PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: New England Patriots 2021: Bounce Back Season or More of the Same?

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
New England Patriots 2021: Bounce Back Season or More of the Same?
Chris Smith
The 2020 season will live long in the memory for many fans of the New England Patriots, sadly for all the wrong reasons. Suffering a losing season isn’t something that Pats fans are used to contemplating, but nonetheless it’s what awaited them after a run of poor displays and unfortunate events.

The post New England Patriots 2021: Bounce Back Season or More of the Same? appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I hate to say it, but I’m thinking more of the same. It’s not without hope - there are a lot of pieces in place on D - but Cam will be the same, and Mac won’t be ready yet. Still, the run game could salvage it, but our WRs are WAY below average. I think we need a year for Mac and we need to add two NFL starter-quality WRs before we’re back in the hunt…

I think there is a distinct possibility for a solid bounce back year. Defense, Special teams, O-line, RBs, and TEs are all very solid. We have possession WR's and only need a game manager for 3/4 of the schedule. We could start fast and Buffalo might stumble out of the blocks due to quirks in the schedule, setting up a late season battle for the Div. It's going to be a much better season. Its no SB season for sure, but better than the last 2 I think.

Unless Mac Jones becomes 2001 Brady, then I fear an 8-9 season...The second-half schedule is a killer.

I hate to say it, but I’m thinking more of the same. It’s not without hope - there are a lot of pieces in place on D - but Cam will be the same, and Mac won’t be ready yet. Still, the run game could salvage it, but our WRs are WAY below average. I think we need a year for Mac and we need to add two NFL starter-quality WRs before we’re back in the hunt…
You mean no randy moss. The WR group will be good to great. Meyers will be a 1000 yard receiver, Aghalor will continue to be a deep ball threat, Bourne will be a good possession guy. Then you've got a solid tight end group, and running backs that can catch the ball. Good luck trying to game plan for this offense. If Cam can take even a few steps forward in his throwing and grasp of the offense or Mac is 70% of the player he was in his last year of college, we are in for a good year

Run D and QB are the X factors. If we see both have poor play, then we’ll see a record similar to last year.
Agree vehemently. All of the talk about offensive weapons outside the numbers is a smokescreen for the actual issues of being able to get opposing offenses off the field (or at least into more 3d and 7+ vs 3d and 1 or 3d and 2) and delivering the ball to the adequate weapons they do have (especially the TEs and RBs).

The defense against the run game especially will be the most critical bellwether as to the success or failure of the Patriots 2021 campaign because it turns the entire defense into the focal point of the team with its already strong back end. That significantly lowers pressure on said QB (whomever it ends up being).

It's not a Super Bowl contending team regardless; however a first round playoff team? If that run defense is fixed...that scenario is much more likely.

Agree vehemently. All of the talk about offensive weapons outside the numbers is a smokescreen for the actual issues of being able to get opposing offenses off the field (or at least into more 3d and 7+ vs 3d and 1 or 3d and 2) and delivering the ball to the adequate weapons they do have (especially the TEs and RBs).
TBF, there's been more than one season where I was more worried about their ability to get off the field in the former case than the latter.

QB play, execution and health will determine everything... all the other elements (talent) to be great are in place.

If the additions to the defensive front 7 preform up to expectations it will do a whole lot of good for this team. Down the stretch our defense couldn't get off the field.

On offense I don't think we turn into a powerhouse overnight however, if the 2 tightends play well/stay healthy + our run game continues to grow/develop (Harris/Michel/Taylor/Stevenson/White is as solid of a rbbc as you're gonna see in the league) ..we should be able to grind out a few more wins vs. last year.

The wildcard is the qb position...that's what will ultimately dictate where we end up this season.

I actually think there will be some improvement. Pats were 7-9 last year.

The defense should be a lot better with Judon, Van Noy and Hightower on the team. The DTs added might help our run defense be better. Expecting 2nd year jumps for Uche and Dugger.

On offense, they added 4 more receiving options, good players. Not great, but good players. The run game is excellent, and adding Trent Brown to the OL is going to be a major help.

I think they will go 9-8 or 10-7. Quite possibly a wild card team. Small steps heading towards being a really good team once again.

If we finish 2 in the East and make the playoffs I say... good squad, trending upwards. Need Duggar and Uche to show something... I’ll be ok. Great depth at RB.

Hoping White can show something, can’t wait to see Stevenson too. Running game should be *chefs kiss *

I saw many encouraging things in 2020. I liked the effort of that team. I hated the clock mismanagement and terrible offensive play calls (that means YOU Josh).

Typically there is some sort of adversity any team goes through any given season. Don't expect any different this year. Great coach but there is limited experience this century with the Belichick administration LEARNING FROM and CORRECTING fundamental, suicidal errors in strategy or sometimes personnel. Tom Brady is not here any more to cover up for those mistakes. Dante and Ernie are gone.

So we move on to the future. Our prospects are great IF the coaches are smart and not stupid.

Yes QB is crucial. Newton ran VERY well last year...but crucial decision making in crucial times and being dropped back to pass repeatedly in should/MUST-run situations along with a noodle arm was ugly.

So. Be smart. Run the f*cking ball. Whoever the quarterback is, set him up to succeed and close out games. Whoever is on defense, communicate and back each other up.

13-3. 2nd seed at least. NO ONE in the AFC scares me at all. The NFC is a different matter; but as always if we have OUR approach, game plan and strategy together we will give ourselves our best shot. I don't care who the d*mn quarterback is in Tampa Bay or anywhere else.

As always, it's Super Bowl or bust.

13 wins is probably pushing it, but 11 wins and a wild card berth are well within this team's reach.

The overall improvement of this roster is being undersold, and the difficulty of the schedule is being oversold. Are we really terrified of Indy, Dallas, New Orleans? Last year's roster, perhaps the worst of the Belichick era, was 3 plays away from a 10 - 6 team. This year's defense and special teams alone will be good enough to get the team to 9 - 8 even if the offense performs like it did in 2020.

13 wins is probably pushing it, but 11 wins and a wild card berth are well within this team's reach.

The overall improvement of this roster is being undersold, and the difficulty of the schedule is being oversold. Are we really terrified of Indy, Dallas, New Orleans? Last year's roster, perhaps the worst of the Belichick era, was 3 plays away from a 10 - 6 team. This year's defense and special teams alone will be good enough to get the team to 9 - 8 even if the offense performs like it did in 2020.
Not NO, but I imagine dal depends on zekes situation? ... and colts game is in Indy, so iono. Maybe pat mcafee has me scared with his hyping then up.

At home vs New Orleans & Dallas should be wins...At Indy is a loss.

Yeah, I agree. I’d be surprised if we lost to Dallas or NO, but that game at Indy is going to be a rough one IMO. Wish it were early in the year before they got Eric Fisher in at LT…

The nfl is so fluid week to week. One injury to a mahones for example turns kc from a super bowl team to a team with a losing record!

We have got to let the games play out and execute plays at the highest possible level to win this year!

I still think the offensive line is the most critical piece of the puzzle for us this season. Our bananas (Wynn, brown and mason) have to stay relatively healthy for us to have any chance this season.

...I still think the offensive line is the most critical piece of the puzzle for us this season. Our bananas (Wynn, brown and mason) have to stay relatively healthy for us to have any chance this season.

I really like the signing of Gerald Hawkins as our OT3 if he's healthy...He & Karras will be our game-day actives...Let Cunningham, Martin & the draft picks Cajuste, Herron & Sherman duke it out for the final two spots (Prince, Redmond & Thanksdad don't even count)...

We have historically played well, and mostly won at Indy. Hoosier/RCA/whatever. They're a good team.

I think now is the time for the Patriots to decide for themselves, do we intend to be a great team. We've typically done this under Belichick.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back