PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Musings Regard The OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect that Scar might be OK with our backups Karras (C/OG), Croston (OG/OT) and Tobin (OT/OG). All have position flexibility are OK to be on the active roster as backups. Of course, competitors can be brought in to compete.

We have 4 strong starters in Thuney, Andrews, Mason and Cannon.

It seems right to re-sign Fleming or Waddle, draft an LT in the first 50 picks, AND draft an OT later.

Depends on whether they expect Garcia back to start the season, mid season (after being Pumped) or to start 2019. If he's healthy now and re-gaining weight then the PUP option could be on play and we may need less but get through the first half of the season with depth (replacing one of your OT draftees).

Depends on whether they expect Garcia back to start the season, mid season (after being Pumped) or to start 2019. If he's healthy now and re-gaining weight then the PUP option could be on play and we may need less but get through the first half of the season with depth (replacing one of your OT draftees).

I can't see us going into the season with less than Waddle/Fleming, Cannon, Tobin and a top draftee.

A second draftee is a simply a late round flyer as belichick seems to take every year.

I expect Garcia to be on the PUP or another list to start the season. If he is ready for the season, then we'll see who he can beat out for a roster spot.

As a side note, It is possible that Croston is seen as enough of a backup LT that we could go into the season with Cannon, Waddle/Fleming and a draftee. This has the obvious advantage of saving a roster spot.

Too bad that Ricky Jean-Francois has left the team. With his 30 Dunkin Donut franchises, he could have really helped Garcia's weight gain program.

Miller will probably be off the board before we pick in the draft. However Crosby should be there at 63.

Yeah, I am worried about the LT hole.

Some thoughts:

- This makes Dwayne Allen more valuable as he would be the only blocking TE we would have if Gronk had to miss a few games.
- This also puts more premium on RB's picking up blitzes. Thank god, White is good at that.
- This could mean we run the ball more in 2018 which I am fine with...
- Don't shoot me, BUT...Braden Albert is still out there...OK, now shoot me.

O’Neill, Parris, McGlinchey. I predict one of those 3 gets drafted.

Yeah, I am worried about the LT hole.

Some thoughts:

- This makes Dwayne Allen more valuable as he would be the only blocking TE we would have if Gronk had to miss a few games.
- This also puts more premium on RB's picking up blitzes. Thank god, White is good at that.
- This could mean we run the ball more in 2018 which I am fine with...
- Don't shoot me, BUT...Braden Albert is still out there...OK, now shoot me.

I do expect us to extend Allan.

As a side note, It is possible that Croston is seen as enough of a backup LT that we could go into the season with Cannon, Waddle/Fleming and a draftee. This has the obvious advantage of saving a roster spot.
This is my guess as to what will happen, especially with Garcia on the team.

Whether the Pats draft an OT high or not may be an open question.

On the one hand, this is reputed to be a relatively weak OT class, from what I've read.

OTOH, Scar often strikes gold in such "weak" classes, and the guy he likes best may still be available at #95.

I suspect that Scar might be OK with our backups Karras (C/OG), Croston (OG/OT) and Tobin (OT/OG). All have position flexibility are OK to be on the active roster as backups. Of course, competitors can be brought in to compete.

It seems right to re-sign Fleming or Waddle, draft an LT in the first 50 picks, AND draft an OT later.

I have to say that, although we don't always agree on every detail, every one of your posts is thoughtful and cognizant of the bigger picture and the longer term. It seems like there's never enough of that perspective and approach around these parts.

So, thanks!

I've never seen such a gaping roster hole on this team as LT right now. I'm not going to freak out until the draft is over, and it seems more bad luck than anything else. The free agent and draft classes both suck at tackle.

In my opinion, the only possible starters at LT are Fleming, Waddle, Cannon (creating a new hole at RT), or a Scarnecchia Sleeper you can plug and play like Thuney.

Maybe Andrew Jelks is finally staying healthy?

4 of the 5 are pretty much set and strong as you say. Personally I think they are going to move Cannon to LT otherwise I think they would have been more aggressive in signing one. There is still plenty of time so maybe I'm jumping the gun. Also I just think Cannon has really turned the page and is a great linemen the dude is a monster too.

I've been guilty of posting that Cannon isn't a LT. However, he's Scar's man. Scar has chosen him more than once. Maybe Scar is in the process of turning Cannon into a LT. Perhaps it's a year early, perhaps not.

I've never seen such a gaping roster hole on this team as LT right now. I'm not going to freak out until the draft is over, and it seems more bad luck than anything else. The free agent and draft classes both suck at tackle.

In my opinion, the only possible starters at LT are Fleming, Waddle, Cannon (creating a new hole at RT), or a Scarnecchia Sleeper you can plug and play like Thuney.
Maybe Andrew Jelks is finally staying healthy?

I'm seeing left tackle unfolding like corner did in 2015, after Revis, Browner and Arrington left. Bradley Fletcher was the only vet addition, the only draftee Daryl Roberts in round 7. Patsfans dot com was very worried/angry at the team. The Pats had more faith in Malcolm Butler and Logan Ryan than the board, and were correct.

We'll know more after the draft. They may end up trading up to get a tackle; my hunch is if they draft one, it's no earlier than round 4. As for Garcia's weight and health prognosis, the team knows a lot more than we do. Same with Andrew Jelks and his knees. They seem have a high opinion of Cole Croston. Cameron Fleming too; it remains to be seen if they like him more than other teams. One of Fleming or Waddle returning would help.

Garcia and Jelks have legit skills when/if healthy; Garcia's athletic ability and college tape impress. Not the first to mention that, in general, college offensive linemen are not well prepared for the NFL right now. That has to factor in the value of taking a tackle early.

Last edited:
Not sure....his cap number is bleh compared to his offensive production...

As a #3-type, blocking TE, his run-blocking is a significant part of his offensive production. The Pats ground game in 2017 wouldn't have been as effective without him.

Darren Fells, who's a decent blocking TE, and, career-wise, has been less of a receiver than Allen has been, just got $4M. TEs who've posted marginally better career receiving stats than Allen, but who couldn't block Betty White, have gotten more money than Allen (significantly more, in a couple of cases). So, Allen's $5M (which can be reduced a bit through restructure-extension) probably isn't really that far out of line in the current market.

Just put Scar at LT. He’s knows all the nuances, techniques, leverage tactics, snap counts, the offense etc. While he may not have the desired measurables, he will utilize his 50+ years of mental football acuity to outwit the best pass rushers in the world. Also, he may very well be the most versatile lineman in the league, due to his vast knowledge of each respective position AND the value is perfect because of his age. He won’t command a “Solder/T. Smith” type of contract. He’d be a leader on/off the field. Lastly, if he becomes a problem in the locker room, BB can just demote him back to the sidelines. I say it’s a win-win :D:D

This is why BB let Solder walk & has yet to resign Waddle/Fleming. Genius, this guy is. Had it mapped out the whoollllle time.

Problem solved!!!!!

19-0 here we come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore