PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Robinson is a better PG than Rondo

Once again, my point proven last night. Just like I said in the first post, the INTENSITY Nate Robinson brings to the game is un-matched.

Again, someone tell me what Rondo does better? Perhaps at passing the ball around but Nate has gotten much better in that regard.

Rondo can't even shoot free throws!

If it weren't for Rondo, we wouldn't have even gotten out of the first two rounds, let alone make the playoffs. He is, by far, our best all around player on the team. And that's not even a question anymore, and it's not even close. The gap between him and the next guy - and whether you want to call that Pierce, Allen or KG - is monstrous at this point. All three of the Big 3 are well past their prime and have huge flaws in their games - flaws that Rondo makes up for by maximizing their strengths, and getting them the ball in situations in which they can succeed. He still has confidence and consistency problems, and we are seeing it right now, but there is no doubt he is this team's MVP and that this team cannot win without his contributions.

He won us Game 2 with one of the best 4th quarter performances I can remember in recent memory, and I'm sure he'll win us another game this series. If he does, he may take home Finals MVP.

You're clearly a troll for the sake of being a troll. If energy was all a player needed, Scal wouldn't be relegated to the sideline in street clothes every night. Get out of here with this crap.

Last edited:
All you did is tell me Rondo makes some good passes to the other guys then called me a troll. Nice.

Once again, tell me everything Rondo does better than Nate Robinson, then tell me everything Nate Robinson does better than Rondo.

All you did is tell me Rondo makes some good passes to the other guys then called me a troll. Nice.

Once again, tell me everything Rondo does better than Nate Robinson, then tell me everything Nate Robinson does better than Rondo.

Gee, I don't know, maybe Rondo is a better ball-handler, defender, rebounder, passer, penetrator, teammate, leader, and generally just has much better offensive skills outside of jump-shooting.

Basically, Nate Robinson is a better jump-shooter, free-throw shooter and dunk-contest winner (and notice I didn't even say better dunker, b/c Rajon Rondo is a better FINISHER around the rim than Nate Robinson, in spite of Robinson's prowess in the dunk contest). Rondo is better at about every other basketball skill. I mean, honestly, are we having this conversation? If you said this to an NBA scout, not only would they laugh at you, they'd probably want you carted off to an insane asylum.

Last edited:
The only thing Robinson is better than Rondo at is the jump shot. That's about it. Rondo's a much more effective passer, as has been mentioned. In basketball that's extremely important (as we saw with Garnett and his confidence in Game 3). He's also much better at finding the open man than Robinson is. Rondo can also drive much better than Robinson can and will find the hoop better due to sheer size alone (Robinson usually has to pull up and take the shot in fear of getting packed). Rondo is a smarter player than Robinson is as well. When is the last time Rondo cost this team a technical foul because got up and started talking **** to the opposition? Finally, Rondo is generally smarter with the ball. When Robinson is in there, he will try to force jumpshots as the shot or game clock is winding down. Rondo won't do that. He'll initiate ball movement to get it to someone that can hit the shot (such as Pierce or Allen) instead of forcing up a prayer.

Robinson is a very good back-up. But he's not Rondo. Anything else, Pete? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Perhaps in the Guatemalan league ... where he may be able to post up on someone else for a change.

Seriously ... I like Nate ... but to be a starter he would have to have supporting pieces around him and he's not good enough to have a team built around him.

Nate would need 3 more inches and better court vision and defense to be a better point than Rondo. His main edge is his outside shooting ability. Other than that everything is stacked in Rondo's favor - better defense, height, speed, vision and passing ability, etc.

I like NR as an energizier/backup player, but he can't run an offense for 40 minutes like Rondo. NR is a key bench player but he's not the starter for a reason. Rondo runs the entire offense and can break down defenses like no other.

If you don't understand Rondo's impact on a game, go rewatch game 2 of Lakers v. Celtics and how Rondo completely dominated the 4th quarter of that game starting with his block of Fisher's 3 point attempt. Not to mention his ridiculous falling on the floor strip steal, leading to a basket.

Three things just for starters.

Defense.

Defense.

...and, oh yeah, Defense

and if you haven't noticed Defense is what Rivers requires of all his players, and it's been the difference maker in the playoffs

Robinson's improved his defense since the spring but Rondo is still a far better decision maker and floor leader, having a much better ability to direct the offense and see what's happening on the court

I'll join with others who will give Robinson credit for being a better pure shooter but that's about it

Last edited:
Once again, my point proven last night. Just like I said in the first post, the INTENSITY Nate Robinson brings to the game is un-matched.

Again, someone tell me what Rondo does better? Perhaps at passing the ball around but Nate has gotten much better in that regard.

Rondo can't even shoot free throws!

There are very few strictly offense players in the NBA.

To be a starter you need to be able to play defense against all the other guards in the NBA.

On a night to night basis Nate could hurt you as much as help you.

He's perfectly suited as the PG / change of pace player off the bench ... a great role for him in the NBA.

55 posts Pete and you still bring nothing ... I would post in this thread if I were you.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-thread-about-nothing-page72.html#post1837215

Last edited:
Nate Robinson is a better PG then Rondo..
When Allen was off the other night (0-13), he almost broke the record for misses. That record is held by Dennis Johnson. Larry Bird called DJ the smartest basketball player he ever played with, not to mention he was a great guard. Sometimes, DJ would have trouble shooting...............guess they wished they had Nate around to start over him.

You're a ****. There I said it.

Last edited:
Hey Pete just watch game 5 and you will have all your answers.....

At the end of game 4, I swear I could hear Johnny Most yelling "Rondo stole the ball!!!"
Tonight, I don't know what he would say. The play where he tapped that ball in over everyone was unbelievable. Not many guards can make that. When he is hitting his jump shot, there is no one better. But, I'll still take him any night because he does so many other things great.
Tuesday night, if he goes off on one of his triple doubles, he'll be the MVP.

Last edited:
At the end of game 4, I swear I could hear Johnny Most yelling "Rondo stole the ball!!!"
Tonight, I don't know what he would say. The play where he tapped that ball in over everyone was unbelievable. Not many guards can make that. When he is hitting his jump shot, there is no one better. But, I'll still take him any night because he does so many other things great.
Tuesday night, if he goes off on one of his triple doubles, he'll be the MVP.

Game 2 was "the steal" reminiscent of the Havilcheck steal, tonight the big play was the Pierce save on the sideline going right to Rondo.

Game 2 was "the steal" reminiscent of the Havilcheck steal, tonight the big play was the Pierce save on the sideline going right to Rondo.

Obviously a different play, but tonight's play reminded me of Bird stealing the inbounds and going to DJ -- Pierce and Bird both avoiding going out, Rondo and DJ both with great finishes.

(Hopefully a different series outcome, of course)

Obviously a different play, but tonight's play reminded me of Bird stealing the inbounds and going to DJ -- Pierce and Bird both avoiding going out, Rondo and DJ both with great finishes.

Steal...save...brought up the exact same image so we are on the same track there :D

Celtics won that series(Eastern Conference Finals), they went on to lose the finals to LA though.

Steal...save...brought up the exact same image so we are on the same track there :D

Celtics won that series(Eastern Conference Finals), they went on to lose the finals to LA though.

Yeah, I should have been more clear -- would be ok with the win in 7 like against Detroit that year (though I'd prefer to see the Celts put together 1 game firing on all cylinders for game 6 and close it put with a blowout like in '08 -- would be much better for my nerves)

Yeah, I should have been more clear -- would be ok with the win in 7 like against Detroit that year (though I'd prefer to see the Celts put together 1 game firing on all cylinders for game 6 and close it put with a blowout like in '08 -- would be much better for my nerves)[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree....We will be able to tell in the first 6 min of the game if the officials want it to go 7 though....I am really hoping that we play so well that even stern and his goons can't make this go 7 but we will see....

I hadn't thought about that Bird/DJ steal/basket, good one.
I too hope for a blow-out by the Celtics in game 6. I don't sleep well after games as it is. Right now, I peddle a stationary bike during games which helps.
This is just F'n unbelievable!

Rondo is better but I hope we do resign nate for the next couple seasons as he gives us a great scorer off the bench and his energy is crazy.....Plus he is buying into the defensive system (Who'd a thought that???)

+1

Rondo is a top 3 PG in the NBA right now, he does it all from scoring to passing to rebounding and on top of all that he still made the all NBA Defense Team.

However it would be nice to see the C's resign Nate, he is a hell of a player when he plays within the offense and is a huge spark off the bench, watched alot of him in NY and he is definatly buying into the Team and Doc, playing his role as well as it can be played.

+1 Very good comparision.

Like you said diffrent situation, but did have some similarities. Pierce made a hell of a pass falling out of bounds to Rondo, who made a great catch himself and laid it up to seal the win, great all around play.

Hell of a pass by Garnett to Pierce as well, noticed that the shorter Fisher was covering Paul so he threw it up knowing that Paul would win the jump ball, smart play on KGs part as well.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back