PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NBA Draft - Trades - Free Agents

Report that they've signed 6'11" French center Vincent Porier to a two year deal.
Can never have enough French ballers.
Cue the duck boats

The Celtics are not going to win the NBA title in 2020. They'll be a 44-47 win team. 6th or 7th seed in the East. I'd love to see them knock off the Nets in the first round.

The guards and the wings will be fine. Walker is a grown-up and a nice fit with Smart.

That said, Ainge and Stevens should be looking at how they use their minutes to develop some of these younger guys. They should try to get Grant Williams lots of quality minutes. He's a true PF who needs to up his game for the NBA. At the 5, Kanter is not the answer and is a knucklehead. He can give you minutes but is not the future. Robert Williams should get an opportunity to prove himself, even if the going is rough early on. Fall is the wild card. If they can develop him physically, he might be a contributor in the Spring of 2020.

The French Turkey connection??

The Celtics are not going to win the NBA title in 2020. They'll be a 44-47 win team. 6th or 7th seed in the East. I'd love to see them knock off the Nets in the first round.

The guards and the wings will be fine. Walker is a grown-up and a nice fit with Smart.

That said, Ainge and Stevens should be looking at how they use their minutes to develop some of these younger guys. They should try to get Grant Williams lots of quality minutes. He's a true PF who needs to up his game for the NBA. At the 5, Kanter is not the answer and is a knucklehead. He can give you minutes but is not the future. Robert Williams should get an opportunity to prove himself, even if the going is rough early on. Fall is the wild card. If they can develop him physically, he might be a contributor in the Spring of 2020.

They won 47 wins being utterly dysfunctional. I think they're definitely in the 50 or just over range.

sixers just offered simmons a max deal......they're locked into their starters for the next 4 years

they will have 4 guys adding up to 125-130M in salary

Last edited:
The Celtics are not going to win the NBA title in 2020. They'll be a 44-47 win team. 6th or 7th seed in the East.
Maybe so. But I think there's legitimate hope: perhaps, with the expectations of a year ago completely vanished, the Jays can under-the-radar excel; and with a roster that genuinely buys in, Stevens can go back to working his magic, instead of round-the-clock ego management.

I'd love to see them knock off the Nets in the first round.
From your lips to God's ears. :)

I don't know how you can say what this team can be by simply looking at roster in JULY and make a wild prediction and present it as a fait de comple'

I think this team can just as easily be 55 win team and be a top 4 seed in the playoffs.

Of course Stevens will have to do a better job this year at making the TEAM be greater than the sum of their individual parts (a la the Pats). IF he's the coach we all hope he was before this past season's fiasco, then that is a distinct possibility.

Walker is a more than adequate Kyrie replacement. and I expect the wings (Tatum, Hayood and Brown to be greatly improved. Clearly the rebounding will be better with Williams and Kantor, So I think there is enough offense to win a lot of game. But here. is where the success of failure of this team will ride. On defense

As the game moves more and more towards the perimeter. Having good PERIMETER defense will be a big advantage, to any team that possesses one.

I think the C's hav a chance to have a VERY good one. Tatum and Brown have shown they can be excellent outside defenders. Of course Smart is one of the most versatile and effective defenders in the league. And while Langford is "just a rookie", I think he can earn minutes not by scoring, but becoming a dependable perimeter defenders.

If you could clone Kantor's offensive skill with William's defensive instincts and athleticism, you'd have a top 5 Big. So how both players are used situationally will be critical and of great interest during the season.

BTW- the more I see clips of Kantor and how he moves around the basket, the more I think he ISN'T the ploddin unathletic Big is is often depicted as. In my mind he's a good enough athlete to become a capable defender and NOT the liability he seems to be now.

Good defense is always more about "want to" and coaching than simply talent. Again if Steven's is the coach we hope he is, then I believe Kantor's defense will noticeably
improve. IJMHO).

They won 47 wins being utterly dysfunctional. I think they're definitely in the 50 or just over range.

With the current front court?

With the current front court?

Yep. Porier is reportedly a far better defensive player than Kanter. They both can rebound well.

Comments:

a.) I am not confident that we will have good interior defense nor a big that can stretch. Horford did so many little things for us that you can't find on the stat sheet. His departure hurt more than Kyrie's.

b.) That being said, I would bet good money on 50+ wins and at least the #4 seed (assuming good health). We have the wings to play good perimeter D, we have enough scorers who can create shots, and decent depth/youth. A lot of this has to do with what Kawhi does...if he leaves the EC...I think Boston is the 3rd best team talent-wise behind Milwaukee/Philly. The Bucks lost Brogdon...and Philly still does not have any depth beyond the starting 5...Mike Scott is their best 6th man right now I think! Also, I feel that Philly will miss Butler/Reddick's scoring. They might actually need to count on Harris/Richards to shoot clutch time trifectas! Or even Horford who is probably better at it than Embiid/Simmons. Beyond Milwaukee/Philly....the Pacers could be good with Brodgdon/Oliapdo in and Bojandovic out....the Raptors are still a 45-50 win team without Leonard, IMO...but they would likely lose Danny Green too. The Nets would take a step forward with Kyrie. The Magic resigned Vucevic....the Pistons are trying out Derrick Rose....not expecting much from them. That's the entire 2019 playoff field for the EC.

c.) @Deus Irae: As for DeMarcus Cousins...I say sign me up. He looked terrible in the playoffs after a long lay off....and I am not so hot on him now...BUT if you had asked me 2-3 years ago...I'd be excited about it. At this point, he is one of the few remaining (if not the only one) bigs that can play on both ends.

Yep. Porier is reportedly a far better defensive player than Kanter. They both can rebound well.

You're a very optimistic Celtics fan. Right now, the 4-5 positions are dumpster fires.

Yes, on Yabu, but why down on Theis? He can play and did some good things for them.
So good he barely played down the stretch or playoffs.

Last edited:
Freaking Holley thinks the Nets are better than the Celtics w/out Durant.

Lol. What in the world is he smoking?
It’s not that much of a hot take. I think the C’s are better depending on Tatum/JB.

I’d say the Celtics are likely a 4 seed. I think you are selling them short.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back