PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Rule Proposals (Pats Secondary Potentially Screwed?)

This is only a big deal if it is imposed for all the defenders. Still, I don't like the way it sounds. Will have to see more before I condemn it.

Just waiting for the 3 Mississippi rule to be suggested.

There are simpler ways to add attention to the Extra Point Conversion. Simply move the 2 point conversion in from the 2 to the 1 yard line. Then 2 pt conversions might occur say 75% of the time, instead fo say 50% of the time.

Does a Coach take the almost assured 1 Point, or the increased probability of the 2 point conversion?:confused:

Where will the NFL be in 20 years? No hits? Basically flag football becasue the hits hurt too much?

Players accept the risk. Leave it as is.
That is very easy to say from the sidelines, but you're not the one being sued for billions of dollars for negligence related to player injuries.

6. The Patriots proposed allowing a coach to challenge any decisions from officials, while the Redskins proposed being able to review personal fouls. New England's proposal is far-fetched because it would slow down the game. Perhaps Washington's idea could gain some traction.

Why would it slow down game? The amount of challenges doesn't change
While it doesn't increase the amount of challenges a team gets, it will certainly increase the amount of challenges used.

That doesn't necessarily mean I oppose it, just that it should be acknowledged it would slow games down a little.

Maybe I'm reading it differently, but my take on this is that it's not a big deal

It's only pass interference if the ball is targeted 1 yard to a receiver - and frankly it should be - you shouldn't be able to interfere with a receiver trying to catch a ball whether its thrown 1 yard or 100

It seems to me the guys this hurts more are the mediocre CBs who NEED to use that 5 yard zone legal "bump" to slow down a receiver (and that contact would presumably still be legal - just as long as the ball isn't thrown to that receiver within that short zone)
Well you see, that's the problem. If the offense sees their WR"s getting bumped at the LOS, well, then just throw a 1-yard out pattern to that WR. Boom, free first down.

I don't like this new rule proposed, but I don't think it significantly changes the game.

Most of Peyton's passes were for 5 yds in the Superbowl. He sets the record for most short yardage passes. The NFL knows Peyton won't beat anyone deep over the top. This rule is definitely for him. I think basketball is now more physical than NFL football.

Well you see, that's the problem. If the offense sees their WR"s getting bumped at the LOS, well, then just throw a 1-yard out pattern to that WR. Boom, free first down.

Peyton has that quick release and would definitely do that very thing.

Most of Peyton's passes were for 5 yds in the Superbowl.
That's because the Seattle 2ndary pwned his deep threat all game long.
He sets the record for most short yardage passes.
A lot of people say the same thing about Brady. He throws 1 yard patterns all the time, usually after checking down at the LOS.
The NFL knows Peyton won't beat anyone deep over the top.
Peyton beats plenty of people over the top on a regular basis. He didn't do it in the Super Bowl but to make it sound like he doesn't throw the deep ball is ridiculous.

That is very easy to say from the sidelines, but you're not the one being sued for billions of dollars for negligence related to player injuries.

This is ******* stupid (not you SB39, the fact that it comes to this).

Don't play the game to make millions of dollars if you don't want to get hurt.

NFL to players. Please sign this form acknowledging that you can get pretty f'ed up playing football against giant human beings.

Player. Do I get paid? Show me where to sign.

A player not knowing that he might get hurt is the same as the schmuck using their hairdryer in the bathtub.

Stick a warning label on their jerseys and let em play.

That's because the Seattle 2ndary pwned his deep threat all game long.
A lot of people say the same thing about Brady. He throws 1 yard patterns all the time, usually after checking down at the LOS.
Peyton beats plenty of people over the top on a regular basis. He didn't do it in the Super Bowl but to make it sound like he doesn't throw the deep ball is ridiculous.

I haven't seen Peyton beat people with a deep ball when I've been able to watch. I've seen him throw some pretty bad wobblers. If he does get it there I'd like to see it. But I know he can't throw a consistent spiral and air it out like Brady.
What do you mean pawned his deep threat all game? Seattle took it away or gave it to him knowing he can't get it there? I remember the Ravens doing that a year ago in the playoffs.

I haven't seen Peyton beat people with a deep ball when I've been able to watch. I've seen him throw some pretty bad wobblers.
Yeah. Sure. He threw 55 TD's this year and 5,500 yards and they were all wobblers and 2 yard patterns. :rolleyes:

Yeah. Sure. He threw 55 TD's this year and 5,500 yards and they were all wobblers and 2 yard patterns. :rolleyes:

You're saying things I didn't say. I never said they are all wobblers and 2 yd patterns. Sometimes he gets a tight spiral. Not as often as Brady or Brees. Outdoors especially, I think the guy has trouble beating you with the deep ball. Partially cause he throws a lot of ducks and he lacks the arm strength he had when he was young and healthy. When I've watched, he throws a lot of short routes and mid routes. Not many deep attempts that I've seen. And I don't remember seeing him complete a deep ball recently.

And another one:

List of proposed NFL Rule Changes(13) & Bylaws(7) | TigerDroppings.com

So if anything this looks like just the opposite of what the OP here was worried about. It would appear the purpose of this rule is to allow OPI to be called more often.

Thank you. At least the folks who have the patience to actually read through a thread and compehend english are spared from a pointless debate. I actually like this rule change. What this would eliminate are the bubble screens, where the blocks are engaged before the ball arrives. If done well, this sort of blocking allows a receiver on the line of scrimmage to take-out a defender who is charging across the line to break-up or intercept a pass. It's a loophole int he OPI rules that many teams exploit better than the Pats. The Broncos (Wes in particular) are among the best at this, so they are probably glad it got tabled.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back