PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing New Pats OT Tyrone Wheatley Jr

Or from Covid itself - see Eduardo Rodriguez, the Red Sox pitcher who developed myocarditis after a Covid infection before any vaccines existed.
Stop with those facts that don’t support the conspiracy theorists! You should know better.

it could be anything. Medical privacy prevents any facts from being disclosed.

Stop with those facts that don’t support the conspiracy theorists! You should know better.

it could be anything. Medical privacy prevents any facts from being disclosed.

Someone was guessing Mononucleosis. Could be anything.

I believe Strong is a good RB. It’s hard to get something for nothing in this league and the Browns saw value. We got an OT that has never played in a single regular season game however….he’s 26. This is not someone that is going to replace McDermott, Reiff or Anderson any time soon…or maybe never. Our starting OT’s won’t change because of this trade. My hope is he is better then Stueber at OT and can maybe be an in-line blocker at TE.

Did you see the Bedard tweet? Loves Wheatley. I think he replaces McDermott, and Reiff and Anderson are lost for a long time. Maybe the season.

Without Anderson, Reiff, Steuber, and McDermott, we only have Brown and Sow. Sow is a project in Y1. Now we have Wheatly and Lowe plus Brown and Sow. ( rhymes ;-)). Much better group. Add a high 2024 LT draft pick next year, plus this year's IOL draft picks, and we are all set for a few years heading into a playoff push.

Unrelated: need a fatty.

Did you see the Bedard tweet? Loves Wheatley. I think he replaces McDermott, and Reiff and Anderson are lost for a long time. Maybe the season.

Without Anderson, Reiff, Steuber, and McDermott, we only have Brown and Sow. Sow is a project in Y1. Now we have Wheatly and Lowe plus Brown and Sow. ( rhymes ;-)). Much better group. Add a high 2024 LT draft pick next year, plus this year's IOL draft picks, and we are all set for a few years heading into a playoff push.
Yes. Exactly as you said. Question is whether Wheatley and Lowe are here to hold the fort for a few weeks or for the season.

I’m not sure if McDermott is hurt or just cut, doesn’t really matter he’s not on the 53 to start the season. If he’s hurt he might be able to come back after a few weeks. Steuber obviously doesn’t make the cut. Anderson is on PUP so might be able to be activated in a few weeks, but not to be counted on and remains to be seen. Severity of Reiff‘s injury isn’t clear, but he’s obviously not available week 1 and possibly not at all, although he also might be able to come back later in the season.

best course of action is assume they’re all lost for the season, plan accordingly, and if any of them can come back that’s pure gravy. Picking up Lowe and Wheatley is best response possible. They’ve got a chance to rise to the occasion and they seem likely to be upgrades over at least a couple of the guys we lost.

As for Sow, his RAS scores are off the charts.
Not really. Sow’s scores are excellent. Almost identical with Jaelyn Duncan taken 186 by the Titans. Remember we gave up 120 and 184 to the Jets to get the kicker at 112. Bad move.

Cole Strange’s RAS were off the charts.

The 6’6” 320 pound Jaelyn Duncan played LT all four years at Maryland after his redshirt year. Sow was exclusively a guard after 2018. You know the guy we intend to use as a tackle but was a guard in college? Kinda backwards.

Picking up Lowe and Wheatley is best response possible. They’ve got a chance to rise to the occasion and they seem likely to be upgrades over at least a couple of the guys we lost.
What you got against Bill Murray?

I assume you mean in free agency and the draft? For the draft I prefer to take the BPA, not targeting a position and forcing the pick. Unfortunately we have a bit of a hole, but by next year the hole will be filled, and we will have some great players (Gonzo, White, Mapu, etc.).

I was not criticizing your post, just wanted to add something.
As far as drafting, I completely agree with you. The additions to defense are significant... and there WERE multiple OL drafted by us. Our defense will, IMO, get us a winning record this year and pay dividends going forward into future years.

It's just that the major weakness of this team has obviously been the OL. FAs were signed, guys were drafted, but as a fan base we are right to be nervous. Maybe Brown and Onwenu will have a huge season at tackle, D Andrews delivers again, Strange takes a step up, and RG (usually considered the easiest position on the OL) gets sufficiently filled by Reiff and/or the picks we took.

A lot of people clamored for signing Hopkins with our available $, but it would be great to have spent that money on having another stalwart in place at OT.

Someone jumped on the diagnosis that DaBruinz, which he acknowledges is pure speculation, of a possible heart condition for Calvin Anderson.

This is not unreasonable as the anecdotes of heart-related maladies are becoming legion among seemingly healthy young people from the Covid jab.

If this proves to be true, a big if, Anderson might not be available for much if at all this season.

Clearly bringing in an athletic specimen like Wheatley with the appropriate length to play LT is absolutely essential.

Sidy Sow was brought in to be developed as a tackle, but this year as a rookie he needs to be essentially redshirted.*

And I think with McDermott not being unseated by Reiff at RT the staff realizes that Reiff is better suited as a guard or reserve tackle.

If McDermott or Reiff have to play LT, we may be screwed. If Stueber is there, I’ll be like that guy needing to sniff glue in the movie Airplane.

* Or at least that was probably the plan.
Lloyd Bridges, father of Jeff and Beau, star of Sea Hunt

As far as drafting, I completely agree with you. The additions to defense are significant... and there WERE multiple OL drafted by us. Our defense will, IMO, get us a winning record this year and pay dividends going forward into future years.
and lots of noise from some posters that the wrong OL rookies were drafted. But honestly, that crew would be carping the same song no matter who was drafted.
It's just that the major weakness of this team has obviously been the OL. FAs were signed, guys were drafted, but as a fan base we are right to be nervous. Maybe Brown and Onwenu will have a huge season at tackle, D Andrews delivers again, Strange takes a step up, and RG (usually considered the easiest position on the OL) gets sufficiently filled by Reiff and/or the picks we took.
From the two trades today it‘s evident not just the fan base is concerned. The team has given attention to the OL in FA signings, in the draft, and now in trades. What else could they have done?
A lot of people clamored for signing Hopkins with our available $, but it would be great to have spent that money on having another stalwart in place at OT.
The team threw significant money into signing two potential OT stalwarts, so basically they did what you called for. One got sick, one got hurt. Maybe if they signed another stalwart OT he‘d be headed for the IR too. There are several other teams that have also seen OTs injured during this preseason.

here‘s the thing:
as you say, the team signed FAs
as you say, the team drafted OL rookies
guys got hurt, so the team traded for guys they wanted instead of dumpster diving after cutdowns

and most of the posts here are criticizing the team for not doing enough to solve the problem.

what more could they do?

and lots of noise from some posters that the wrong OL rookies were drafted. But honestly, that crew would be carping the same song no matter who was drafted.

From the two trades today it‘s evident not just the fan base is concerned. The team has given attention to the OL in FA signings, in the draft, and now in trades. What else could they have done?

The team threw significant money into signing two potential OT stalwarts, so basically they did what you called for. One got sick, one got hurt. Maybe if they signed another stalwart OT he‘d be headed for the IR too. There are several other teams that have also seen OTs injured during this preseason.

here‘s the thing:
as you say, the team signed FAs
as you say, the team drafted OL rookies
guys got hurt, so the team traded for guys they wanted instead of dumpster diving after cutdowns

and most of the posts here are criticizing the team for not doing enough to solve the problem.

what more could they do?
If the Pats had drafted the OT in the first round instead of trading the pick to Pittsburgh, we would be inundated with Christian Gonzalez highlights every day from whoever drafted him lamenting that we let the next Deion Sanders get away.

Not really. Sow’s scores are excellent. Almost identical with Jaelyn Duncan taken 186 by the Titans. Remember we gave up 120 and 184 to the Jets to get the kicker at 112. Bad move.

Cole Strange’s RAS were off the charts.

The 6’6” 320 pound Jaelyn Duncan played LT all four years at Maryland after his redshirt year. Sow was exclusively a guard after 2018. You know the guy we intend to use as a tackle but was a guard in college? Kinda backwards.
I don't disagree about a kicker in the 4th TE, OT might have been MY choices, but they weren't MY choices. I'm guessing that between Kajuste, Stuber, and Murry, etc they thought that at least ONE would emerge as the back up to whoever emerged from the McDermott/Rieff battle at RT; So it made sense that they could afford the time to pick a developmental guy like Sow who has size length and athletic ability in the 6th to be a great prospect at OT, but hasn't had the reps at the position He was NOT the guy you wanted to be starting preseason games;

But all the injuries on the OL gave us NOTHING to gauge our OL since we haven't come CLOSE to seeing a full starting group this summer, If Strange and Owenu are im pads on Monday, then it won't be TOO horrible opening day and will get better over time. Maybe steal a win or 2 while the REAL preseason goes on.

You guys are harsh out here. I am not a cheerleader it's true. I voice my opinion and most of the time its not popular on this board.

I really like Strong and thought he would be an excellent change of pace back with athleticism for big plays and also an excellent receiver. I see him as a high upside player with athleticism that the Pats lack. I feel he never really got enough of a chance.
I do not know too much about Wheatley. He has not played many regular season games.
It would be fantastic if he works out because I have been pointing out the impossibility of being a good team in this league without strong line play on both sides of the ball.
I still would have preferred they prioritized proven OL free agent pickups and also used some high round draft capital to pickup a high upside tackle. Until they have a dominating OL, they will not be competitive.

Wheatley is a crap shoot, shot in the dark.
Sam, the high end tackle class in this draft sucked, and they weren’t worth the cost. That’s reaching with the highest picks, and the best way to ensure your team always sucks, which is why the worst teams have been doing it for years, take the inferior player at a need over the better player sitting right there for you. Instead they get t three players of need in the first three rounds, and all three appear to be great picks.

And Sam there is a big difference between being critical and being endlessly negative and beating a dead horse. You wanted an OT in the first round and haven’t stopped complaining about them taking something else ever since. No one is happy about the current state of the tackle position, but you can’t fix every problem every season. They addressed a number of significant problems this off-season, and will address more next offseason. Hopefully they will either find a fix at tackle this season, or a high quality OT will be there when they draft next April.

if we see Brown-Strange-DAndrews and Onwenu at 100% ready game 1, with Sow, Maffi, J Andrews, Russey, Wheatley and Lowe developing, I like how it shapes up. Reiff and Anderson potential reinforcements mid season if needed.
how fast can the first 4 be ready/cohesive after not taking a single snap together all summer?

I am okay with the draft picks but why sign reiff to such a high guarantees contract at his age.

This had signs of agholor signing . Why fall into a known pit?

I am okay with the draft picks but why sign reiff to such a high guarantees contract at his age.

This had signs of agholor signing . Why fall into a known pit?
They were prob in a bidding war.

This is nothing close to the Agholor signing. A 1yr $5m for a starting OL/RT is very reasonable.

if we see Brown-Strange-DAndrews and Onwenu at 100% ready game 1, with Sow, Maffi, J Andrews, Russey, Wheatley and Lowe developing, I like how it shapes up. Reiff and Anderson potential reinforcements mid season if needed.
how fast can the first 4 be ready/cohesive after not taking a single snap together all summer?
Those first 4 have played together in past seasons. Maybe not as well as they should’ve, but enough to know each other.

good thing about those two trades is that they get the players into Foxboro a few days earlier than waiting for cutdowns would’ve. That’s great, gives more time for them all to work together.

now Coach Klemm has two weeks to do his best impression of Dante. This would be a perfect time to have Dante visit for a few days, maybe on a consulting contract…

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back