PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My mind was changed today…

THIS is exactly what I want to happen. Get the highest pick possible, Trade that for a HAUL to move back a few spots and select Jayden Daniels. That would be a dream start to the draft for me.

No thanks. If you see the QB you want you take him, period. You don’t trade back and risk another team grabbing him.

If they're reasonably sure the QB they want can be had at 10 then trade back but it is risky. If it's me even if I think there's a 75% chance I can get the guy I want at 10 I still take him at 3. The position is too important to gamble with and if there's a guy you love you need to get him. If we take the QB at 10 or we take him at 3 he needs to be the one that the next coach wants and not just the guy who happened to be available there like Mac.
You trade down to 10 if you think that there is a good chance to get one of the 2 or 3 players that you want.

If the odds are only 75% on getting the ONE that you want, then pick him at 3.

This is a QB league.
The QB controls the game.
if you have a top three pick and need a QB you take the QB.

Look. You can get lucky. Pick 199. I know.
You can win the lottery. But you can’t build a team with a strategy of winning the lottery.

Offensive linemen can be brought in as free agents, don’t use a top 3 pick on a Tackle, it must be a QB or Harrison.

Offensive linemen can be brought in as free agents, don’t use a top 3 pick on a Tackle, it must be a QB or Harrison.

Sure, the team can bring in free agent OT's. That's no problem at all. I guess the success this year was great: Anderson, Reiff, McDermott, Love and Wheatley.
=============
We WILL draft an OT in the first 35 picks; count on it.

The patriots won't draft Harrison, but you knew that.

I like Daniels. I prefer Alt. RK needs increased interest in this team. Positive fan interest. The desired subtraction of BB won't get it. Adding Mayo won't get it. Caleb Williams or MHjr will get it. Look for the splash that states resoundingly, "BB is Gone!" Everyone will be happy- happy for a moment.

Off the top of my head, we gave Brown and Judon a raise. We gave Bentley, Tavai, Peppers, Brown, and Parker extensions. Uche has been very open about working on an extension with BB.

Why do you say none is clearly not working? Who is "none" and what is not "working"?
Yep, I was wro... wro... wrong.

This is a QB league.
The QB controls the game.
if you have a top three pick and need a QB you take the QB.

Look. You can get lucky. Pick 199. I know.
You can win the lottery. But you can’t build a team with a strategy of winning the lottery.
That's an extreme example but a great one. We can only guess how many players over the years were picked behind players who didn't pan out, but there are plenty in the HOF and hundreds or maybe thousands of examples overall. It's a crap shoot.

100%

Just needing and wanting a QB doesn’t make one magically appear.

I think a lot of teams get “QB beer goggles” and see what they want to see instead of what the reality is.

Take the generational player who IS there, if you are not honestly sold on the QB.

Take the QB who you are hoping is the guy, and he fails to measure up, then you are in the same position next year, minus the generational player.
They are going to have a top 5 pick, probably top 3, and there are at least 3 top QB prospects. Take the QB. Or you can take the receiver, and waste him running routes all day with no QB who can get a ball to him.

They are going to have a top 5 pick, probably top 3, and there are at least 3 top QB prospects. Take the QB. Or you can take the receiver, and waste him running routes all day with no QB who can get a ball to him.
How often have the top 3 QBs all panned out, or even the top 2?

History says that taking a QB with a top pick, doesn’t mean you will get one.

You are just as likely to get fools gold.

That also doesn't mean you should draft scared.

I hear what you’re saying but let’s say we do everything right in the off season and get things moving in the right direction; that doesn’t suddenly mean that all the close games we’re losing this season automatically become victories next season. It doesn’t work that way.

Realistically, we’re not gonna go from a 2 or 3 win team to a 10 win playoff team in one offseason. Everything would have to go PERFECTLY right for that scenario to play out.

Pie in the sky/wishful thinking is fun for us fans to do, but you can’t twist that with reality.

We can improve for sure, but we have to have patience. This rebuild is gonna take a couple years provided we get a new GM making decisions…..and possibly a new HC.
Still disagree.

I lived through the 2001 season. Belichick was 5-13 when Bledsoe got knocked out. And we finished that season 14-3 and opened the next season 3-0 before things fell apart with our run D. Similarly in 2019 we were a miserable 8-0 before finishing 2-7 and seeing Brady walk.

The point is that things change very fast in the NFL. You do realize that this team with Patricia/Zappe SHUT OUT the Lions in the fall of 2022? That was only 14 months ago....now the Lions just annihilated the Broncos last week....

If we pick two, this guy should be available:

“Maye's arm talent is the core of his game. He can throw a 100 mph fastball into a tight window over the middle or outside the numbers. Maye can also throttle down and put throws where only his receiver can go get it, as well as creating smooth yards-after-the-catch transitions for his receivers on underneath routes.”

Sounds good to me.

I'm in ... if true. Anyone think this report is BS?

Still disagree.

I lived through the 2001 season. Belichick was 5-13 when Bledsoe got knocked out. And we finished that season 14-3 and opened the next season 3-0 before things fell apart with our run D. Similarly in 2019 we were a miserable 8-0 before finishing 2-7 and seeing Brady walk.

The point is that things change very fast in the NFL. You do realize that this team with Patricia/Zappe SHUT OUT the Lions in the fall of 2022? That was only 14 months ago....now the Lions just annihilated the Broncos last week....
We can agree to disagree

I hope you are right…the sooner we can become contenders again the better.

All Pats fans want the same thing…that they get this ship turned around and moving forward.

QB’s picked high in the first round are the best way to get a high caliber QB. Some will fail, but the further down you go in the draft the less likely the QB is to be successful. And what is really foolish is passing on the QB with your top 5 pick, and d pecking to fix the problem later in the draft, or in free agency.

QB’s picked high in the first round are the best way to get a high caliber QB. Some will fail, but the further down you go in the draft the less likely the QB is to be successful. And what is really foolish is passing on the QB with your top 5 pick, and d pecking to fix the problem later in the draft, or in free agency.
It also will depend on how the Pats have these 3 QBs rated…whether they are franchise QBs or not.

There are so many scenarios that can play out for the Pats in this upcoming draft…it will definitely be “must see “ TV for us Pats nerds :excited::rofl:

Can't wait for 2024 season 1, Black Monday through April draft. It may be disappointing, it may be encouraging, but it will be fun. Many of us will be disappointed, many will be elated. Let's go!!!

I keep hearing this but then would you draft a QB that has nobody to throw to? If you get MHJ, you can find a QB, even if its a free agent veteran, or maybe make some trades with picks and get one with the second pick. Both positions are hard to find so I would take the best player of either position at the pick.

There are no good OT's hitting the market next off-season.
Yep…it’s rare to pick up a good OT in FA. Teams normally don’t let those guys walk unless you want to trade and give up a draft ransom.

Trent Brown the first time around for us was an exception.

If you’re not totally convinced one these 3 QBs is “the guy” or you don’t want to trade down, why not pick a premium LT? Presumably there are two of them rated as a top 5 prospect (depending on who you listen to).

Obviously we need to address the QB situation but don’t draft a QB just for the sake of drafting one. All you have to do is look at the last 5-10 years of QBs drafted top 3…not too many stud, franchise QBs there.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back