PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Tuesday Patriots Notebook 3/19: News and Notes

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 3/19: News and Notes
Ian Logue
While the Patriots have made some key re-signings and added a couple of depth players, the club still finds itself in a tough spot when it comes to the offensive tackle spot heading into week two of free agency.

The post Tuesday Patriots Notebook 3/19: News and Notes appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

While it would make for a great story if Calvin Anderson would be able to step up, overcome last year's mystery illness and become a solid starter - I hope Mayo and Wolf have that scenario as Plan D or E. The reality is that he hasn't done anything in the NFL since entering the league as an undrafted rookie in 2019. Assuming the Pats draft an OT at #34, he needs to be ready to start in Week One. Unfortunately that player is going to only be about the 8th best tackle in this draft class.

However, another unknown is Calvin Anderson, who has made it known all offseason that he’s on a mission to get back to where he was prior to the illness that sidelined him in 2023.
Having a player with that kind of motivation is never a bad thing, and it’s possible he could end up being the X-factor and full the role they hoped he would last year this fall.
Tyrone Wheatley Jr., who also sat out last season, could also be a factor.
Meanwhile, the draft is one of the deepest ones at that position in years. Mel Kiper Jr.’s latest mock draft has him seeing seven offensive tackles come off the board in round one, with quite a few names also expected to be available in round two.

Reactions: Ian
While it would make for a great story if Calvin Anderson would be able to step up, overcome last year's mystery illness and become a solid starter - I hope Mayo and Wolf have that scenario as Plan D or E. The reality is that he hasn't done anything in the NFL since entering the league as an undrafted rookie in 2019. Assuming the Pats draft an OT at #34, he needs to be ready to start in Week One. Unfortunately that player is going to only be about the 8th best tackle in this draft class.

However, another unknown is Calvin Anderson, who has made it known all offseason that he’s on a mission to get back to where he was prior to the illness that sidelined him in 2023.
Having a player with that kind of motivation is never a bad thing, and it’s possible he could end up being the X-factor and full the role they hoped he would last year this fall.
Tyrone Wheatley Jr., who also sat out last season, could also be a factor.
Meanwhile, the draft is one of the deepest ones at that position in years. Mel Kiper Jr.’s latest mock draft has him seeing seven offensive tackles come off the board in round one, with quite a few names also expected to be available in round two.
I agree - that's not something I'd bet the farm on, but it's one of those types of stories where it could potentially be something we're talking about in September as being a bright spot depending on how things play out. But as you said, that's a massive "maybe" and not something they can/should count on.

The right side of the line is at least essentially solidified with Sidy Sow and Mike Onwenu, with Rapoport saying Onwenu is expected to play tackle. So with Anderson and Okorafor, maybe they can weather bringing along a rookie, depending on how it goes. And maybe Wheatley Jr. is healthy enough to factor in, who knows.

Obviously, the preference would have been to sign someone, but that hasn't happened. At least not yet.

I think we'll get a better idea if the line is going to work or not come camp. We saw how it unfolded last year.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back