PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Should They Trade Back, Patriots May Already Have a Solution in Nathan Rourke Ahead Of 2024 Draft

Hey @Ian, how do you see this working with what you were talking about the last few days about developing young QBs. That quote from Vrabel stood out about not having reps for their backup QBs. Beyond camp, is there any opportunity a Rourke or a rookie could really develop through the year if they're not getting QB1 reps?

Reactions: Ian
At Ohio University his completion percentage peaked at 61%, nothing special. However, Rourke had 60 TD to 20 Int in his three seasons there, including an impressive 20:5 in his senior year. In the CFL in 2022 he put up some gawdy numbers in nine starts, completing 79% of his passes, with 25 TD and 10 Int.

Is his CFL to NFL trajectory going to compare to Warren Moon? That would be nice, but doubtful. Former CFL QBs Jeff Garcia or Vince Ferragamo would be more realistic.
Right. It’s all prove on the field at this point.
Ryan Mallett had similar numbers at Arkansas vs better competition. However, there have been a few Qbs from the cfl/arena that took the style of game and were better for it.

Hey @Ian, how do you see this working with what you were talking about the last few days about developing young QBs. That quote from Vrabel stood out about not having reps for their backup QBs. Beyond camp, is there any opportunity a Rourke or a rookie could really develop through the year if they're not getting QB1 reps?
That take by Vrabel was eye-opening. And Rourke got screwed somewhat - my opinion, not his - down in Jacksonville because he picked the Jaguars out of all the teams he worked out for earlier that year, primarily to have a shot at becoming the backup. Instead, Pederson never gave him that opportunity and was steadfast with Beathard, which, from what I understand, left him pretty disappointed. It also, as the 3rd QB, left him with limited reps, which made it challenging.

But to your point, from a general sense, with limited practice time, fewer preseason games (and likely another one being taken away when the league ultimately goes to 18 games), it's going to be tough for any prospect - QB or otherwise - to emerge. Definitely an issue the league needs to address, especially given the additional limitations from the NFLPA.

Very interesting stuff.

I take the coach's words with a grain of salt. He also seems to be a very tall guy since Rourke is supposed to be 6'2" and this guy is pretty tall comparatively. This doesn't mean anything, I know. Just wondering if Rourke is really 6'2"

Nathan Rourke and a rookie like my guy Spencer Rattler (a day two pick) behind Brissett forms an adequate, even somewhat promising QB room. And Zappe can also be a legit backup.

But McDermott or Anderson or the cast off from Pittsburgh or Reiff at LT? That’s bad.

Real bad.

Oh No Not Today GIF by All Creatures Great And Small

Daniels or Maye!!!

How awkward would that be if they use a 1st on a QB and then Rourke becomes a Kurt Warner?

Not buying it, but my thoughts did drift for a few moments.
I could live with that.

Best case scenario: We draft a legit Franchise QB in this draft (sit him his rookie season for a multitude of good reasons), and Rourke earns the starting job over Brissett (who then becomes backup/veteran mentor type).

...with limited practice time, fewer preseason games (and likely another one being taken away when the league ultimately goes to 18 games), it's going to be tough for any prospect - QB or otherwise - to emerge. Definitely an issue the league needs to address, especially given the additional limitations from the NFLPA.
Which means Rourke needs to show what he's got in camp if he wants any chance. If he can't beat out Brisket and the rookie, he's going to be in for another frustrating season as a QB3.

• Agree
He should be on the 53, hopefully being the backup in 2025.

He's a longshot if we're being real. But nothing wrong with an underdog story until the draft starts.

Patriots free agency has been a snooze for the most part so it looks like that's what we have to look forward to for actual excitement.

I know weed is legal in MA but you shouldn't smoke it before writing an article.
Lol, what started as a friendly chat with Justin, became a little more interesting when I followed that up with talking to Rourke’s throwing coach. Along with seeing video of him working out.

Again, this was based on pondering the premise of how they could make the best of it if they trade back. If they ultimately take someone in the first round, it’s a moot point.

Last edited:
Getting back to the idea of giving reps to the rookie (and Rourke), I wonder if McAdoo’s job is going to mostly be working with the rookie, to get him ready for 2025 while AVP works with Brisket and Rourke on the ins and outs of the 2024 season?

Bill will have the last laugh is he hits on another underdog that turns out to be a franchise QB.

Great article Ian. I appreciate the time and effort it must have taken for the write up.

Rourke looks good in the links to the videos that you provided. However, it is difficult to imagine someone putting their job on line for CFL backup QB to become a starter.

Best case scenario: We draft a legit Franchise QB in this draft (sit him his rookie season for a multitude of good reasons), and Rourke earns the starting job over Brissett (who then becomes backup/veteran mentor type).
Why not Brissett? The perfect scenario is that Rourke steps forward to start next year and the franchise takes over at some point. With QB1 and 2 set, resign Brissett next year since he can still bring value.

Should They Trade Back, Patriots May Already Have a Solution in Nathan Rourke Ahead Of 2024 Draft
Ian Logue
The decision to claim former CFL quarterback Nathan Rourke off of waivers back in December could be one of the final moves by Bill Belichick that could pay dividends.

The post Should They Trade Back, Patriots May Already Have a Solution in Nathan Rourke Ahead Of 2024 Draft appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread

Nice story but solution? The guy is totally unproven in the NFL. Pats have to take on of the top QB in the draft. A lot of mocks now have JJ charging up the charts….but I think we take Maye or Daniels at 3….they will sit and learn this year and Zappe and rourke will fight it out to see who backs up Brissett

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back