PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Newton vs Stidham: Who wins the QB Battle? (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be the Patriots Starting QB in 2020?

• Newton

Votes: 110 73.3%
  • Stidham

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Newton will start, but Stidham will take over mid-season

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Stidham will start, but Newton will take over mid-season

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Former Patriots Coach Weighs In On Cam Newton, Jarrett Stidham Battle

Scarnecchia weighed in recently on Stidham and Newton. Interesting stuff...
“I think [Newton] has a huge edge, because of what he’s done in the league. The guy was an MVP [in 2015]. We played against him a number of times, have a huge respect for him as a player and leader, and the things he’s done. This guy, from a skill set, a lot different from guys we’ve had in there at quarterback over the years,” he told Medow. “[Jarrett] Stidham has great feet and ability to move and avoid the rush, and create and do a lot of similar things. I don’t think he’s to Cam’s skill set, but this guy is a pretty good player. He also has a tremendous work ethic and he’s a smart guy. I know this, you have to be a smart guy to play quarterback in that system. Having said all that, the cupboard is not half empty by any means. I think there is a lot of enthusiasm. The situation looks a lot different than it did two months ago.”

It will be super easy for Newton to win it. Barely an inconvenience.

It will be super easy for Newton to win it. Barely an inconvenience.

I think it is a legit competition and Stiddy will at least make it hard for the coaches to decide to roll with Newton.

I’m rooting for Stidham, but I think Newton wins it. IF Stidham somehow wins it, it would be a great sign for him and his future as an NFL QB.

Because of his rookie contract I'm pulling for Stidham to be the GOAT 2.0, but I think that I have a better chance of convincing my wife to move to Utah and welcoming a second wife into the family than Stidham has of winning the QB battle this year.

Former Patriots Coach Weighs In On Cam Newton, Jarrett Stidham Battle

Scarnecchia weighed in recently on Stidham and Newton. Interesting stuff...

“I think [Newton] has a huge edge, because of what he’s done in the league. The guy was an MVP [in 2015]. “[Jarrett] Stidham has great feet and ability to move and avoid the rush, and create and do a lot of similar things. I don’t think he’s to Cam’s skill set, but this guy is a pretty good player. He also has a tremendous work ethic and he’s a smart guy. I know this, you have to be a smart guy to play quarterback in that system."

I think it's a coin flip.

Any thoughts on why Scarnecchia chose to make the observation which is highlighted in red?

Last edited:

Any thoughts on why Scarnecchia chose to make the observation which is highlighted in red?

I think he was saying Stidham is smart.

We are in the game, I like this post! I'm excited for the competition. I believe Stidham has the slight advantage as he has experience with the Pats playbook. But who knows with BB maybe Hoyer will be out there wk 1 lol.

I think it is a legit competition and Stiddy will at least make it hard for the coaches to decide to roll with Newton.

Thats the best case scenario and I hope that happens

Really excited for our first preseason game this Friday to find out!

Good point.

So does that give him an edge?

He'll be a smart backup QB in 2020. And he's definitely got an edge over the guy they signed to be QB4.

He said Stidham was smart and you have to be to play QB here.

Not breaking news.

Good point.

Does this give Stidham an edge in the competition for the starting job?
No, he was giving Cam praise a few sentences before he said that.

Reading between the lines it seems clear to me Cam is QB1 if healthy. No question. They still love Stidham.

Cam is here bc ...
1)the team friendly deal they were able to reach

2)his unique skill set still adds up to a top 10-12 QB when he's able to play

Not bc they don't believe in Stidham. He could use the competition and gets a real "break in" year with a real chance at playing time bc of Cam's history.

Since the merger, eight quarterbacks have left the team where they won an MVP for a new one (Manning, McNair, Favre, Warner, Montana, Esiason, Bert Jones and Stabler). All of them began the season as the starter for their new team. Brady and Newton make the ninth and tenth such players. Cam not being the starter, barring injury, is historically unprecedented and unlikely.

No, he was giving Cam praise a few sentences before he said that.

Reading between the lines it seems clear to me Cam is QB1 if healthy. No question. They still love Stidham.

Cam is here bc ...
1)the team friendly deal they were able to reach

2)his unique skill set still adds up to a top 10-12 QB when he's able to play

Not bc they don't believe in Stidham. He could use the competition and gets a real "break in" year with a real chance at playing time bc of Cam's history.

call-me-hand_1f919.png

Will be interesting to watch it play out.

If BB successfully subjugates Cam and they can stay on the same page the resulting production could be...

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Pretty entertaining that people think Stidham has a chance to actively win the job.

His only shot to be on the field is if Newton's health intervenes.

BB saw how this season would be problematic especially for a new QB and went out and got a proven experienced QB in Newton.

Under normal circumstances with a complete practice regimen and all preseason games, Stidham had a legit shot to be the opening day QB. But thats not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down