PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots Mac Jones Again Stuck in Neutral During Sunday’s Win – Can He Be Fixed?

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Mac Jones Again Stuck in Neutral During Sunday’s Win – Can He Be Fixed?
Ian Logue
Quarterback Mac Jones played in just his second full game in over a month on Sunday, with the quarterback trying to build on a lackluster performance against the Jets one week ago.

The post Patriots Mac Jones Again Stuck in Neutral During Sunday’s Win – Can He Be Fixed? appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Some insightful thoughts in this article such as...
“But again, Mac Jones is regressing, and I don’t know if it’s a byproduct of the coaching decision to put those guys in place, whether it’s the coaching and the playcalling, whether it’s the offensive line, but in the end, the concern has to be how badly is Mac regressing and can he be dug out and rehabilitated?”

Some insightful thoughts in this article such as...
Not sure where you're going with that, but here's the entire quote from Curran:

“There were opportunities, it seemed, on a couple of those clips – and some, it collapsed down the middle – but there were opportunities to step up,” said Curran on the protection breakdowns up front. “But it is the jumpiness, and I believe, as Ted [Johnson] pointed out, that we’re not seeing a lot of crossers, we’re not having the overhead view, but I heard Adam Archuleta on the telecast say they ran three verticals there, it was a third down or something, you have to have crossers, you have to have crossers for a struggling offense.”

“But without a classic slot, or a James White, or a Julian Edelman, those of kind of underneath guys to hit who will make yards after the catch, Jakobi Meyers has improved at that, they are a little bit handcuffed.”

“But again, Mac Jones is regressing, and I don’t know if it’s a byproduct of the coaching decision to put those guys in place, whether it’s the coaching and the playcalling, whether it’s the offensive line, but in the end, the concern has to be how badly is Mac regressing and can he be dug out and rehabilitated?”

Not sure where you're going with that, but here's the entire quote from Curran:

“There were opportunities, it seemed, on a couple of those clips – and some, it collapsed down the middle – but there were opportunities to step up,” said Curran on the protection breakdowns up front. “But it is the jumpiness, and I believe, as Ted [Johnson] pointed out, that we’re not seeing a lot of crossers, we’re not having the overhead view, but I heard Adam Archuleta on the telecast say they ran three verticals there, it was a third down or something, you have to have crossers, you have to have crossers for a struggling offense.”

“But without a classic slot, or a James White, or a Julian Edelman, those of kind of underneath guys to hit who will make yards after the catch, Jakobi Meyers has improved at that, they are a little bit handcuffed.”

Right, I read the entire quote. I highlighted the biggest takeaway which is the degree of Mac's regression and the question of whether or not he can improve. Based on your own comments in the article, and your quotes from Curran, it seems like you agree with him.

Has there been an explanation for why Mac slide inside the 5-yard line on 3rd-and-goal when he had 30 pounds on the DB between him and the end zone? His tentativeness seems to have more to do something other than a lack of confidence in the o-line or play-calling.

Also, there were no Zappe chants yesterday. There was some booing (of Mac and the offense) for sure but nothing unusual. The outcome not really being in doubt by halftime (especially with Ehlinger under center on the other side) probably curbed some of the frustration with the offense.

The bye will do Mac some good, and then they should coast to another home victory against the Jets, but thereafter Mac will have to playing at an optimal level because they're not getting through the latter part of their schedule without solid quarterback play.

Has there been an explanation for why Mac slide inside the 5-yard line on 3rd-and-goal when he had 30 pounds on the DB between him and the end zone? His tentativeness seems to have more to do something other than a lack of confidence in the o-line or play-calling.
Mac, to follow up, in the fourth quarter, there was a scramble play. Looked like you had the touchdown right there, one defender to beat, but didn't happen. Can you take us back to the play and explain your thought process there?

"I'll have to watch the film. There was somebody in front of me. Otherwise, I'd have gone in the end zone. Pretty simple."

Mac, to follow up, in the fourth quarter, there was a scramble play. Looked like you had the touchdown right there, one defender to beat, but didn't happen. Can you take us back to the play and explain your thought process there?

"I'll have to watch the film. There was somebody in front of me. Otherwise, I'd have gone in the end zone. Pretty simple."
Curran asked why he didn't get the touchdown on a broken play that he scrambled to get positive yards? I don't care....it's a broken play. Ask questions about why he isn't seeing the field as well as last season. Or are progressions different this year? Or does he feel he needs to work on pocket pressure and stepping up in the pocket. Who cares about a broken play scramble.

Patriots Mac Jones Again Stuck in Neutral During Sunday’s Win – Can He Be Fixed?
Ian Logue
Quarterback Mac Jones played in just his second full game in over a month on Sunday, with the quarterback trying to build on a lackluster performance against the Jets one week ago.

The post Patriots Mac Jones Again Stuck in Neutral During Sunday’s Win – Can He Be Fixed? appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
CHOICES
1) Jones was a solid prospect, had a great rookie year, and now has regressed by so much that he isn't a viable starter.
2) Jones was a solid prospect, had a great rookie year, and something changed between 2021 and 2022 that caused the Jones to regress.
3) Jones wasn't really a solid prospect. His rookie year was somehow an illusion,

MY CONCLUSION IS THAT #2 IS THE ANSWER
Consider that
1) The receivers are as good as in 2021.
2) The rb's are as good as in 2021.
3) The TE's are as good as in 2021.
4) The OT's are improved (Cajuste and Cannon replaced Herron)
5) We are the same at OC.
6) Arguably the guards are as good as in 2021: Strange and Onwenu replacing Karras and Mason.
=================
QUESTION
Yes, there have been injuries.
However, what has changed for the Offense to seem (and to be) so much worse than in 2021. Or is the poor performance an illusion?

The answer is so obvious that I won't even state it.

I feel worse about Mac after hearing his response to that excellent question.

Jones looked good as a rookie & we got good reports during camp on Jones looking good in camp.

So what happened?

Matt Patricia & Joe Judge may not be to blame, but Mac has declined under there coaching and that is not debatable.

If players are regressing, you have to look at the coach.

Did Belichick put $ or friendship ahead of his QB’s development? I say yes…..

Corky isn't close to being good enough to overcome not only his bad OL (especially when Thanksdad & Lose/Lose are out there), but also his OL's coaching, his play-caller AND his QB coach...

Bad Bad Bad Bad

Jones looked good as a rookie & we got good reports during camp on Jones looking good in camp.
He looked good as a rookie until he had 3 pass attempts against Buffalo. He hasn't been the same since and overall he had a poor finish to the 2021 season... 7 INTs in the team's 1-4 finish.

I was at the game. When he slid there was an audible "ugh" from the crowd. At least a third of the crowd got up and left. It wasn't just for that play but it was the straw that broke the camel's back. There was still 10 minutes left. He just seems like he has no confidence.

Curran asked why he didn't get the touchdown on a broken play that he scrambled to get positive yards? I don't care....it's a broken play. Ask questions about why he isn't seeing the field as well as last season. Or are progressions different this year? Or does he feel he needs to work on pocket pressure and stepping up in the pocket. Who cares about a broken play scramble.
That was this answer:

“Sometimes you miss things that people – you don’t know if you missed it or not on the field You walk off and are like, darn, I looked at the picture. Looked like it was there, but my eyes were starting where they were supposed to start,” explained Jones. “Sometimes that’s how it is. A lot of those sacks too, it’s just on me to get the ball out to the open guy. Doesn’t have to be an explosive play every time.”

“Like I said, I thought the guys stepped up with a lot of our – some of our starters out. That was really good. But got to watch the film and see how it really was. It’s all about timing and footwork. Does it match up to the play? Does your drop match up to the route to where your eyes are? Like I said, there’s good players on the other side of the ball. There’s a clock going on in your head. You’ve got to be ready for it. Can’t sit there and hold the ball all day.”

Yeah, get an OC and QB coach that know what the **** they're doing.

What evidence do we have that the OC doesn't know what he's doing (besides the fact the QB is playing poorly, which, maybe - just maybe - has more to do with the QB than the OC)?

I'll give you QB coach, though. No idea why Judge is anywhere near those guys.

The playcalling that is incredibly predictable or play to Mac's demonstrated strengths last year. The fact he seems to have no clue how to construct a series or get anybody besides Jakobi and Rham involved. The fact there's often no adjustments to a struggling offensive line. That's just what I, and some others who are more knowledgeable than me (IE: Orlovsky, Shaq Leonard, et al), are saying.

The playcalling that is incredibly predictable or play to Mac's demonstrated strengths last year. The fact he seems to have no clue how to construct a series or get anybody besides Jakobi and Rham involved. The fact there's often no adjustments to a struggling offensive line. That's just what I, and some others who are more knowledgeable than me (IE: Orlovsky, Shaq Leonard, et al), are saying.

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe I'm focused on the wrong stuff but I don't really see an offense that's stuck because of the play-calling.

The biggest difference I've noticed from last year to this year is far less 21 and 22 personnel, meaning no more FB. They're spreading the field, getting more athleticism on the field, not playing in a phonebooth. I much, much prefer the personnel/formation usage this season compared to recent McD's seasons.

The consternation about the offensive performance stems, from, what, three games? Chicago, New York, Indy, right? I recall a much more positive tone following the Browns, Lions games. That's probably because the offense performed better, and so the concerns about the OC went away ... until they started sucking again.

I guess I feel it's a little too convenient to blame Patricia. I'm sure he needs polish as a play-caller but I'm seeing issues with execution. Starts with the OL, they haven't been good recently. QB play needs to be better. Ball security needs to be better.

I'll rewatch some of the games with an eye on the offensive flow and see if I pickup on anything, but at least in my opinion - which, despite what I like to think, isn't worth much - the OC/play-calling has been fine.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back