PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Neutral-site championship game = permanent?

and just as Sir Francis Bacon was purported to be William Shakespeare so to was Mike Kensil revealed to be Mort the Snort "10 balls underinflated!!!" Mortenson...:whistle:
Poor ol' Mort, who looks for all the world at times as if he's living up to his nickname in French.

I was referring to the other Francis Bacon, though, the mid-20th c. British painter, whose works are in a league with Soutine and Bosch when it comes to weirdness.

His life was a profoundly sad one, by the way. Say now, here he is, posing with meat:

iu

And the resulting self-portrait:
iu

See what I mean? There are a couple of excellent documentaries on him.

They could have extended the season. They did it after 9-11.
Yeah, finish the game. Could've been injuries that might've effected the week 18 games and changed the seeding and wildcards. Although I'm rooting for the Bengals, I'd put an asterisk aside of all but the Jaguars names if the AFC wins the Super Bowl.

Imagine the uproar if the Patriots were involved in this?

I have no idea why they did not extend season.
Me either, but so far KC has enjoyed a week off to game plan, practice and get healthy. They have definitely benefitted from getting the number one seed that Buffalo lost the chance to get. They also get to play the lowest remaining seed

They played 16 games. KC has played 17. Chiefs had a higher winning percentage.

If the Bills win tomorrow, they play in Atlanta over Arrowhead. That is a huge advantage.

The Bengals got hosed out of all the teams. But if Cincinnati wins tomorrow, it's a moot point.
I would think non season ticket holders for the Chiefs would want a neutral site since the Chiefs have lost two AFC Championship games recently.

Dunno...I like the idea of playing an important game in a dome without the weather being a factor. If we do it for Superbowls....then why not all other playoff games?

The truth about homefield advantage is that your fans freeze to death in the stands more than the opposing team does on the sidelines (they run around, have heaters, big coats, and get to go inside at half time).
I’ve never been cold at these games. Ever. Dress for the weather. It would definitely hurt cold weather teams

They played 16 games. KC has played 17. Chiefs had a higher winning percentage.

If the Bills win tomorrow, they play in Atlanta over Arrowhead. That is a huge advantage.

The Bengals got hosed out of all the teams. But if Cincinnati wins tomorrow, it's a moot point.

The Bills beat the Chiefs during the regular season, and they ended up with the same number of losses as the Chiefs. I know many people like to ignore that reality, and to pretend that it didn't happen, but it did. The Bills got hosed out of a chance to have the #1 seed, which means they got hosed out of the bye week and hosed out of facing the lower-seed opponent this round.

And all the false claims about the Bills getting some advantage aren't going to change that reality.

#FireGoodell if this sees the light of day. As pointless and dumb an idea as there's been in years.
It doesn’t have much to do with Goodell. It’d be owners being greedy. He works for them.

It’s a crap idea. But this is the NFL, anything to make an extra buck. And they know that fans will watch regardless of what they do.

They keep making the game worse in the name of making more money, and that's going to bite them in the ass sooner than they think.
People have been saying this for 20 years and it hasn't happened yet.

If they move the CCG's to neutral sites all the fans will complain - and then 80,000 will show up on gameday.

Last edited:
Dunno...I like the idea of playing an important game in a dome without the weather being a factor. If we do it for Superbowls....then why not all other playoff games?

The truth about homefield advantage is that your fans freeze to death in the stands more than the opposing team does on the sidelines (they run around, have heaters, big coats, and get to go inside at half time).
its not just the on field stuff.

Its the travel, its sleeping in a janky hotel that might have its pipes freeze, it's you entire schedule being changed up.

The logisitics + the lack of comforts of home. Ref home cooking. etc etc etc.

Taking that away from the Top seed is ********.

The Bills beat the Chiefs during the regular season, and they ended up with the same number of losses as the Chiefs. I know many people like to ignore that reality, and to pretend that it didn't happen, but it did. The Bills got hosed out of a chance to have the #1 seed, which means they got hosed out of the bye week and hosed out of facing the lower-seed opponent this round.

And all the false claims about the Bills getting some advantage aren't going to change that reality.
They didn't get hosed though. They lost the #1 seed due to an injury. If Josh Allen gets concussed and his backup throws 5 ints no one cries that it was unfair.

And judging by how they were trailing the Bengals in the cancelled game, almost lost to the Fins last week, and did lose to the Bengals this week, it looks like they might have benefited by being handed the #2 seed, instead of being pushed to #3 if they had lost to the Bengals.

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Well, no neutral site AFCCG for this year....
I hate the idea of a permanent neutral site gamd but this year I’d be ok with it, because I really, really don’t want KC to win next week.

Absolutely not. No!!!

Enough is enough.

The playoffs have gotten way worse since they eliminated top two seeds getting byes. Now only one seed gets it.
Agree.
Leave it as is. No need to keep fixing what is working
Agree.
The thought of say a Seattle, KC, Philly, Buffalo, or Denver (All loud stadiums) not hosting the title game as a 1 seed is embarassing.
Agree.
Another thing, the Overtime rules were good the way they had it. Don't want to lose the game after losing the toss? Don't give up a TD.
If the game is tied at the end of regulation, play on until someone scores. No coin toss or kickoff. The team with the ball when the clock hits 0:00 continues their possession. This would completely fix the **** show known as overtime and eliminate luck from the equation.
There are several instances where the team losing the toss won in the postseason. I think of Bengals/KC last year. Rams/Saints a few years ago. Can go back to Giants/Favre led Packers. Or even Cards/Packers in 09.
Yes, but the format is still stupid.
I can't imagine the NFL PA agreeing to a format of neutral site games.
I can’t imagine them not agreeing to anything that generates more $

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back