PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: New Patriots QB Mac Jones Brings His Winning Work Ethic to New England

How do you know that Wolf is “ killing” the draft, especially when it was Ziegler who they elevated before it? I would love to know where you guys are getting this kind of inside information on who is saying what in their meetings?
2 words Ivan: pink stripes

Bill didn't necessarily draft Mac for this year. Mac's the future, but we've all seen what happens when you rely on your future too soon. Bill isn't willingly going to rush Jones onto the field unless it's overhwlemingly obvious he's ready.

If Cam can't keep his job we will see another veteran start if Bill isn't sold on Jones' current ability yet.

I very much doubt that it's in the plans right now for Mac Jones to start a single game this coming season. Fans don't like being told they'll have to wait but I think we'll be taking this very, vry slowly.
I would be shocked if Mac didn’t start at least 1 game this year. He was labeled as the most pro ready of the draftees. Secondly, neither you or I know squat about the situation. How do you personally know how or why Bill drafted Mac ? You don’t. It’s never up to the fans as far as what happens. What if Mac makes it very difficult on Bill and staff in training camp and the preseason games by playing lights out ? And Cam struggles mightily once more ? The players usually make the decisions for the coaching staff.

Me personally, I would like to see a situation like the Chiefs, Mahomes didn’t play until the last game of the year his rookie year. If something similar happens, it means Cam played great, Pats clinched a playoff spot, maybe even a buy, and they can afford to play Mac the last game of the year. But it all depends on everyone’s play in practice and in games. Even Bill said Cam is the starter until they show they can give the team a better chance to win.

Work ethic is obviously they key here. Scouting reports ive read have him as a mini goat - quick release, cerebral, pocket presense, did well in the big game. He’ll be learning under bb and jmd, as good a situation there is in the league. Question is how hard is he willing to work , doubt he or anyone would work as hard as tom but these are great to hear.

I don't believe that his work ethic will be a determining factor of any future success here as much as his physical limitations - lack of ideal height (an overlooked asset in Brady's overall greatness) and likely insufficient Foxboro-in-January arm strength - might be...

Last edited:
I don't believe that his work ethic will be a determining factor of any future success here as much as his physical limitations - lack of ideal height (an overlooked asset in Brady's overall greatness) and likely insufficient Foxboro-in-January arm strength - will be...
He’s the same height as Aaron Rodgers, less than two inches shorter than Brady.

I don't believe that his work ethic will be a determining factor of any future success here as much as his physical limitations - lack of ideal height (an overlooked asset in Brady's overall greatness) and likely insufficient Foxboro-in-January arm strength - will be...

Wasn’t brady’s Arm strength a bit borderline too when he came in? I could be wrong there, but I do remember hearing he put a ton of work in the weight room the first couple years.

2 words Ivan: pink stripes

I’m not being a **** about this, I seriously want to know where these guys get their deep inside information on the machinations of the Patriots personnel operations? They are making really specific claims about who is responsible for the good scouting and the bad scouting, and who is getting Belichick’s ear on the picks. How they arrive at these conclusions is far beyond my meager insider information and I feel like they should let the rest of us wet our beaks.

I would be shocked if Mac didn’t start at least 1 game this year. He was labeled as the most pro ready of the draftees. Secondly, neither you or I know squat about the situation. How do you personally know how or why Bill drafted Mac ? You don’t. It’s never up to the fans as far as what happens. What if Mac makes it very difficult on Bill and staff in training camp and the preseason games by playing lights out ? And Cam struggles mightily once more ? The players usually make the decisions for the coaching staff.

Me personally, I would like to see a situation like the Chiefs, Mahomes didn’t play until the last game of the year his rookie year. If something similar happens, it means Cam played great, Pats clinched a playoff spot, maybe even a buy, and they can afford to play Mac the last game of the year. But it all depends on everyone’s play in practice and in games. Even Bill said Cam is the starter until they show they can give the team a better chance to win.

You can’t compare him to Mahomes, Jones is way better, my sources say the Patriots were blown away by him in OTA’s.

I’m not being a **** about this, I seriously want to know where these guys get their deep inside information on the machinations of the Patriots personnel operations? They are making really specific claims about who is responsible for the good scouting and the bad scouting, and who is getting Belichick’s ear on the picks. How they arrive at these conclusions is far beyond my meager insider information and I feel like they should let the rest of us wet our beaks.
I'd like to know this, too. I'm very disappointed in my own sources who barely know what channel the Bruins are on.

Wasn’t brady’s Arm strength a bit borderline too when he came in? I could be wrong there, but I do remember hearing he put a ton of work in the weight room the first couple years.

Brady’s arm strength is still questionable, as is his work ethic.
I'd like to know this, too. I'm very disappointed in my own sources who barely know what channel the Bruins are on.
or when.

I would be shocked if Mac didn’t start at least 1 game this year. He was labeled as the most pro ready of the draftees. Secondly, neither you or I know squat about the situation. How do you personally know how or why Bill drafted Mac ?

Bill tips his hands with his actions. Not only did he re-sign Cam, he also signed Hoyer. That's a pretty clear indication that if everything goes as planned, Jones is the Right Honorable Clipboard Holder for this year, not the starting QB.

You don’t. It’s never up to the fans as far as what happens. What if Mac makes it very difficult on Bill and staff in training camp and the preseason games by playing lights out ? And Cam struggles mightily once more ? The players usually make the decisions for the coaching staff.
[/QUOTE]
What if something that hasn't happened yet happens? Well then I'd guess Bill would change his plans.

You're trying very hard to deny something that's not only very common, but is standard practice for most (well run) franchises that draft a high profile QB. Even the Chargers and the Name-Redacted TRIED to shield their rookies, and the Name-Redacted paid dearly for not being able to do so.
If they give him a glory start in week 18 that's not really gonna bother me very much, it also doesn't realy affect the spirit of my prediction.

There was never anything wrong with Brady's arm strength. People thought there was for the same reason they always did and they continue to do today. Because Brady's bread and butter is the 15 yard pass. He's not a home run passer, not because he's not strong enough to make the throws, but because he's smart enough to stick with high percentage plays

There was never anything wrong with Brady's arm strength. People thought there was for the same reason they always did and they continue to do today. Because Brady's bread and butter is the 15 yard pass. He's not a home run passer, not because he's not strong enough to make the throws, but because he's smart enough to stick with high percentage plays

And those are the most important passes. Anyone can throw deep lobs and there isn’t much difference between those guys on short passes.

I seem to remember one of the many knocks on Brady early on was his average arm strength.

I think Brady’s arm got much better after two years in the strength and conditioning program plus whatever else he was doing in the offseason.

but in my mind, the most important thing Brady did was improved his footwork. It kept getting better and better throughout most of his career. I think he must have been working on it nonstop for 15 years because it is near flawless!

you combine great footwork, pinpoint accuracy, impeccable decision making, decent arm strength, tremendous heart-desire-work ethic with the fastest eyes in all of pro sports and that is how you create the greatest qb to ever play this game!

Aint we lucky.

Another Bama QB brought his winning ways and work ethic to Miami and Florida won the Lombardi last season. Book the flights and hotel rooms now. Gee, I hope they dont run out of rental cars again. Limousine services aint cheap.

I seem to remember one of the many knocks on Brady early on was his average arm strength.
I agree that the impression existed. The impression existed because Brady didn't throw as deep as Bledsoe, as often as Bledsoe. Bledsoe had a cannon, which led to a lot of home run TDs (and no small number of turnovers). Brady on the other hand made high percentage throws designed to move the chains and keep possession of the ball. it's a different style of football that has little to do with arm strength.

The reason the impression exists is because there are QBs with below average arm strength (like Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith) who live and die on the short pass because that's all they've got. So if a guy's making a lot of short passes as a matter of strategy he gets lumped in with those guys by stupid people.

I agree that the impression existed. The impression existed because Brady didn't throw as deep as Bledsoe, as often as Bledsoe. Bledsoe had a cannon, which led to a lot of home run TDs (and no small number of turnovers). Brady on the other hand made high percentage throws designed to move the chains and keep possession of the ball. it's a different style of football that has little to do with arm strength.

The reason the impression exists is because there are QBs with below average arm strength (like Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith) who live and die on the short pass because that's all they've got. So if a guy's making a lot of short passes as a matter of strategy he gets lumped in with those guys by stupid people.

most of Jones’s college tape is him making intermediate to long throws. Can Jones thrive in a shorter passing game, with a superior set of tight ends?

most of Jones’s college tape is him making intermediate to long throws. Can Jones thrive in a shorter passing game, with a superior set of tight ends?
This isn't really true. He made lots of shorter passes and screens that were turned into long runs also. Jones' college tape shows him making all sorts of passes, and missing very few. His passes also tended to have good touch and were easily catchable, while usually not leaving his wide receivers exposed to big hits. Hopefully that transitions to the NFL well.

Nobody wants Mac to succeed more then me.....ok maybe Bob Kraft. But really it's some kind of fantasy that people are indulging in...the frackin dude hasn't even had a scrimmage with the entire team. I pray to god he kicks but but he doesn't even have a number yet for fracks sake.

He needs to get knocked on his ass...a lot. Get back up and knocked down again.

I don't believe that his work ethic will be a determining factor of any future success here as much as his physical limitations - lack of ideal height (an overlooked asset in Brady's overall greatness) and likely insufficient Foxboro-in-January arm strength - might be...
I'm also a bit concerned about guy born and raised in the deep South making the transition to a New England winter. Brady was from California, but he had four years of seasoning at Michigan. However, I'll be an optimist and hope that he follows the path of Bart Starr, a 'Bama alum who managed to do pretty well in an even colder clime.

You can’t compare him to Mahomes, Jones is way better, my sources say the Patriots were blown away by him in OTA’s.
I was comparing the situations, not the players. Situations could be similar because both QBs were taken in the top 20, and both QBs came in with lame duck QBs ahead of them. IF Cam has a great season, I’d be thrilled, it means the Pats would be playoff bound. It also means Cam will get his money in 2022 (from another team) if he has a GREAT 2021.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back