Asking for your support

Name your preference for OC

• Bill O'Brien

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Kliff Kingsbury

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Ray Lewis, since he might kill another guy (Fat Matt?)

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Multiple mentions of Marrone as OL coach (plus another tweet) is pretty suspicious for a guy who may not even be available. Sounds like Reiss might know something.
Marrone would be available for an OC/Oline coach position . Saints couldn’t stop him. Then, you could give O’Brien an Assistant HC - Offense title.

Interesting, Ivan, but that might be the exact reason to keep this "tired old system". Bill has often and SUCCESSFULLY ran opposite of what wa "trendy" in the NFL. When 95% of the NFL was running 4 man fronts, Bill went with his more flexible 3 man front AND succeeded. When the league decided that 3 man fronts where the current trend, Bill went back to a 4 man front and thrived. Its ALWAYS like this, what is old becomes trendy and back and forth. The RPO isn't new at all. It's just a ripoff of the VERY old single wing offenses of nearly 100 years ago

If there is ANYTHING I don't worry about is Bill being inflexible about making changes to his offense. THIS offense has its ROOTS in the Erhardt-Perkins scheme, but it has long since evolved into areas that have changed over the years, depending on the OC and the talent that was there over the years.

But as I have said earlier in this thread, it's the LANGUAGE that is the biggest and most long lasting gift the Perkins systems has left us. (and off course that has evolved over the years as well.)

Fair points Ken I just believe that defenses have become too fast and athletic to use a pocket passing system. QB’s have to be able to move and both get away from the pass rush and exploit lanes opened up by it. I don’t expect everyone to agree but I believe it’s time to retire Erhardt-Perkins and move to a RPO type of offense. All of the creativity and explosiveness we are seeing in todays high powered offenses are from variations of RPO offenses, and I think that it’s the future for offenses, and the direction I’m hoping they go in. You still need to be great in all phases of the game, but I think the days of the strictly pocket passing offenses is basically over.

The Patriots have the basis for a really good defense, and their run game is strong. They need help on the OL, and they have good ST talent, but a terrible ST coach. I would look to move on from Mac Jones and find a young QB who is athletic enough to run a RPO offense. Move Patricia to Ernie Adam’s position. Move Judge to ST’s, fire Achord, and hire Reich as OC. But that’s just me, I doubt most of this will happen, I just hope it will,

Fair points Ken I just believe that defenses have become too fast and athletic to use a pocket passing system. QB’s have to be able to move and both get away from the pass rush and exploit lanes opened up by it. I don’t expect everyone to agree but I believe it’s time to retire Erhardt-Perkins and move to a RPO type of offense. All of the creativity and explosiveness we are seeing in todays high powered offenses are from variations of RPO offenses, and I think that it’s the future for offenses, and the direction I’m hoping they go in. You still need to be great in all phases of the game, but I think the days of the strictly pocket passing offenses is basically over.

The Patriots have the basis for a really good defense, and their run game is strong. They need help on the OL, and they have good ST talent, but a terrible ST coach. I would look to move on from Mac Jones and find a young QB who is athletic enough to run a RPO offense. Move Patricia to Ernie Adam’s position. Move Judge to ST’s, fire Achord, and hire Reich as OC. But that’s just me, I doubt most of this will happen, I just hope it will,
Sign Jimmy G, trade for Trey Lance

The Erhardt/Perkins offense could potentially be updated for today's NFL. There really are no new offensive systems. Just revisions of existing systems that have been around for decades. The en vogue offense today is just a modified West Coast Offense. There is a lot that can be moderized about the Patriots' offense to make it more adaptable to today's NFL.

I mean the strength of the original Ehhardt/Perkins system is how simple and adaptable it is. I mean in 2007, the Pats were all about 4 and 5 receiver sets and by 2010-2011, they were in two TE sets. And it built on the same concepts of the WCO. So it can be modernized for today's NFL.

So I am for going back to the offense since it best fits the personnel the Pats have (and not just Mac Jones). What they need is an OC who can revise it to be more in line to attack the speed on the top defenses in the league.

wasn't he the guy Flores dumped because none of the wide receivers could understand his coaching?

I am not sure why he was fired, but he only lasted one year in Miami.

I think the Patriots didn't want him to leave here, but they couldn't block him because the Dolphins made him the OC and McDaniels was still here. I think Belichick was really upset with both him and Flores because of it. There may be more to it, but from what I can remember, he burnt his bridges here when he left.

I am not sure why he was fired, but he only lasted one year in Miami.

I think the Patriots didn't want him to leave here, but they couldn't block him because the Dolphins made him the OC and McDaniels was still here. I think Belichick was really upset with both him and Flores because of it. There may be more to it, but from what I can remember, he burnt his bridges here when he left.

not sure what happened in Miami... but that was the article i had read about it

Honestly - I want an OC who says "Offense" without the implied question mark. That's all.

BoB, why?

- Ran a great 2TE offense with Gronk/Hernandez when he was last here. He should be able to utilize Henry/Smith by +50%, IMO.

- Worked with BB before. And also worked with Saban.

- Was a decent HC himself...just look at how bad Houston has been since he left.

- Can work in high profile environments like Penn State post-Paterno. Boston media should be easy in comparison...not like he would even talk to the media anyway.

- Briefly crossed paths with Mac Jones. And he doesn't take **** from anyone...not even Tommy.
Agree 10,000,000%. I think Mac and BOB would mesh perfectly, Mac says he likes to be coached hard, everyone knows BOB is a SOB, and I mean that in a good way.

I’ll add a little more. 3 of the 4 highest scoring Pat’s offenses ever were under BOB. #4 was the year he left, so offense was pretty much still his. The 2 TE offense was virtually unstoppable (only injuries) under BOB, he could come up with schemes to better use Henry/Smith. I just think it makes too much sense. Please make it happen Kraft.

It remains to be seen if BoB wants to work with Bill again. Bedard said maybe not.

Not sure any top candidate will choose Pats and Bill

Last edited:
Yeah, but Jones taught O'Brien the Bama offense. So they do have a relationship.
Agree, we know Mac is more than capable he displayed that as a rookie. Under a real offensive structure. So along with some hopeful upgrades on the the outside, and the O line, I expect to see the real Mac Jones! Billy O, was at Alabama with him of course and he put Mac in positions to be the best QB he can be!
That has no relevance to either my response or the original post that I quoted. I was correcting the, often repeated, incorrect notion that BOB and Mac were at Alabama at the same time

BOB is the obvious choice, but I still feel Chad O'Shea will be the new OC.
I second this. He won’t have the ego. How many ex head coaches can be on one team? Two is enough.

Not sure if he has been mentioned in here, but watching NBC just now, what about Jason Garrett?

That has no relevance to either my response or the original post that I quoted. I was correcting the, often repeated, incorrect notion that BOB and Mac were at Alabama at the same time

Was I trying to correct you? I am just pointing out O’Brien and Jones have a relationship.

I second this. He won’t have the ego. How many ex head coaches can be on one team? Two is enough.

It won't matter if Patricia is in the booth or front office and Judge is in the cafeteria peeling potatoes.

It appears that Kingsbury is heading off to Thailand semi-permanently so not a good bet. However, Zach Kittley is sort of his mini-Me.
6’7” Zach Kittley was joined at the hip with our own Bailey Zappe for several years at Houston Baptist, now Houston Christian. Then they together left for Western Kentucky where NCAA records were set for TDs and passing yardage, 62 and nearly 6,000 respectively. Just gaudy.

You think you’ve seen Corky throw a temper tantrum you ain’t seen nothing if Zappe beats him out with Kittley as OC.

Kittley spent last season as Texas Tech’s OC and QB coach. He’s a fast riser.

Was I trying to correct you? I am just pointing out O’Brien and Jones have a relationship.
That's completely overstated as well. Mac was preparing for the draft at the time. BOB said many people helped him learn Alabama's system including Mac. Do we honestly think someone preparing to be a high pick in the NFL Draft is going to spend significant time helping BOB learn a system? I'm sure Mac helped him for a couple of days, but let's not pretend like there's some "relationship" there. That's naive.

BoB has all the leverage. Simply put, the patriots need him more than he needs the patriots. After the press release last week, the pressure is on the patriots to make a big name hire.
I am not sure that Bill will be thrilled with giving so much autonomy and coaching hiring leeway to BoB.
If it does not work out, they will have to go to a second tier selection.

I actually think an interesting move would be to hire Mike Lefleur (recently dismissed from Jets), who comes from the Shanahan tree,
Would be a good way to stick it to Jets and despite his being fired he is highly thought of around the league, young and probbaly hungry for another opportunity.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back