PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Priorities By WED

Don't forget, securing someone like Cajuste in March basically ensures you retain the guy you know vs the potential unknowns who could emerge. People tend to undervalue known role players, not realizing how important it is to keep them in the fold until you at least have an unknown who has proven they can get the job done. The worst part about last year is that as bad as it was, things actually could have been worse and it's guys like this who kept it from potentially reaching that point.
I’m usually onboard with role players. They are crucial to success. But is Cajuste a role player ? He can’t get on the field and when he does, is he any better than a rando you found in the Spring and that - by December - should know a thing or two.

This team has very few building blocks atm. So I am much less invested in individuals. I’m fine blowing it all up. Mac / Judon / M Jones / J Jones / Slater…. I mean, these guys have contributed. But are they difference makers ? Like, for SB contention ?

Reactions: Ian
If they dont address this offseason aggressively to add at least some top talent - i wont be disappointed - ill be BAFFLED : )
I would agree. If we don't see them at least make one surprise quality signing, I think it would be tough to come out of free agency not feeling a little concerned. But they need to also stay where they are to at least not take a step backward, and a lot of those second-tier guys do end up becoming valuable, especially weathering losses to key guys midseason. But I do agree, we do need to see them hopefully make a significant signing given how much money they have this offseason. Although, I'm hoping some of that is used on retaining some key guys as well.

I’m usually onboard with role players. They are crucial to success. But is Cajuste a role player ? He can’t get on the field and when he does, is he any better than a rando you found in the Spring and that - by December - should know a thing or two.

This team has very few building blocks atm. So I am much less invested in individuals. I’m fine blowing it all up. Mac / Judon / M Jones / J Jones / Slater…. I mean, these guys have contributed. But are they difference makers ? Like, for SB contention ?
True, but he's not expensive and you still need him. And he wasn't great, but I would say he was good enough and that's what you need when your starters go down.

To your last question, the biggest problem is that last year clouded the entire picture and we came out of it not knowing much of anything. I think you'll find out this year where they're at and if staying with Mac or moving on will be the way they'll need to go. But Jonathan Jones is underrated (you can win with him if you let him play to his strengths) and one of their fastest defenders. Mills being hurt late in the year made it tough on the safeties and that caused a lot of problems down the stretch.

The problem with Jones is you can't let him walk without replacing him with someone who is as consistent as he's been. That's the biggest issue. I mean, people forget he was a big key in their Super Bowl win in 2018. He led the team in tackles in that game (8), and even had a sack. Belichick loves the guy because he's so good at so many things, he's got terrific speed and he's just a solid player.

I would agree. If we don't see them at least make one surprise quality signing, I think it would be tough to come out of free agency not feeling a little concerned. But they need to also stay where they are to at least not take a step backward, and a lot of those second-tier guys do end up becoming valuable, especially weathering losses to key guys midseason. But I do agree, we do need to see them hopefully make a significant signing given how much money they have this offseason. Although, I'm hoping some of that is used on retaining some key guys as well.

There are NO key home guys to retain this FA. There are some nice guys, good players but NO KEY if we (and they) want to be HONEST.
Its this kind of dishonesty in evaluation of home talent (not to mention coaching) that brought them in this place.
I hope Bill can shake off the senility one last time and be as brutal as before about every aspect of the team.

BOB was a good start (hopefully) . but he needs a lot of help to be successful here..

Every day is real team building. Next two FAs is the most cap space and cap advantage BB ever had in NE and will ever have.
If you dont have key top level pieces - you can round up all “second tier“ echelon you like and it will get you nowhere.

In recent years Pats lost Tom, Gronk, Jules, decent OL, Hightower, Gilmore, DMC - so the WHOLE backbone.
As you can see they had top tier player at virtually every position of the BACKBONE.
Over the last years they were not able to REPLACE a single one of them.

They have a TON of cap space over the next 3 years (on account of having rookie QB and not borrowing from the future in past years)
#8 in 2023, #4 in 2024, #1 in 2025
They also have one of best Draft capitals they ever had recently.

And you suggest they should skip the start of FA and aim for “second tier”?

If they dont address this offseason aggressively to add at least some top talent - i wont be disappointed - ill be BAFFLED : )
I dont mean ALL IN at all . QB situation does not call for that . but at least to spend to the cap and give themselves a chance to compete & evaluate properly..

-.-
There are a lot of deep holes on this team. The (edit, forgot about onwenu as mgteich points out) right tackle. The wrs. The secondary, most specifically free safety, just to name a few. So we hit FA on day 1, get that one guy... Then what,? Not forgetting the 8 m needed for the draft class, use our remaining 4 or 5 mill in cap space on who? The left over scrubinis? There are times to be bold, and other times its better to move in a more prudent manner.

Last edited:
There are NO key home guys to retain. There are some nice guys, good players but NO KEY if we (and they) want to be HONEST.
Its this kind of dishonesty in evaluation of home talent (not to mention coaching) that brought them in this place.
I hope Bill can shake off the senility one last time and be as brutal as before about every aspect of the team.
You might be in for some disappointment, then. If you're saying everyone they have is terrible and they all need to go, that's a bridge too far and I can't take that journey with you - other than to sit back with you and wait to see how it plays out. :(

Last edited:
BOB was a good start (hopefully) . but he needs a lot of help to be successful here..
Fingers crossed - I do think they'll make a couple of notable moves. Hopefully, there will be a little more reason for optimism in a couple of weeks, so we'll have to see how it goes.

There are a lot of deep holes on this team. The entire right side of the online. The wrs. The secondary, most specifically free safety, just to name a few. So we hit FA on day 1, get that one guy... Then what,? Not forgetting the 8 m needed for the draft class, use our remaining 4 or 5 mill in cap space on who? The left over scrubinis? There are times to be bold, and other times its better to move in a more prudent manner.

This is not how cap game works. It works over several years. It works under TOP 51 rule. etc etc

What part of - they have a TON OF CAP - TOP 5 IN THE LEAGUE over next 3 years - dont you understand?

This is not how cap game works. It works over several years. It works under TOP 51 rule. etc etc

What part of - they have a TON OF CAP - TOP 5 IN THE LEAGUE over next 3 years - dont you understand?
They do, but part of that is going to hinge on what happens with Mac, etc. If he plays well enough that he gets his option picked up, the landscape will change a bit when he hits that fifth year and it'll probably skew those totals.

You might be in for some disappointment, then.

Dont worry Ian, i promise i wont be disappointed, cross my heart - just BAFFLED

If you're saying everyone they have is terrible and they all need to go, that's a bridge too far and I can't take that journey with you - other than to sit back with you and wait to see how it plays out. :(

Where have i ever in the whole history of my posts here said that ?

Dont worry Ian, i promise i wont be disappointed, cross my heart - just BAFFLED
LOL, you and I are in agreement there ;)
Where have i ever in the whole history of my posts here said that ?
I mean, you did say, "There are NO key home guys to retain. There are some nice guys, good players but NO KEY if we (and they) want to be HONEST." - so that essentially tells me you don't believe anyone is worth keeping. I posted about Jonathan Jones - that one is definitely an example of a guy who is more important than people realize.

They do, but part of that is going to hinge on what happens with Mac, etc. If he plays well enough that he gets his option picked up, the landscape will change a bit when he hits that fifth year and it'll probably skew those totals.

We're talking about 2025 right? Lets say QB 5y option rises to 25M. Pats still remain top 5.

I’d be fine blowing up the whole thing. There is no one I’m extremely passionate about.

That said, I did like Peppers this year. I think he was an under-the-radar contributor who seemed to come on the last third of the season.

Cajuste ? I couldn’t care less. UDFA would produce just as much, maybe stay on the field more.
For fun I thought through this. “Blow it up” by cutting most players who net you a good cap savings and either weren’t critical or overly impressive in 2022 or are nearing the end of their careers.

Cut Jonnu Smith (post 6/1 designation): $4M
Cut Hunter Henry: $10M
Cut Trent Brown: $8M
Cut Jalen Mills: $5M
Cut Devante Parker: $6M
Cut Kendrick Bourne: $5M
Cut Lawrence Guy: $3M
Cut Nick Folk: $2M
Cut Ty Montgomery: $2M

You gain $45M additional in cap space. Obviously you now REALLY need tackles, WRs and DBs but you needed those anyway, and you also have no TEs… but you’d certainly have the cash to sign a lot of players.

LOL, you and I are in agreement there ;)

I mean, you did say, "There are NO key home guys to retain. There are some nice guys, good players but NO KEY if we (and they) want to be HONEST." - so that essentially tells me you don't believe anyone is worth keeping. I posted about Jonathan Jones - that one is definitely an example of a guy who is more important than people realize.

On the contrary i believe quite a few home guys are WORTH retaining - at the right price - which is not top tier.
Id love to bring Jon back - one of my favs - but this would not be a key move or a key player.
He is quality player/person with lots of versatility and experience - but he is not a shutdown corner by any means - and not KEY signing:
there are 2 new Joneses who are both better than him at single positions (Marcus as slot, Jack as outside)

We're talking about 2025 right? Lets say QB 5y option rises to 25M. Pats still remain top 5.
I’ve seen people saying the QB fifth year option will be over $30M in 2025 in relation to Mac Jones but I don’t really see how that’s possible if it’s only about $23M for Tua in 2024.

There are a lot of deep holes on this team. The entire right side of the online. The wrs. The secondary, most specifically free safety, just to name a few. So we hit FA on day 1, get that one guy... Then what,? Not forgetting the 8 m needed for the draft class, use our remaining 4 or 5 mill in cap space on who? The left over scrubinis? There are times to be bold, and other times its better to move in a more prudent manner.
I stopped reading when you posted that Onwenu was the major problem (along with our RT).

For fun I thought through this. “Blow it up” by cutting most players who net you a good cap savings and either weren’t critical or overly impressive in 2022 or are nearing the end of their careers.

You gain $45M additional in cap space. Obviously you now REALLY need tackles, WRs and DBs but you needed those anyway, and you also have no TEs… but you’d certainly have the cash to sign a lot of players.

Id say guys like Henry and Brown have some trade value so you'll be closing on 60M : )

True, but he's not expensive and you still need him. And he wasn't great, but I would say he was good enough and that's what you need when your starters go down.

To your last question, the biggest problem is that last year clouded the entire picture and we came out of it not knowing much of anything. I think you'll find out this year where they're at and if staying with Mac or moving on will be the way they'll need to go. But Jonathan Jones is underrated (you can win with him if you let him play to his strengths) and one of their fastest defenders. Mills being hurt late in the year made it tough on the safeties and that caused a lot of problems down the stretch.

The problem with Jones is you can't let him walk without replacing him with someone who is as consistent as he's been. That's the biggest issue. I mean, people forget he was a big key in their Super Bowl win in 2018. He led the team in tackles in that game (8), and even had a sack. Belichick loves the guy because he's so good at so many things, he's got terrific speed and he's just a solid player.
I really like JJones. Been a fan for years and I agree that he was instrumental in 2018. Developed into a good starter last season.

I agree you can win with JJones. But is he a difference maker ? Is he going to lead a team to a SB ?

Most of those guys can be cogs in the machine. But none are ‘winning you games’. They are pieces. And so, I’m somewhat ‘meh’ if they are on the team next fall.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back