a RB in the 1st round.
Going into the 2007 draft, history said that BB wouldn't take a DB in the 1st round.

Mayo, Collins, and Hightower seem to contradict the idea as well.

Fuller might push into ay one, Exum into day two and Dowling and Gaines the start of day 3. On a very consistent basis the players most loved on this forum go way higher. JJ Watt, Aldon Smith, Dion Jordan, Patrick Willis are some of the big ones that come to mind. The only exception I can think of is Connor Barwin who started out as a 4th rounder and was built into a first rounder and still went top half of the second. Actually Marvin Jones is another one that a lot of people loved, me included, who went lower. Always exceptions to the rule.

Cameron Jordan was talked about as a potential top 10 pick right up until draft day, and fell to 24. Keenan Allen fell to 76. Lavante David fell to 58. And I don't think you can compare Dowling and Gaines to JJ Watt, Aldon Smith, Dion Jordan (horribly overdraft) and Patrick Willis, all of whom were consensus 1st round prospects from the start.

Obviously, at this point any of the prospects could move up. But it's such a strong and deep draft, there will be values available.

Going into the 2003 draft, history said that BB hated drafting Juniors...
Going into the 2005 draft, history said that BB wouldn't take an interior lineman in the 1st round.
Going into the 2006 draft, history said that BB wouldn't take a RB in the 1st round.
Going into the 2007 draft, history said that BB wouldn't take a DB in the 1st round.

Mayo, Collins, and Hightower seem to contradict the idea as well.

Believe me, I'm very much counting on BB not going according to past trends.

Cameron Jordan was talked about as a potential top 10 pick right up until draft day, and fell to 24. Keenan Allen fell to 76. Lavante David fell to 58. And I don't think you can compare Dowling and Gaines to JJ Watt, Aldon Smith, Dion Jordan (horribly overdraft) and Patrick Willis, all of whom were consensus 1st round prospects from the start.

Obviously, at this point any of the prospects could move up. But it's such a strong and deep draft, there will be values available.

They were just the names that came to mind right away. Jordan went on the lower end of the range he was project for sure. Lavante David went where most people thought. You were ahead of the curve on him. Keenan Allen fell only due to character concerns. He was a top 25 talent. Marcus Wheaton proves your point though.

Deion had a good point about drafting Clowney and having a guy with killer work ethic in the same position group as Watt there to mentor and push him. If it was one of the mid 2000 teams I think Bill would have the faith that McGinist and Co would get the most out of him.

Deion had a good point about drafting Clowney and having a guy with killer work ethic in the same position group as Watt there to mentor and push him. If it was one of the mid 2000 teams I think Bill would have the faith that McGinist and Co would get the most out of him.

I've made that point repeatedly. I've said that the best thing that could possibly happen to Clowney would be for Houston to draft him and put him under Watt's tutelage. Watt would push him to get the most out of his incredible talent.

Kyle Fuller: 4.40. Great time.

Exum looks like a tank, BTW.

You and others have sold me on Exum. A few weeks ago, I would have taken Bucannon over him. But Exum is a big bodied athlete more fit for the safety position and the guy can cover.

And Justin Gilbert? Holy hell!

You and others have sold me on Exum. A few weeks ago, I would have taken Bucannon over him. But Exum is a big bodied athlete more fit for the safety position and the guy can cover.

Kyle Fuller and Antone Exum. Remember, I was only about 3 years behind Manx calling that. :p

And Justin Gilbert? Holy hell!

I've been counting on Gilbert blowing the Combine and becoming a top 12 pick. Need to keep Aaron Donald within trade-up range.

Calvin Pryor 9'8" broad jump. 34.5" vertical.

Lamarcus Joyner 37.5" vertical jump.

Jason Verett 39" vertical.

2nd group of DBs running the 40.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste 4.53. Decent.

Dontae Johnson 4.45, 1.56 10 yard split. Outstanding at 6'2" 200#. One of my late round DB binkies.

Lamarcus Joyner 4.53.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back