PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Neutral-site championship game = permanent?

Absolutely not. No!!!

Enough is enough.

The playoffs have gotten way worse since they eliminated top two seeds getting byes. Now only one seed gets it.

Leave it as is. No need to keep fixing what is working

The thought of say a Seattle, KC, Philly, Buffalo, or Denver (All loud stadiums) not hosting the title game as a 1 seed is embarassing.

Another thing, the Overtime rules were good the way they had it. Don't want to lose the game after losing the toss? Don't give up a TD.

There are several instances where the team losing the toss won in the postseason. I think of Bengals/KC last year. Rams/Saints a few years ago. Can go back to Giants/Favre led Packers. Or even Cards/Packers in 09.

I can't imagine the NFL PA agreeing to a format of neutral site games.

Last edited:
The notion that they've been rewarded is simply not correct.
They played 16 games. KC has played 17. Chiefs had a higher winning percentage.

If the Bills win tomorrow, they play in Atlanta over Arrowhead. That is a huge advantage.

The Bengals got hosed out of all the teams. But if Cincinnati wins tomorrow, it's a moot point.

I see it the opposite. The Chiefs have lost two AFC championship games at home recently, to the Pats and Bengals last season, they should’ve lost the divisional home game to the Bills last season. Unfortunately I probably favor them more now.
Yeah we have a checkered history of home playoff losses. Some are before my time but:

95: Lin Elliott game-Loss to INDY

97: Denver loss

03: No punt game loss to Colts

10: Loss to Ravens

16: Give up only five fg's to Steelers. Yet somehow lose. Blessing was that this game motivated them to draft up for Mahomes.

17: Loss to Titans

18: Ugh

21: Blowing lead to Cin

KC at home in the postseason is no automatic win. With Mahomes, at least the losses have been to non garbage teams. Some of those other losses were brutal. Like Titans one.

You never shy away from a home playoff game though. I mean I wouldn't hate another AFC title game at home. But...Cincy matches up well with us. I would really need to think hard on whether I want Buffalo in Atlanta or Cincy at home. I think Bills are more vulnerable. Cincy isn't 100% reliant on the QB.

Obviously KC needs to beat the Jags first. Losing today would be disastrous.

NFL definition of 'special':

1. A team (not the Patriots) crybabying about nothing, for which the league applies an unfair competitive advantage.

1A. Made up/imagined infractions falsely accusing, convicting and punishing the Patriots, occasionally derived from an actual yet innocuous, trivial act, which otherwise would be ignored when committed by any other team, usually with crybabying by one or more teams as its impetus.
a9ae77d59fa4581e036a80eff8262ca3.jpg

If the Bills win tomorrow, they play in Atlanta over Arrowhead. That is a huge advantage.

The Bengals got hosed out of all the teams. But if Cincinnati wins tomorrow, it's a moot point.
KC was the biggest beneficiary of the NFL decision, it basically guaranteed them the #1 seed and a bye. Losing HFA "only" against BUF is hardly a disadvantage when the game is played in a neutral site. Not having to listen to the overweight annoying Chef fan chants is a benefit to all fans.

This.

I hate that the Atlanta game is in a dome when both opponents are outdoor teams.

Put the game in Pittsburgh or Chicago.
Hahaha, you sound scared.

Another thing, the Overtime rules were good the way they had it. Don't want to lose the game after losing the toss? Don't give up a TD.

There are several instances where the team losing the toss won in the postseason. I think of Bengals/KC last year. Rams/Saints a few years ago. Can go back to Giants/Favre led Packers. Or even Cards/Packers in 09.
Didn't you guys whine after Brady swept the floor w/ your team in the '18 AFCCG OT about how unfair the rules were?

Unimaginable circumstances left 2 teams deciding not to finish a game. No one will ever know who would have won the game if it was completed. As a result the Chiefs found themselves in the position to get home field advantage because they get one more game. The Bengals winning tomorrow has nothing to do with how the Chiefs got the number 1 seed. In fact if the Bills win tomorrow then it kind of shows they had a legitimate chance of winning the suspended game. That would mean that they would have been the number one seed. As the number 1 seed then if the Chiefs and Bills made the AFC championship the it would be in Buffalo. The Bills have been denied that opportunity. It can never be in Buffalo now unless the Chiefs lose in the divisional game. The Chiefs have a better chance in Atlanta than in Buffalo in that scenario.

Barfalo is something like 15-1 all time at Orchard Park in the playoffs.
So they probably should have asked to finish that game. That game could have been played in a neutral site.
It would have been traumatic to return to Cincy. The league would have lost that extra week before the SB. I guess that is more important than the integrity of the game.

If they end up playing KC on turf, bet the over.

Unimaginable circumstances left 2 teams deciding not to finish a game. No one will ever know who would have won the game if it was completed. As a result the Chiefs found themselves in the position to get home field advantage because they get one more game. The Bengals winning tomorrow has nothing to do with how the Chiefs got the number 1 seed. In fact if the Bills win tomorrow then it kind of shows they had a legitimate chance of winning the suspended game. That would mean that they would have been the number one seed. As the number 1 seed then if the Chiefs and Bills made the AFC championship the it would be in Buffalo. The Bills have been denied that opportunity. It can never be in Buffalo now unless the Chiefs lose in the divisional game. The Chiefs have a better chance in Atlanta than in Buffalo in that scenario.
Right.

But the Bills have a better chance of winning in Atlanta than in KC. It works both ways.

There was no one way to totally make this fair.

The Chiefs played 17 games. Buffalo played 16. Had HFA and first round bye been given to Buffalo, people would be screaming about a team with a worst winning percentage, and playing one less game they could have lost, hosting.

The Bengals winning makes it moot in the sense that the Chiefs played 17 games and had three losses. No matter what, the Bengals would have had at least four losses still. Obviously, it still doesn't make the process completely fair.

But..I think the league did the best they could. I would say the same thing if someone on the Chiefs had been hurt. Game cancelled. And Buffalo got the one seed.

Whoever makes it to the Super Bowl will have earned it.

All three of these teams are fully capable of beating one another.

Didn't you guys whine after Brady swept the floor w/ your team in the '18 AFCCG OT about how unfair the rules were?
I didn't whine. Other fans did.

Earlier that day the Rams picked off Brees and went to the Super Bowl. Saints won toss.

Last year Cincy picked off Mahomes and went to the Super Bowl. KC won toss.

If your D can't stop a guy from getting a TD, too damn bad. That was my feeling then.
It is now. We didn't lose that game because of a coin toss. We lost it by no showing the first half and making mental mistakes on D.

Barfalo is something like 15-1 all time at Orchard Park in the playoffs.
So they probably should have asked to finish that game. That game could have been played in a neutral site.
It would have been traumatic to return to Cincy. The league would have lost that extra week before the SB. I guess that is more important than the integrity of the game.

If they end up playing KC on turf, bet the over.

Hahaha, you sound scared.
Not scared at all.

I want to see two cold weather teams playing outdoors. Truth be told, I would rather play Buffalo than Cincinnati. Bengals can beat you multiple ways. Double Chase and two other very good receivers can burn you.

Buffalo seems dependent on Diggs getting open and Allen scrambling everywhere. Their D doesn't concern me like Bengals.

So dome or not, may best team win.

KC was the biggest beneficiary of the NFL decision, it basically guaranteed them the #1 seed and a bye. Losing HFA "only" against BUF is hardly a disadvantage when the game is played in a neutral site. Not having to listen to the overweight annoying Chef fan chants is a benefit to all fans.
Right but Buffalo didn't play all the games. KC did.

Chiefs will likely need to beat Jags, Cin/Buf, and then SF/Eagles to win the SB.

Some may say Jags are an easy out. Idk. They have a very good QB and coach.

We know about the AFC teams.

Eagles and Niners are both tough outs.

Barring some beneficiary Rams no call scenario, a SB win will have been earned.

Same goes for whoever else wins it all.

The only teams winning a SB who would surprise me are: Giants, Dallas, or Jags.

I'd rather have them eliminate divisions and just have conferences to avoid the mind f*ck playoff scenarios, losing teams making the playoffs and playing the same teams multiple times per year.
I like "mind f*ck scenarios." Take King Lear, for example, or "Fade into You" or Modern Times or Francis Bacon's "Three Studies for a Crucifixion." We're here for the entertainment, no? I mean, we are talking about guys who crash into one another for a living.

Right.

But the Bills have a better chance of winning in Atlanta than in KC. It works both ways.

There was no one way to totally make this fair.

The Chiefs played 17 games. Buffalo played 16. Had HFA and first round bye been given to Buffalo, people would be screaming about a team with a worst winning percentage, and playing one less game they could have lost, hosting.

The Bengals winning makes it moot in the sense that the Chiefs played 17 games and had three losses. No matter what, the Bengals would have had at least four losses still. Obviously, it still doesn't make the process completely fair.

But..I think the league did the best they could. I would say the same thing if someone on the Chiefs had been hurt. Game cancelled. And Buffalo got the one seed.

Whoever makes it to the Super Bowl will have earned it.

All three of these teams are fully capable of beating one another.
They could have extended the season. They did it after 9-11.

I like "mind f*ck scenarios." Take King Lear, for example, or "Fade into You" or Modern Times or Francis Bacon's "Three Studies for a Crucifixion." We're here for the entertainment, no? I mean, we are talking about guys who crash into one another for a living.
and just as Sir Francis Bacon was purported to be William Shakespeare so to was Mike Kensil revealed to be Mort the Snort "10 balls underinflated!!!" Mortenson...:whistle:

So ridiculous. Imagine paying for season tickets for year and your team makes it to the CG. Then you can't go because Krafty Bob's travel agency took most of the tickets for resale?!! They do it every Super Bowl. Why not for this game too.
Day of the NE vs Seattle Super Bowl, a woman from Seattle paid $25,000 each for 2 lower level midfield tickets for her and her son.

I heard rumors that people from Boston bought tickets for $3,000, booked flights and hotels, but when they got to Phoenix there were no tickets. Their tickets were sold to Seattle fans for $9,000. The ticket brokers paid the original Boston ticket owners their money back plus an inconvenience fee. Those were likely $1000 face value tickets. So, the ticket brokers stood to make $2000 per ticket selling to Boston. If they paid the Boston folks $4000 each to go away they raked in $7000 per ticket selling to Seattle.

Jackson and Brittney Mahomes are bound to do something newsworthy in Atlanta.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back