PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerPatriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As I see it there are two distinct aspects to this season.

1-Playoff chase: Unfortunately, we can probably forget about the post season. Matt Cassel is a below average starter and people have been lulled into false sense of confidence because of a workmanlike performance against arguably the worst team in football. Given the current state of the Chiefs, it’s reasonable to assume/think/hypothesize that today was Cassel's high water mark.

Barring season-ending injuries to Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, David Garrard, Ben Roethlisburger and Phillip Rivers, any playoff or SB hopes are more or less pipe dreams. That's not to say it can't happen, but it's unrealistic to count on it.

2-Player development: This is a very important aspect to the season that I’m looking forward to watching. Mayo, Crable and Wheatley will find themselves on the field far more than they could have dreamed just 24 hours ago. I expect our D to log a lot of downs this year which will serve to advance their progress and make us better in 2009. These are exciting young players that have loads of potential.

The other benefit to this is we’re now looking at a possible sub .500 record and with that comes a high draft pick. We can now begin looking at the current crop of college linebackers, corners, safeties and offensive tackles in preparation for next season. Suddenly, there's a newfound reason to watch college football.

Bottom line: This is the doomsday scenario I’ve always feared because there are few if any ways to mask this weakness and there are no viable outside solutions. NBC reported the team will bring in Chris Simms for a workout Monday. The idea of bringing in Simms is laughable. He is a Nancy Boy, and as average-to-bad as Cassel is, I do get the sense that mentally he’ll give it his all. O’Connell may yet get a shot to start a few games this season which could also be interesting to watch.

So, despite Brady’s loss, there are still plenty of ways for fans to find some enjoyment in the season as long as you understand that it's going to be at times extremely frustrating, and at others very encouraging.

If the falling sky hits you in the head, but it's a glancing blow, does it sting, or throb?

Seriously, we have the best coach in football, a top 5 D, Randy Moss and Wes Welker and 3 great running backs. Even if our O-line is as bad as people have been crowing, we're still favorites (IMO) to win the AFC east, even if we have to resort to a game manager. And quite frankly, I'm not all that worry about Matty, sure, he isn't Mr. Right, but chances are he's Mr. Right Now unless Phil Simms Jr. can learn a playbook in 4 days. Let's go Matty [clap-clap-clapclapclap]!

1-Playoff chase: Unfortunately, we can probably forget about the post season. Matt Cassel is a below average starter and people have been lulled into false sense of confidence because of a workmanlike performance against arguably the worst team in football. Given the current state of the Chiefs, it’s reasonable to assume/think/hypothesize that today was Cassel's high water mark.

Barring season-ending injuries to Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, David Garrard, Ben Roethlisburger and Phillip Rivers, any playoff or SB hopes are more or less pipe dreams. That's not to say it can't happen, but it's unrealistic to count on it.

2-Player development: This is a very important aspect to the season that I’m looking forward to watching. Mayo, Crable and Wheatley will find themselves on the field far more than they could have dreamed just 24 hours ago. I expect our D to log a lot of downs this year which will serve to advance their progress and make us better in 2009. These are exciting young players that have loads of potential.

The other benefit to this is we’re now looking at a possible sub .500 record and with that comes a high draft pick. We can now begin looking at the current crop of college linebackers, corners, safeties and offensive tackles in preparation for next season. Suddenly, there's a newfound reason to watch college football.

Bottom line: This is the doomsday scenario I’ve always feared because there are few if any ways to mask this weakness and there are no viable outside solutions. NBC reported the team will bring in Chris Simms for a workout Monday. The idea of bringing in Simms is laughable. He is a Nancy Boy, and as average-to-bad as Cassel is, I do get the sense that mentally he’ll give it his all. O’Connell may yet get a shot to start a few games this season which could also be interesting to watch.

So, despite Brady’s loss, there are still plenty of ways for fans to find some enjoyment in the season as long as you understand that it's going to be at times extremely frustrating, and at others very encouraging.

It's pointless to debate Cassel's pluses and minuses. I'll let his tenure with the team speak for itself.

The only sky that's going to be falling is the sky, planets, solar system and universe that will be falling on 31 teams next fall. 19-0. Mark it down.

I hope Iam wrong but anybody who thinks a Cassel led football team is a strong playoff contender is just foolish. This is a QB driven league and we will be in a fight till the end of the season just to make the playoffs. Like I said I hope to god Iam wrong but in the end you dont replace a Tom Brady no matter how good your team is. IMO the Patriots will have a top ten to fifteen pick in next years draft, and no Iam not lookin ahead I still have some hope for an average to good season from the Pats. But we should in good position to draft Maualuga next draft.

Get well Brady

It's pointless to debate Cassel's pluses and minuses. I'll let his tenure with the team speak for itself.

The only sky that's going to be falling is the sky, planets, solar system and universe that will be falling on 31 teams next fall. 19-0. Mark it down.

So it is pointless to debate soneone's performance but it is ok for you to condemn it. Cassell came into the game and did his job. I for one am hopeful for next weeks game against the Jets.

This was the first game we got to see Cassel play that actually meant something. And since we don't have coach's tape we can't possibly have an in depth debate on the subject. What we do know though is that BB was confident in having Cassel the backup QB for 2 years now. Either he (BB) is an idiot, or Matt Cassel actually has some abilities that we haven't been able to see, since ya know we haven't seen 4 years worth of practice and camps from him like they have.

I hope Iam wrong but anybody who thinks a Cassel led football team is a strong playoff contender is just foolish. This is a QB driven league and we will be in a fight till the end of the season just to make the playoffs. Like I said I hope to god Iam wrong but in the end you dont replace a Tom Brady no matter how good your team is. IMO the Patriots will have a top ten to fifteen pick in next years draft, and no Iam not lookin ahead I still have some hope for an average to good season from the Pats. But we should in good position to draft Maualuga next draft.

Get well Brady

30 other teams don't have a Tom Brady (Peyton is the only comparable QB). Last year's superbowl winner didn't have anything close to a Tom Brady. Tom Brady in 2001 was not close to today's Tom Brady.

As if we needed more proof of your lack of knowledge on the game. I can almost guarantee we do not have a top 10 to 15 pick next year, unless it's via trade.

So it is pointless to debate soneone's performance but it is ok for you to condemn it. Cassell came into the game and did his job. I for one am hopeful for next weeks game against the Jets.

You're right. Cassel did come in and do his job today...against perhaps the worst team in the league. Is it too late to schedule the Chiefs for the remaining 15 games?

30 other teams don't have a Tom Brady (Peyton is the only comparable QB). Last year's superbowl winner didn't have anything close to a Tom Brady. Tom Brady in 2001 was not close to today's Tom Brady.

As if we needed more proof of your lack of knowledge on the game. I can almost guarantee we do not have a top 10 to 15 pick next year, unless it's via trade.

Are you saying that Cassel is as good or better than Eli Manning? Because that sounds like the case you are attempting to make.

You're right. Cassel did come in and do his job today...against perhaps the worst team in the league. Is it too late to schedule the Chiefs for the remaining 15 games?

Sarcasm is not the basis for a good arguement. How about we actually see his performance as time goes on before running out of town.

Well there not going to cancel the season, lets try to move on

Oh who am I kidding, this is a deep cut.. While Matt Cassel had a nice game today, lets face it .. It was against the chiefs, and they sturggled to the end to beat them.. The main reason probably is the team was sucked out of so much energy , most of the guys prob knew how bad Brady was and it has to effect them they are human.. All of the off season work outs mini camp training camp, its gone like that..

A lot of people think we will be fine with Casell.. Well we will be fine as long as he manages the game, but its going to tough, he is a back up for a reason, and alot of people thought he sucked 2 weeks ago and should be cut.. Now he is .... GULP... OUR.... GULP .. starting QB... And we will run with it..

We are still a talent, but Matt Casell is not going to win any games, but as long as he does not lose them, we will still be competivite

But if you are not disappointed about today, you have blind faith.. We were just getting over the super bowl, and today was the day to start anew.. Well now we have to do it again.. This is going to be Tough for Tom , the pats and the nfl, but we have been thru this before..

There will be no records, but lets see if we can still be the team we can be, but the players have a week to recover, because today they lost thier leader.. Get ready for 2001 , type of season ..

If the falling sky hits you in the head, but it's a glancing blow, does it sting, or throb?

Seriously, we have the best coach in football, a top 5 D, Randy Moss and Wes Welker and 3 great running backs. Even if our O-line is as bad as people have been crowing, we're still favorites (IMO) to win the AFC east, even if we have to resort to a game manager. And quite frankly, I'm not all that worry about Matty, sure, he isn't Mr. Right, but chances are he's Mr. Right Now unless Phil Simms Jr. can learn a playbook in 4 days. Let's go Matty [clap-clap-clapclapclap]!

Simms couldn't learn a playbook or execute it in 4 years... That said two of Sooners playoff QB's didn't manage a win today, another is struggling against the mighty Bears, and at least one gunslinger won't get away with hail mary's for long in this conference. And Ben's a perrenial accident waiting to happen.

Matt is Mr. Right Now per BB, that's what he told the team tonight if Tom's injury proved to be as serious as assumed. Maybe this is a good thing - will thin out the herd here and teach people to temper their expectations of superbowls or busts. Lowered expectations can lead to hightened enjoyment of the fan experience - sure did in 2001. I remember being thrilled beyond belief just to win a snowy playoff home game...;)

I feel a lot worse for Tommy than I do for the organization or my peers here...

Every Patriot player, every Patriot coach and every Patriot fan knew that hit on Brady was not a good thing. Yet Cassel being thrown in cold and the rest of the team sucked it up and won the game. Give Bill a week to gameplan and Cassel a week to work with the first team offense and I like our chances next week.

Are you saying that Cassel is as good or better than Eli Manning? Because that sounds like the case you are attempting to make.

I do not know just how good Cassel is because I have not seen enough of him to properly judge. This was the first meaningful game and snaps he has played. I do know that BB and the patriots staff have enough confidence in him to keep him as the backup to Tom Brady (note that they do not just throw whoever the hell they feel like as backup QB, or any roster spot). The faith from BB is good enough for me at this point. Preseason is meaningless btw (for many many many reasons), so don't bring that up in case you were going to.

Sarcasm is not the basis for a good arguement. How about we actually see his performance as time goes on before running out of town.

Cassel will play his ass off. He'll put in his time in the meetings and in the film room. He'll leave no stone unturned when it comes to getting better and helping this team win. Unfortunately, that's no guarantee of success. Every player has a ceiling.

I do not know just how good Cassel is because I have not seen enough of him to properly judge. This was the first meaningful game and snaps he has played. I do know that BB and the patriots staff have enough confidence in him to keep him as the backup to Tom Brady (note that they do not just throw whoever the hell they feel like as backup QB, or any roster spot). The faith from BB is good enough for me at this point. Preseason is meaningless btw (for many many many reasons), so don't bring that up in case you were going to.

Maybe he'll surprise us all. I hope so. I just don't see a lot of cause to believe that...YET.

Every Patriot player, every Patriot coach and every Patriot fan knew that hit on Brady was not a good thing. Yet Cassel being thrown in cold and the rest of the team sucked it up and won the game. Give Bill a week to gameplan and Cassel a week to work with the first team offense and I like our chances next week.

I think we've got a great chance on pure adrenaline and hatred alone. That, and the fact the Jets will come into that game believing it's in the bag.

Maybe he'll surprise us all. I hope so. I just don't see a lot of cause to believe that...YET.

BB's confidence in him is not any cause to believe it?

Mark me down as someone who will NOT be suprised if Cassel plays well in Brady's absence. Not up to Brady's unmatchable standards, but above average NFL QB.

I think we've got a great chance on pure adrenaline and hatred alone. That, and the fact the Jets will come into that game believing it's in the bag.

I think that's wishful thinking and not fact actually. Also how is that we can win games with adrenaline and hatred alone but not with extremely talented team minus Brady? I don't understand the thought process around here today.

Exactly. A few years ago the Bears went 11-5 and made the playoffs with rookie QB Kyle Friggin' Orton, a decent RB and a great defense.

Yes, the team is now only about 70% as good as it was when we all woke up this morning, but that still puts it as a top 5 team in the league.

It won't be easy to even win the East at this point, let alone a playoff bye, but this team always seems to thrive in adversity. It will once again be dealt a huge us-vs-the-world no-one-believed-in-us-when-Brady-went-down-except-the-guys-in-this-locker-room kind of hand.

If the unspeakable is finally spoken and The Franchise is out for the year, I for one will look forward to a storybook season Super Bowl championship.

It would be the perfect bookend to 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots