PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots Free Agents: Who Stays and Who Goes?

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Free Agents: Who Stays and Who Goes?
Mark Morse
Now that the season is over, it's time to look at the Patriots' roster and specifically those players that are Free Agents.

The post Patriots Free Agents: Who Stays and Who Goes? appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Agree with your takes on Hoyer, Bolden, White, Karras, Folk, Collins, Hightower, King & Langi... Those last 4 need to Be Gone and Stay Gone.

I would offer Trent Brown no more than a one-year, incentive-laden contract for $7.5M.

JC Jackson Must be franchised.

Carl Davis sucks; if he's not willing to sign for one year, non-guaranteed, at the vet minimum, then sayonara.

JaWrong Bentley sucks too...I would offer him the same take-it-or-leave-it as Carl Davis.

I would offer DMac no more than a one-year contract for $5M.

Matt Slater for the NEP HoF? Absolutely.
Matt Slater for the Pro Football HoF? No ****ing way.
I would offer him no more than a one-year contract for $2M.

And I agree with your takes on our 3 RFAs.

p.s.: KVN & Shack Mason need to restructure their contracts (i.e.: Take pay cuts) or find someone else to pay them.

Just a few quibbles. Hightowers season total of tackles was pretty avg for what he has done most of his career, aside from a few seasons.

Bentley is entering his 5th year, not his 6th. I’m not a big fan of Bentley, but he definitely has a skill set that is beneficial. If he can come back dirt cheap, make it happen. If not, see ya and Gluck.

The McCourty situation is definitely going to be tough, at least from this fans perspective. You’re right that we have no one to truly replace his leadership and dependability next season and yes, he has clearly lost a step. If he wants to play another season, is he willing to go to another team and start over? It could be an exciting thought to him and his family. If that’s out of the question, then what is the lowest amount he is willing to play for? We just don’t have the money to be throwing around.

Carl Davis isn’t dependable, you literally have no idea which guy you’re going to get. King and Davis can go.

If you can get Brown back with an incentive laden contract that is affordable, do it.

If Brown comes back, see if there is a decent trade market for Wynn. If so, unload him. Throw Brown back at LT with Herron as the backup, and plug Onwenu back at RT. If that situation plays out, you’d be freeing up the 10M for Wynn, getting some draft capital, and definitely paying Brown less than 10M. Win-Win.

Bolden and White back at vet minimum.

Karras back at a team friendly contract.

Let Gunner go and pursue Berrios. He’s not a game changer, but he would bring a helluva lot more production to the receiving game and has some experience in the system.

Agree with your takes on Hoyer, Bolden, White, Karras, Folk, Collins, Hightower, King & Langi... Those last 4 need to Be Gone and Stay Gone.

I would offer Trent Brown no more than a one-year, incentive-laden contract for $7.5M.

JC Jackson Must be franchised.

Carl Davis sucks; if he's not willing to sign for one year, non-guaranteed, at the vet minimum, then sayonara.

JaWrong Bentley sucks too...I would offer him the same take-it-or-leave-it as Carl Davis.

I would offer DMac no more than a one-year contract for $5M.

Matt Slater for the NEP HoF? Absolutely.
Matt Slater for the Pro Football HoF? No ****ing way.
I would offer him no more than a one-year contract for $2M.

And I agree with your takes on our 3 RFAs.

p.s.: KVN & Shack Mason need to restructure their contracts (i.e.: Take pay cuts) or find someone else to pay them.
I plan on addressing the Re-structures / Cuts when I do the roster position analysis. KVN is on my cut list!

Just a few quibbles. Hightowers season total of tackles was pretty avg for what he has done most of his career, aside from a few seasons.

Bentley is entering his 5th year, not his 6th. I’m not a big fan of Bentley, but he definitely has a skill set that is beneficial. If he can come back dirt cheap, make it happen. If not, see ya and Gluck.

The McCourty situation is definitely going to be tough, at least from this fans perspective. You’re right that we have no one to truly replace his leadership and dependability next season and yes, he has clearly lost a step. If he wants to play another season, is he willing to go to another team and start over? It could be an exciting thought to him and his family. If that’s out of the question, then what is the lowest amount he is willing to play for? We just don’t have the money to be throwing around.

Carl Davis isn’t dependable, you literally have no idea which guy you’re going to get. King and Davis can go.

If you can get Brown back with an incentive laden contract that is affordable, do it.

If Brown comes back, see if there is a decent trade market for Wynn. If so, unload him. Throw Brown back at LT with Herron as the backup, and plug Onwenu back at RT. If that situation plays out, you’d be freeing up the 10M for Wynn, getting some draft capital, and definitely paying Brown less than 10M. Win-Win.

Bolden and White back at vet minimum.

Karras back at a team friendly contract.

Let Gunner go and pursue Berrios. He’s not a game changer, but he would bring a helluva lot more production to the receiving game and has some experience in the system.
I like the idea that is floating out there of a Wynn for Ridley trade. Atlanta needs to revamp its O-line. Get Wynn back to Georgia to jump-start his contract year. Ridley is no guarantee to even play a game due to his mental illness (no fault of his). The Pats only have one more year with Wynn and their salaries are a match. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

As far as Brown goes he is impeding the progress of Owenu. I don't like Owenu as a LG. He was one of the highest-rated RTs by PFF in 2020. Brown is injury prone. I think they can use their limited Free Agent money better than with Brown.

I like the idea that is floating out there of a Wynn for Ridley trade. Atlanta needs to revamp its O-line. Get Wynn back to Georgia to jump-start his contract year. Ridley is no guarantee to even play a game due to his mental illness (no fault of his). The Pats only have one more year with Wynn and their salaries are a match. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

As far as Brown goes he is impeding the progress of Owenu. I don't like Owenu as a LG. He was one of the highest-rated RTs by PFF in 2020. Brown is injury prone. I think they can use their limited Free Agent money better than with Brown.
Hadn’t seen the Wynn v Ridley one yet. Not too bad.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back