PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New CTE Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
I predict that by the end of 10 years there will be a non-zero number of states that outright ban tackle football leagues (private and public) for children under some age. Don't know what that age will be. Probably not 18yo, but I bet 13yo is a likely number.

There has to be a way to design helmets that would prevent this

There has to be a way to design helmets that would prevent this
there is not. Prevention is the only medicine this. But players have known it was dangerous for very long time, but we are getting closer to the state making determinations on the behalf of the saftey of minors at some point.

It is possible that college football will truly, eventually become the minors for pro football, because many good young athletes, in the future, may not be able to start this sport legally until that age frame.

PS: remember the airplane "black box" joke, "why don't they make the whole plane out of that material" that is an extremely but appropriate comparison.

CTE will eventually be the end of football.....at least greatly diminish it.....like boxing

unless they can make some super helmet

taking PEDs out of the game might possibly help...

..but fans might not like "smaller, slower, weaker"

My 8 year old son eats, drinks and sleeps football (shocking I know) and he plays flag football. I've told him that these players pay a price for the abuse they sustain to their bodies. While I definitely encourage his love of the game I wouldn't let him play tackle either, he's too smart to see his brains scrambled from too many hits.

I have said it before and I honestly believe that as more of these studies come out eventually the NFL will become flag football in my lifetime. While that is sad, I don't see any other way around it. It's one thing to blow out your knee but when you're talking about the brain, the risk is just too great.

Enjoy the gladiators we see today because they could be the last of their breed.

My 8 year old son eats, drinks and sleeps football (shocking I know) and he plays flag football. I've told him that these players pay a price for the abuse they sustain to their bodies. While I definitely encourage his love of the game I wouldn't let him play tackle either, he's too smart to see his brains scrambled from too many hits.

I have said it before and I honestly believe that as more of these studies come out eventually the NFL will become flag football in my lifetime. While that is sad, I don't see any other way around it. It's one thing to blow out your knee but when you're talking about the brain, the risk is just too great.

Enjoy the gladiators we see today because they could be the last of their breed.
That's a sad fact that you wouldn't allow your son to play tackle football. My sons both played in HS, and one in College. The positive experiences they got from the game are too long (even for me) to start to list. The result was well worth any potential risk there MIGHT be.

Remember the study talked about ANY blow to the head could cause CTE. Are you going to have him wear a protective helmet ALL the time. Will you never let him get his driver's license, or for that matter ever get into a car driven by a teenager.

Come on Pheonix. How protective can a parent be? Of course, I'm wildly biased on the subject, but my recommendation (since you asked ;) ) would be to allow him to continue to play flag, and when he gets to HS and still wants to play....let him.

As a parent who has been through this, I was infinitely more worried whenever my kids got into a car with friends than I was when they played football.

That's a sad fact that you wouldn't allow your son to play tackle football. My sons both played in HS, and one in College. The positive experiences they got from the game are too long (even for me) to start to list. The result was well worth any potential risk there MIGHT be.

Remember the study talked about ANY blow to the head could cause CTE. Are you going to have him wear a protective helmet ALL the time. Will you never let him get his driver's license, or for that matter ever get into a car driven by a teenager.

Come on Pheonix. How protective can a parent be? Of course, I'm wildly biased on the subject, but my recommendation (since you asked ;) ) would be to allow him to continue to play flag, and when he gets to HS and still wants to play....let him.

As a parent who has been through this, I was infinitely more worried whenever my kids got into a car with friends than I was when they played football.

Well I am an unabashed card carrying helicopter parent at least when it comes to safety. I view my job as getting my son to adulthood in one piece. After that if he wants to join the naked coed ski jumping team, that’s his decision.

I wouldn’t put a helmet on him when he’s driving because he’s not going to be getting his bell rung every time he takes a trip to the store. According to this latest study it’s not even the concussions, it’s the hits. Depending upon the position that could be every play. It just seems like a potentially big price to pay for something that is just going to be recreational for 99.99% of the players.

Maybe he can become a kicker, punter or long snapper LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents