PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My attempt at being un biased notes from the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiZa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I took some notes/opinions from the game. Let me know what you think:

Why do we have a screen play to Gronk in the playbook? Even better, why are we running it on 3rd and 11?

What was up with that screen play to Hernandez at the end of the 1st quarter where Brady was chasing after him waiting for him to turn around to throw him the ball? Pretty funny to watch in hindsight.

Want to know why we are better led then other teams? Quickly getting to the LOS and completing a 5 yard pass before the 2 minute warning. It's basically the equivalent of 5 extra yards going into the two minute drill.

Someone mentioned on Sirius NFL radio that Cutler looks drunk all the time. Can we say the same about Henne? He can't even wear a helmet correctly.

The announcers were really bad today. Especially Gruden. Forgot a bunch of names and was picking on Vollmer when it was Light and vice versa. Mccourty did not get due credit for a big tackle towards the end of the game. The list goes on...

Forget about the 2pt conversion. What happened to Edelman? He was supposed to be the next Welker.

Speaking of 2pt conversion. Did it seem to early to go for it? I always thought it was only good to do with 1 or 2 possessions left in the game when you know the points situation.

Can we call Woodhead, Rudy? I'm so happy he's step up and took a majority of Faulk's work and perform like he did. Hopefully this is a start to a long friendship with the Pats.

It looked like Brady keyed in on Moss on a few of his sacks/pressures

Don't forget Chung had a bad first half (ie Bess's TD catch), but came back huge. Great to see.

I hope the Pats can find a way to get motivated through the bye week

I haven't see Brady this fired up over a game in at least 3 years. Though maybe I just wasn't paying attention :D

I wanted Carpenter in the 2006 draft. Wow that would have been a mistake

Ninkovich's stats this year will rival Varbel's in his first year starting with the Pats. He has some hands on him too. Put him in as TE hear the goal-line. :rocker:

was Gronk hurt? I didn't see him again after that epic screen pass.

Was Spikes getting washed out tonight? People are saying poor tackling, but I seem to think that the change on the D line resulted in the Fins O line being able to get to the second level and wash out the LB. When the plays went anywhere near Vince's side, Mayo was there making form tackles. What we saw was D backs coming up and whiffing tackles on the Fins RB's. A function of poor D line play?

Was Spikes getting washed out tonight? People are saying poor tackling, but I seem to think that the change on the D line resulted in the Fins O line being able to get to the second level and wash out the LB. When the plays went anywhere near Vince's side, Mayo was there making form tackles. What we saw was D backs coming up and whiffing tackles on the Fins RB's. A function of poor D line play?

The analysts mentioned that the Dolphins where running away from Wilfork which may have funneled them into Mayo.

Speaking of 2pt conversion. Did it seem to early to go for it? I always thought it was only good to do with 1 or 2 possessions left in the game when you know the points situation.
Wouldn't the 2 pt conversion have put us up by 21 at the time? At that point, it was probably reasonable to think that the Dolphins were going to need to score 3 TDs to be able to win. The scenario where they could tie the game by getting 2 TDs and 2 FGs wasn't very likely.

What happened to Edelman?

Edelman looked supernaturally quick in the first preseason game then got injured (ankle, I think) and has't been the same since. I suspect he's not fully recovered.

Edelman looked supernaturally quick in the first preseason game then got injured (ankle, I think) and has't been the same since. I suspect he's not fully recovered.

I had a feeling that the 2 point conversion was going to be a direct snap to Edelman ala Faulk a few years back (Super Bowl?) and that's why he got antsy and got the illegal motion penalty...Just a hunch....

Can the Pats get motivated through the bye week?

Uh. Remember that little playoff arse-kicking they put on us?

Wouldn't the 2 pt conversion have put us up by 21 at the time? At that point, it was probably reasonable to think that the Dolphins were going to need to score 3 TDs to be able to win. The scenario where they could tie the game by getting 2 TDs and 2 FGs wasn't very likely.

This. I thought it was a pretty obvious call.

Another thing that bothers me is the following:

A team is up one point and scores a TD late, leaving enough time for one response drive from the losing team. The extra point puts you up eight, and it's still a one possession game. Go for two! You get it, you win! You miss it, you're still open to a tie, because the other team is damn sure not going for two for the win; they'll go for OT every time unless they're way out of the playoffs.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just wicked daring. :D

Last edited:

This is correct.

I took some notes/opinions from the game. Let me know what you think:

Why do we have a screen play to Gronk in the playbook? Even better, why are we running it on 3rd and 11?

I asked the same thing after they ran it.

What was up with that screen play to Hernandez at the end of the 1st quarter where Brady was chasing after him waiting for him to turn around to throw him the ball? Pretty funny to watch in hindsight.

Watching it I thought it was a play design to go deep to Moss, but with the Pressure bearing down on Brady he had to dump it off. Otherwise, I fail to see the point of designing a fake end-around to him and then throw to him right away.

It would have put them up by 3 TDs I think. Gotta figure at that point if they come back to the tune of 3 scores it will be close to the end of the game going for that last score. Good forward thinking IMO.

It looked like Brady keyed in on Moss on a few of his sacks/pressures

No way you are going to tell if he was "keyed" in on anyone watching on TV.

I hope the Pats can find a way to get motivated through the bye week

The playoff game will be replayed over and over. Wilfork won't be happy watching himself pushed to the ground on Rice's TD run on the first play of the game.

This. I thought it was a pretty obvious call.

Another thing that bothers me is the following:

A team is up one point and scores a TD late, leaving enough time for one response drive from the losing team. The extra point puts you up eight, and it's still a one possession game. Go for two! You get it, you win! You miss it, you're still open to a tie, because the other team is damn sure not going for two for the win; they'll go for OT every time unless they're way out of the playoffs.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just wicked daring. :D

No, you gotta make the other team score the conversion.

No, you gotta make the other team score the conversion.

Which teams do 50% of the time. Go up by nine and it's irrelevant. It's playing to seal the win vs. playing to hopefully get two stops and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes