PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My First Season Ever Q's and tips

TheSolderKing

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
League is 12 team, 3 division league. Starting Roster: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR (flex), 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Defense/Special Team unit. See League Details for more... this was a face book coment sent to me and our Draft is on 27th.

I have no idea what this format means "League is 12 team, 3 division league. Starting Roster: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR (flex), 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Defense/Special Team unit".

I know my players and teams. If I am on the clock what is best value QB or RB. I figure for fantasy- Vick #1 Rodgers #2 Brees 3 Brady 4. That is Fantasy rankings in my book.

What is the key to the game. TE's should not be taken 1st b/c I think there r soooo many quality TE's in the NFL.

I would like to hear your input in how to approach this. When do you grab a kicker like Sebastian Janokowski and how valuable r they.

RB's vs. WR's vs. TE's break it down for me :cool:

thnx

A RB/WR flex is like Woody right?

Last edited:
Wait until the last two rounds before taking a kicker or defense.

you'll want to take a look at the league's scoring. Typically the top RBs in the league will go in the first 6 picks. Then a couple of top WRs and QBs come into play.

then you've got the PPR (points per reception) thing. If your league is PPR yopu'll want to factor that into your decision making. For example if you are in a PPR league and you're torn between RB1 and RB2 and they are similar to each other, you'd probably want to go for the one who can catch the ball and garner a few extra points. But not all leagues are PPR

The first TEs taken in leagues I've been in is usually in the 4th round and these are top TEs such as Gates, Clarks etc. You can usually find some good ones in the later rounds. Typically in mocks that I have done, I've been snagging Gronk around round 12

RB/WR flex is a position on your starting lineup that can be filled by either a RB or WR

Go to ESPN's mock draft and get a feel for how things play out. ESPN MOCK DRAFT LOBBY

if you don't draft patriots at every position you should be banned from this messageboard.

if you don't draft patriots at every position you should be banned from this messageboard.

i will get GRONK when do I grab him 2nd or 3rd? i KNOW TE'S ARE DEEP BUT he will have HUGE year imo (caps) I want him:cool:

If you're drafting at the end of a round you want to get familiar with the needs of those who pick in between your next 2 picks. For example: say the 2 teams picking after you have already taken a QB, you can wait til the next round if you feel the available QBs aren't very good. Also try to have all the teams schedules handy so you don't end up with too many players with the same bye week. There's a great excel spreadsheet on this website: MG's Helmets

Last edited:
is this thread a joke?

At first I thought it was, what with the green smiley face next to the thread title.

Now I'm not so sure.

If you are serious Solder, buy one of the many fantasy football magazines that are available at every supermarket, convenient store and book store; there are plenty of basic tips, strategies, and do's and don'ts. There are hundreds, if not thousands of sites that will offer you suggestions, rankings by position, and overall rankings. It might be helpful if you joined a mock draft just to see how it went, what positions you needed to draft earlier (or later) on, and how your roster looked once you were done with the rest of the mock draft league's rosters.

I'm not exactly sure how you could one hand have decided what your fantasy football rankings are, and on the other hand not understand what '12 teams, 3 divisions' is, or ask when you should draft a kicker or a tight end.

If you don't understand how the game is played, then how could you come up with a ranking of players?

P.S.: Flex means that for that spot on your starting lineup you are not locked into one specific position (like the way you are for kicker, for example.) In this case you can start either a RB or a WR in that spot. It has nothing to do with a player being able to lineup in the NFL at either of those two positions.

Yes, TEs should not be taken in the first round. No, it has nothing whatsoever to do with how many quality tight ends there are in the NFL.

Last edited:
You won't be a pro your first time (my first time I won the season, lost the playoffs... sigh) but you will get much better as you play more and more. I suggest a couple mock drafts to see how that goes and to give you an idea of the value of certain positions. Then read that article I posted earlier to learn a little strategy about drafting and the mathmatical value of each position, then go through rosters and schedules and see who you think will be above, below, or on par with their respective rankings (at yahoo, espn, etc..) then find a league, check out the scoring and positions you'll need to fill so you can adjust your drafting accordingly, and then finally, you will be ready to go in to your first FF draft like a pro (and then lose in the playoffs when your starters are benched, ya, keep that in mind! :p) Good luck sir!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back