PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My mind was changed today…

So, are you in favor of trading the top pick we gets for more picks?
No, but we have to take everything into consideration. Obviously there will be offers for our pick so we’ll have to consider each carefully.

All can use their legs and put pressure on the Defense a far cry from what we have. Yeah I want a QB.
terrell owens images GIF
What Bailey Jones can't put pressure on defenses? LOL

So, are you in favor of trading the top pick we gets for more picks?
Me personally I don't think Groh is going to trade the pick. We need to take a QB. Take the best available .

Me personally I don't think Groh is going to trade the pick. We need to take a QB. Take the best available .
Let's say they have the 2nd or 3rd pick, and Maye is on the board.
You'll be right if:
- they don't get a very good offer to trade down within the top 10
- they don't think they can get an equivalent QB at that lower point
You'll be wrong if:
- they get a blockbuster offer to trade down to say #8 (at least a 2nd this year, a 1st next year, and something additional)
- they think that the delta between Maye and a Daniels (or other QB) is not that great
- they calculate that one of their other QB targets will be available at 8

Let's say they have the 2nd or 3rd pick, and Maye is on the board.
You'll be right if:
- they don't get a very good offer to trade down within the top 10
- they don't think they can get an equivalent QB at that lower point
You'll be wrong if:
- they get a blockbuster offer to trade down to say #8 (at least a 2nd this year, a 1st next year, and something additional)
- they think that the delta between Maye and a Daniels (or other QB) is not that great
- they calculate that one of their other QB targets will be available at 8
Good points! I'm certain between now and next April there projects to be alot, alot change. I'd expect this roster to.be drastically different next season offensively. I see people saying it could be 5 years rebuild. I don't subscribe to that. Generally get the right QB and organizations can get back into Contention sooner. There is also the possibility say that Chicago trades Fields would you be in on it? For say a 2nd?

They didn't trade Thuney. He left in free agency.
One of the best lineman in the league. Franchised him in 2020 only to let him walk in FA.. whenever u see me critical of Bill it not that he isn't great at what he does. It's the decisions sometimes that are just mind boggling with players.

One of the best lineman in the league. Franchised him in 2020 only to let him walk in FA.. whenever u see me critical of Bill it not that he isn't great at what he does. It's the decisions sometimes that are just mind boggling with players.
I don’t think it’s ever preposterous to let an extremely highly paid player walk when there’s a minimum salary replacement ready to go. They just badly missed on projecting Onwenu to LG. It certainly seemed reasonable enough to expect him to play well there, but in reality it went worse than anybody could have expected.

I still don’t understand how he somehow plays tackle well with no college experience and as the shortest and highest BMI tackle in the NFL yet couldn’t just switch sides at his natural guard position, but here we are. That’s just the way it is, I guess.

I don’t think it’s ever preposterous to let an extremely highly paid player walk when there’s a minimum salary replacement ready to go. They just badly missed on projecting Onwenu to LG. It certainly seemed reasonable enough to expect him to play well there, but in reality it went worse than anybody could have expected.

I still don’t understand how he somehow plays tackle well with no college experience and as the shortest and highest BMI tackle in the NFL yet couldn’t just switch sides at his natural guard position, but here we are. That’s just the way it is, I guess.
Agreed, I know part of a GMs job is to manage the salary cap and manage contracts . But he got 80 million and went into a great situation a NFL players dream. To have generational wealth, to win that's a dream scenario few players get to enjoy. We had plenty of under paid great players over the years. However as Bill says he does what's best for the team. Generally when a Coach or GM is underperforming they get the ax. Yeah the O line such a vital part to an offense. Takes cohesion and discipline.

And yet now Bill may let onwenu and Duggar walk for nothing unless he offers them the highest money.

Why even get to that point?

And yet now Bill may let onwenu and Duggar walk for nothing unless he offers them the highest money.

I really don't think he will be here to make those decisions any longer. Unless RK and JK have a change of heart suddenly. I believe owenu may get the tag. Dugger is fantastic, but due to having no free safety he's played out of position this season.

Well **** thanks for the correction. Thought it was a tag and trade but I digress....

Drew Lock my draft binkie killing the Eagles is a beautiful thing.

Couldn’t disagree more. Just because they use their top pick on a QB that doesn’t mean they can’t sit them for a season while they upgrade their OL. They can still sacrifice a veteran until that happens. This is their best shot at getting the best QB on their draft board. If they don’t take it then I’m done watching them until they have their answer at QB. I’m not going to keep watching this garbage if they don’t give enough of a **** to address the most important position on the team.
The new QB should be playing behind a first round draftee, Strange, Andrews, Sow, and Onwenu.

I don't see a veteran being sacrificed behind that OL.

Barring a miracle, we’re not contending in 2024. We have massive holes to fill all over the offense that’s likely going to take at least 2 seasons to get it right.

Not to mention that we need to hire a GM and HC…or at least we should. They’re not going to be in a prime position to fix everything in year 1 of an organizational/team rebuild.
A miracle?

We have a top 3 pick in the first and the second and $100M. We can defer more into the future than we have been doing if we think that we have a QB.

We need a starting LT, probably a first or early 2nd rounder, a veteran QB, a top draftee at QB and a WR. It will not take a miracle to be a contender for playoff play.
=================
Yes, we need to be somewhat lucky in our choice of QB's. However, if we are, $100M should be enough to re-sign or replace our free agenst, and add a WR.

$15 million a year, and Barmore ate his lunch on Sunday.

we should go QB, WR, OL in the draft. You can find elite receivers later.

keep in mind that N'keal harry was a late 1st rounder and the first WR taken in 2019 and ended up being the worst. That way you can nurture your rookie the right way. with a top WR, a stronger OL. be nice to also get a 3rd down back as an outlet.

now, if we screw up and win our way out of a top 2-3 pick. then just go get Harrison JR and try again next year for a QB

Because players become FAs per the collective bargaining agreement.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back