PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Observations in Patriots’ loss to Eagles

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
MORSE: Observations in Patriots’ loss to Eagles
Mark Morse
There are no such things as moral victories in the NFL. However, you can feel good about the performance of your New England Patriots against Philadelphia yesterday.

The post MORSE: Observations in Patriots’ loss to Eagles appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I agree with everything. Except Mafi struggled esp early. But Calvin Anderson was wonderful. Until that late game holding penalty.

Does anyone have video on that? Was it legit?

If you compare Mac Jones first start of his third year to Tom Brady's first start of his third year (as a starter), Mac Jones kicked Tom Brady's ass. And although it may mean nothing, it's a fact.

It took our QB over Fiddy pass attempts to reach the 300 mark, less than 6 yards per attempt... And this was his best day as a pro?

"He missed Kendrick Bourne on another deep throw because he had too much arc on the ball and underthrew him. He was wide open for what should have been a TD. Do we need to question Jones arm strength or was it just throwing off his back foot?"

- I think most of us know the answer to that one...

“I definitely let the team down tonight. … We couldn’t score because of me.” - Mac Jones
“They gave me the ball twice to win the game, and I couldn’t do it.” – Mac Jones

- His words, not mine... But he's right. Too many unproductive possessions, especially within near-immediate proximity of FG range. Unacceptable.

"...the offensive Line played well. They were good against the pass and mediocre against the run..."

- They were surprisingly good pass-blocking but were Worse than mediocre run-blocking, bordering on Poor. I still feel that 4/5ths of this OL are playing out of position.

Agree about the over-officious jerks that comprise Scott Hochuli's crew. I expected nothing less from him & them.

"Where was JuJu Smith Schuster on the final play for the Patriots? He was on the sideline! Kayshon Boutte was in. Was this injury related or was he just ineffective?"

- There was no reason whatsoever to keep SS on the sidelines in favor of Booty during the final drive if SS was healthy enough to go... And who wouldn't take Hopkins, Meyers, Bourne & Douglas as our top 4 over what we have here now?

Last edited:
If you compare Mac Jones first start of his third year to Tom Brady's first start of his third year (as a starter), Mac Jones kicked Tom Brady's ass. And although it may mean nothing, it's a fact.
Brady was brutal for a surprising amount of 2003, was sort of an up and down year for him. Was just going through some things from the early part of that season and Brady had multiple interceptions in four of his starts that year, including the game you mentioned, and in two others:

1694571215291.png
1694570983515.png
1694570942692.png

Fortunately, we all know how the season finished but it's safe to say it was a little rough along the way :cool:

It took our QB over Fiddy pass attempts to reach the 300 mark, less than 6 yards per attempt... And this was his best day as a pro?
Actually not surprising given the PHI pressure and the lack of a running game. Lots of screens and short passes to make up for no running game.

I was pleased with the play diversity. Lots of new and different plays from last year, and they were executed quite well.

We didn't have the TEs running into each other. Things are looking up.

Lots of screens and short passes to make up for no running game.
Let me correct it for you: “…to make up for inexperienced new guys up front who are playing out of position at three spots.”

The OL should be Anderson-Sow-Mr Dependability-MAFI-Brown.

Got it, Klemm?

Last edited:
I still feel that 4/5ths of this OL are playing out of position.
Sounds as though I’m not alone.

It’s obvious Captain Stone is correct. But playing guys at the wrong spot on the OL goes back to last year’s boneheaded decision to swap tackles.

Wynn at RT? How’d that work out?

Same thing is happening with the rookies at the guard spots.

Sounds as though I’m not alone.

It’s obvious Captain Stone is correct. But playing guys at the wrong spot on the OL goes back to last year’s boneheaded decision to swap tackles.

Wynn at RT? How’d that work out?

Same thing is happening with the rookies at the guard spots.
I 'm not really sure if I agree with you but the points you brought up are interesting and worth of more discussion, imo.

On the surface I MIGHT agree with you. Brown has been fine at LT, but Anderson is the more athletic and historically you most athletic OT usually plays the left side. Also Brown is a dominant run blocker (or he has been in the past) and team seem to run more to the right than left. So those fact tend to promote your position. But Brown has often BEEN good at LT (....and sometimes not last year) and he was on Sunday. (except for one play) He also LIKES to play LT more than RT. \\

Anderson, when he has played, has done both. AND he did very well at RT, especially given he lack of practise and game time, it was remarkable.

Sow has been on the right side all summer. Was he LG in college?

Mafi the same thing. I know he had played LG in at least one of the preseason games. Personally I don't care which one plays where, but I understand why it was done the way it was done. AND I understand (assuming Sow was a LG in college and Mafi played the right side) why you would think the way you do.

I usual err on the side of the coach. He has MUCH more general knowledge. Much more knowledge of the scheme and playbook. And infinitely more knowledge of the players.

Brady was brutal for a surprising amount of 2003, was sort of an up and down year for him. Was just going through some things from the early part of that season and Brady had multiple interceptions in four of his starts that year, including the game you mentioned, and in two others:

View attachment 52756
View attachment 52754
View attachment 52752

Fortunately, we all know how the season finished but it's safe to say it was a little rough along the way :cool:
31-0 was not a fun watch. Seemed like the media was treating Milloy who just joined the Bills as some sacred player and how dare BB cut him. Sounded like it was cool in the media to be on anti-Bill anti-Brady and anti-Patriots bandwagon and the broadcast had guys like Sam Gash bash BB and the team. Accusing the Patriots of not caring about their players after the Milloy cut. Even Drew had some less than flattering things to say IIRC. Sounded like even the announcers were giggling when Brady threw the pick 6 to Sam Adams.

Was awesome literally returning the favor in the finale though!

Reactions: Ian
31-0 was not a fun watch. Seemed like the media was treating Milloy who just joined the Bills as some sacred player and how dare BB cut him. Sounded like it was cool in the media to be on anti-Bill anti-Brady and anti-Patriots bandwagon and the broadcast had guys like Sam Gash bash BB and the team. Accusing the Patriots of not caring about their players after the Milloy cut. Even Drew had some less than flattering things to say IIRC. Sounded like even the announcers were giggling when Brady threw the pick 6 to Sam Adams.

Was awesome literally returning the favor in the finale though!
Sort of funny. I dug this out last night as Russ is going back through that season, and it was interesting to read the comments being made that week on both sides, with Belichick getting snippy at one point when he was asked if he was in Drew's head:

That and it's hard to believe I've been doing this for over 20-years. I was like 27 back when I wrote that. Crazy.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back