New England Patriots Training Camp Primer - Running Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
New England Patriots Training Camp Primer - Running Backs

Steve Balestrieri

Gillislee is the type of one-cut runner that hits the hole quickly. He will take over Blount’s duties and carries especially in the red zone. He’s more the size of Stevan Ridley than Blount but his quickness off the line makes him an intriguing player to watch this season. I think he’s another player that should fit very well here.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

This will be a good training camp in many respects but kind of boring in others.

This roster has very few spots where young guys can crack it or there is legit competition for spots.

RB/FB is the focus in that article and one of the more interesting spots and either Bolden or Foster will be hard to let walk. This will be one of the big drama spots to watch as whoever we let walked is signed the next day and won't see our practice squad likely.

WR not be interesting but it will be interesting to see if Amendola can hold down his spot over Hawkins. I think he does but it will put heat on him.

OL is one of the more interesting spots. Cannon, Solder, Garcia are the OT locks and Mason, Thuney, Andrews are the IOL locks. One would think Karras and Flemming are very likely (Karras is a near lock) but that probably leaves one more spot anyway. Waddle will fight hard to stay and they did draft McDermott so that gives him a little extra weight. However I think they are looking for a 5th IOL more than a 5th OT and that spot is wide open. I hope for growth from this group and to build on a pretty good 2016 campaign that ended fairly disappointingly for them with an underwhelming playoff run.

QB is locked. Nothing to talk about.

TE is one of the more interesting spots. Gronk and Allen are locks but wide open after. Be a nice spot for an UDFA to show up out of no where.

DT is not even worth worrying about or watching. We got 4 guys locked down and Augusta is just too far away from being ready to carry on the 53 i think. He needs a full off season of conditioning and to get leaner. Was likely the only guy who could shake that spot up.

DE does have some drama focused around Grissom and Nink. I think this is Nink's last year (unless he falls off hard). Grissom will try to keep a spot on the team but it will be hard. Maybe Nink is moved to LB more or he is. That is the only drama here.

LB is the worst spot on the roster but not Harris improves it. Him and Hightower are locks. After that it is guess work. Langi is the most interesting name to watch IMO though and I hope he steps up in an area where depth and youth is needed. We can talk about Freeny, Roberts, McClellin and Van Noy but besides McClellin blocking a FG this year none did anything overly impressive on STs or Ds. Basically a bunch of JAGs IMO until proven otherwise.

CB is a spot that will be fun with tough competition for the last spot. Butler, Rowe, Gilmore are locks. The Jones' are probably locks too but Cyrus could be that rare 2nd year cut of a 2nd round draft pick. He stands a chance to play himself off this team with a bunch of key STers and interesting rookies to consider. Probably not but possible. Jon Jones though is a lock i think. He was electrifying on STs last year.

S could be tough as they will want to carry 6 this year again but likely can't. McCourty Chung and Harmon are safe. Richards i think is partly a victim of circumstance as he never gets on the field with those 3 in front of him and always healthy so far which is a good thing. Ebner makes it on STs and so should King but it will be hard. Coleman is here for a last gasp but i think he is out. Overall though i love the young DB UDFAs in here and I think a name comes from it that virtually demands keeping and throws the DBs into chaos. That would really give us something to chew on so i hope it happens and tough choices must be made.

Among STs no surprises will happen for the 4 core guys. Slater, Gost, Allen and Cardona stay.

Do we have an idea when Training Camp times will be?

The depth at most positions is awesome this season. With the fact that NFL teams can designate two players to short term IR, I have a recurring dream that BB uses these spots for Amendola and Lewis. This will keep these two key players fresh late in the season when they will really be needed. Also, it gives a chance for players like Hawkins, Carr or Lucien to show what they have to offer at slot receiver and Foster to show his stuff at RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye