PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: NFL RUMORS: Wilson 'Beyond Frustrated' In Seattle

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
NFL RUMORS: Wilson 'Beyond Frustrated' In Seattle
Ian Logue
All of a sudden no quarterback seems secure this offseason and, apparently, it looks like you can add the Seahawks' Russell Wilson to that mix.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Hard to believe that after going to 2 SBs in his first 3 seasons as a starter (same as Kermit), Wilson hasn't been to one since then...Things haven't gone exactly as planned the past 6 years...I guess constantly chewing gum, clapping hands and acting as one of the boyz doesn't get a man as far as it used to get him...

Hard to believe that after going to 2 SBs in his first 3 seasons as a starter (same as Kermit), Wilson hasn't been to one since then...Things haven't gone exactly as planned the past 6 years...I guess constantly chewing gum, clapping hands and acting as one of the boyz doesn't get a man as far as it used to get him...
It’s really the rule not the exception. Great teams struggle to stay on top. Except 1.
Think of all the burgeoning dynasties. Only 1 stayed on top..

They drafted really well for a little while, especially on defense. Wonder what happened.

They drafted really well for a little while, especially on defense. Wonder what happened.
It was said that Pete, coming out of coaching a number of years in the college ranks at Southern Cal, had good insight into the best college players coming up in the draft. That knowledge lasted a couple of years. Since then, he has had to rely on his scouts like everyone else.

I've noticed a slowdown in his clapping rate the past few seasons.

It’s really the rule not the exception. Great teams struggle to stay on top. Except 1.
Think of all the burgeoning dynasties. Only 1 stayed on top..

And even that 1 had a stretch of 10 years between SB wins (though they went to 2 which we won't talk about). People mock the NFL's system of parity because there are teams that continually suck at the bottom and can't get out of their own way, but it does what it's intended to do: Keep one team from completely dominating forever once they have a good team. Every year you have success makes it a little bit harder to do it the next year.

It was said that Pete, coming out of coaching a number of years in the college ranks at Southern Cal, had good insight into the best college players coming up in the draft. That knowledge lasted a couple of years. Since then, he has had to rely on his scouts like everyone else.

They also had a bit of a mini Brady situation, where they got Wilson in the 3rd round and Richard Sherman (who was at worst the 2nd best CB in the league for a stretch) in the 5th. Getting those kind of values at those positions in those rounds is a huge boon, but hard to do again on purpose.

That's what happens when you become a QB driven team in a QB driven league.

This has been coming for several years and the CAP has accelerated this. QB salaries to infinity can't last forever and nobody thinks they are in a bubble until it pops. Look at the Super Bowl ratings....things are most likely not improving.

Russell Wilson is smart and I bet he realizes the guys who reset first will be best off. Rodgers is thinking this and Brees reset his contract.

Frankly, my opinion is this is why BB went the Newton route. Several years ago, one of the posters on theganggreen.com pointed out that you will know when QB and "weapons" contracts are ready to break because these teams will all have small fast linebackers to cover TE's.....and Belichick will revert to I formation, power football.

The cap was raised because the NFL thought that the money would flow down. Trickle down economics I guess.

Instead what happened is Quarterback salaries got inflated where just to get a guy like Tannehill or Jimmy G you have to pay $27million. But salaries for everyone else never raised.

Now you have teams wondering if it's smart to give a guy like Goff or Jimmy all that money while neglecting other positions.

And you are seeing guys like russell wilson being upset at the drain of talent from seattle. But when your QB makes that much you have to cut in other areas.

It's still a team game, and we are finding that while QB is still the most important position. A top QB can't do it all on their own and still need depth and talent around them. Desaun watson might be a top 5 QB but his team has no talent and they went 4-12. Now his GM is part of that but maybe if he's paid $10million less that affords another receiver, a running back, an Olineman who can protect you.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back