PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss: "I don't think they going to extend my contract here"

Status
Not open for further replies.
this comment is not a big deal ppl....

stop trying to make it into something significant.:cool:

this comment is not a big deal ppl....

stop trying to make it into something significant.:cool:

It's a pretty big deal. If Ellis Hobbs or Asante Samuel had said this, the entire forum would be burning them at the stake. But because it's Randy Moss, it's okay.

If they trade him without replacing him with a monster WR, then we're looking at a 2006-like team except with a worse running game and far worse defense. That's a 7-9 team.

Brady has won without a monster WR. He couldn't win with one because of what feeding the monster entails and resulted in...a revelation that wasn't lost on the DC's of the league. The monster isn't driven and this OL wasn't built to accommodate the fact that his mere existence mandates an unhealthy mindset that undermines adaptability, which was the cornerstone of this system on both sides of the ball during the first half of the decade we were the team of...

We have 4 picks in the top 53 of the upcoming draft. We can sign any FA we choose to without restriction. If we don't retain star players we free money up and add draft picks. It's not like we're going to return this team to the field in 2010 minus players consuming 15% of the cap and we simply neglect to replace them. Brady got this team to within 30 minutes of a SB in 2006 with Reche Caldwell as his #1WR, and it was a defensive meltdown and one dropped pass from not being enough. He got them 1 game further with Randy Moss as his #1. For all his cumulative stats Moss has been all but a non factor here since December 2007... He had to force himself to go through the motions for freakin' Matt Cassel in 2008...and when the 2009 season with Brady didn't just unfold as a return to pre December 2007 he again reverted to just forcing himself through the motions. I know he was injured, they all were. In his case it was hard to miss, and lots of guys who matched up against him didn't...

Talent is seductive and Brady and Belichick were certainly seduced by Randy Moss in 2007. I hope reflecting back on late 2007 and 2008 and 2009 they both realize that... They both have more than enough to do without having to babysit an insecure, inconsistent, aging talent. That time is better spent grooming coachable youngsters and driven FA who are willing to run through a wall to win a ring and still want to win more...People here are lauding Indy and NO for doing just that. Guess what, been there...done that...time to do it again.

A year from now, Moss will probably balk at our contact offer and say the same thing and the entire fanbase (this time) will jump on him for it. I mean, could you imagine if Moss was a former player and said this? It would almost be like Willie McGinest said that the Pats don't pay their players.

Randy is just pre-emptively laying the groundwork for why he isn't back here next season (or this season even...). Not his play, just what this team does as part of it's core philosophy, arbitrarily walk away from highly productive players they don't choose to pay what they're worth...:rolleyes:

Otherwise folks might get to thinking something else was underfoot...

Last edited:
Anyone who says it's fine for a guy making what Moss is making to call his employer cheap is fooling only themselves. You're damn right the Pats wont make a ridiculous offer to the 34 year old Moss, nobody will. If the Colts stopped paying Harrison once he got this long in the tooth, who is going to pay Moss? If he does land a huge contract, it will only be a one year deal. No way a teams pays him more than 6 million the year he turns 35. You can call that loyalty, I call that straight up stupidity and I thank the good lord every day our roster isn't ran by people who do things like that.

I don't think it's being a homer to say cGinest is simply bitter and is carrying it through out the league; just like all the other veterans. Like 5 pages back I asked someone to give me an example of a guy BB let walk that he shouldn't of, I was told Andruzzi. Should we have kept Andruzzi over getting the younger Mankins the following season?

Re: Moss:"I don't think they going to extend my contract here"

Him saying "They just don't pay" over and over again is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard a current Patriot say. That is not spin. That is crap.

Haven't read all 13 pages PJ but come on. It's expressing pretty much the truth at the elite end. Coming to the Pats is not the way to get absolute top dollar. They spend to the cap but in large part they continue to prefer a large "middle class" and they prefer to enforce a bargain if they get a bargain (i.e., when the contract is up, you can renegotiate, not before.) I mean, I remember that as being the "rule," the "general outlines," though we can all dredge up the exceptions.

They take care of you when you produce (see Seymour's last contract), but not because your name sells well on a jersey (Richie, we hardly knew ya...) So how different is that from what Moss said? His focus is at the elite level, not the spend-to-the-cap level. If you want a raise and your company tells you they pay their bike messengers real well, do you say "well, at least they spend a good percent of revenue on salaries in general?"

Of course we should all remember: this is the pre-'10 negotiation-via-media period. And poor Randy signed his deal in the pre-'08 offseason, so if there's cashing in to do (though that appears doubtful,) he doesn't get to play. This is what he thinks about '11... my reaction is, so?

I love seeing him play. I love the idea that all of '10 constitute an audition, whether for the Pats or for someone else. With all the chatter about who's "happy" where, and with this author speculating about Favre even being there in '11 when we don't know whether he'll grace the turf in '10... that's actually what I like about the Pats' model. No sentiment: we pay, you play. We stop paying, you stop playing, but not a moment before. And don't ever get comfortable, because you're going to have to have this conversation again, no matter how much the fans love you.

Like I always say, I live in Washington, where the exact reverse philosophy pertains: come to DC, get the big check up front, and dog it thereafter. Trust me, "The Patriots Don't Pay" is okay by me, from the fan perspective. You'll never hear Clinton Portis saying "The Redskins don't pay." The Redskins also watch a lot of January games on TV.

PFnV

Haven't read all 13 pages PJ but come on. It's expressing pretty much the truth at the elite end. Coming to the Pats is not the way to get absolute top dollar. They spend to the cap but in large part they continue to prefer a large "middle class" and they prefer to enforce a bargain if they get a bargain (i.e., when the contract is up, you can renegotiate, not before.) I mean, I remember that as being the "rule," the "general outlines," though we can all dredge up the exceptions.

They take care of you when you produce (see Seymour's last contract), but not because your name sells well on a jersey (Richie, we hardly knew ya...) So how different is that from what Moss said? His focus is at the elite level, not the spend-to-the-cap level. If you want a raise and your company tells you they pay their bike messengers real well, do you say "well, at least they spend a good percent of revenue on salaries in general?"

Of course we should all remember: this is the pre-'10 negotiation-via-media period. And poor Randy signed his deal in the pre-'08 offseason, so if there's cashing in to do (though that appears doubtful,) he doesn't get to play. This is what he thinks about '11... my reaction is, so?

I love seeing him play. I love the idea that all of '10 constitute an audition, whether for the Pats or for someone else. With all the chatter about who's "happy" where, and with this author speculating about Favre even being there in '11 when we don't know whether he'll grace the turf in '10... that's actually what I like about the Pats' model. No sentiment: we pay, you play. We stop paying, you stop playing, but not a moment before. And don't ever get comfortable, because you're going to have to have this conversation again, no matter how much the fans love you.

Like I always say, I live in Washington, where the exact reverse philosophy pertains: come to DC, get the big check up front, and dog it thereafter. Trust me, "The Patriots Don't Pay" is okay by me, from the fan perspective. You'll never hear Clinton Portis saying "The Redskins don't pay." The Redskins also watch a lot of January games on TV.

PFnV

Like so many others in this thread, you're missing the point. The number one negative comment leveled at this team is that they are cheap. It is one thing for ex-players to say it. It sounds like sour grapes coming from them. It's also one thing for fans and messageboard critics and the media to say it. It's a completely different animal for a current player, still under contract for $9 million to say it. The biggest gripe that I and others have with it is that he took it to the media. That's a big no-no. The media now has the ammunition they need to bring this up again and again during the season if things aren't going swimmingly for the team. In reality, he should have just kept his mouth shut.

Called Franchise Tag....

Times like these.....wish I had T.Broy and D.Patten back here. I like randy as a person I think he's a cool cat but he just needs to shut his mouth and play. Why is he talking about the future anyway??? Tomorrow he could be traded, your a football player......play football.

We didn't need anyone person to win 3 SB rings we needed a team, nothing has changed. I think the Pat's moved aways from what made them great in sighing all these big name players.....its about team not the name of the back of the jersey.

It's a pretty big deal. If Ellis Hobbs or Asante Samuel had said this, the entire forum would be burning them at the stake. But because it's Randy Moss, it's okay.

it's ok b/c

1. He gets his name out for '11
2. He knows the Pats would not make a new deal b/c of his age.
3. I respect how he let this out now.....
4. he is playing for a contact elsewhere (expect greatness)
5. he will not "dog it" b/c he is playing for a contract
6. every year he gets older he gets a step slower.

Randy Moss is not getting younger. He is a great WR who is not like wine and he does not get better with age. He sees the writing on the wall and he is no dummy. He is campaigning for '11

Randy Moss was not going to be resigned by us after this yr...

he stated the Pats as an organization have alterior motives other than resigning "Randy Moss". (He is RIGHT)

it's ok b/c

1. He gets his name out for '11
2. He knows the Pats would not make a new deal b/c of his age.
3. I respect how he let this out now.....
4. he is playing for a contact elsewhere (expect greatness)
5. he will not "dog it" b/c he is playing for a contract
6. every year he gets older he gets a step slower.

Randy Moss is not getting younger. He is a great WR who is not like wine and he does not get better with age. He sees the writing on the wall and he is no dummy. He is campaigning for '11

Randy Moss was not going to be resigned by us after this yr...

he stated the Pats as an organization have alterior motives other than resigning "Randy Moss". (He is RIGHT)

You respect how he just called the team cheap to the media, of all people? :eek:

he said it "INDIRECTLY".....

he knows the Patriot's would not fork over big $$$ so he used it to his advantage. He is campaigning. Slick POLITICIAN, huh?

Randy Moss @ this point in his career is not worth big $$$

- some sucker team will buy into that thou-

the PATS r about BUSINESS.

there is no room for an expensive aging wide receiver on this team.

It is all about business and that is how it SHOULD BE

PFnV

The Patriots pay elite players only if they are also all in leaders. This just proves they made a mistake in extending Randy. He isn't that player, despite his freakish talent which frankly is crusing down the back nine as it always does... The really scary part is he really thinks he's earned his money here and proven to be a wise investment...Honestly, the egos of most of these guys just floor me. The only double digit cap hit we've ever had on this team who gets it is the 6th round QB...who has outproduced each of his contracts substantially even after missing an entire season... Randy is trying to claim that productive durability was their only concern in extending him...no, what happened down the stretch AGAIN last season and what he just said was...This team doesn't lack talent, it lacks leadership and accountability and maybe lately even brains ...the red flag was that this guy was ever elected/allowed to be named a captain. Makes me hope Wes can avoid PUP because beyond Brady that title should have been his from the get go.

The difference is that Moss is actually ON the team still. The media, fan base, and message board have no bearing in this argument. They aren't a part of the team and can feel free to speculate. Moss' comment carries much more weight than those already off the team (who were looked at as being "sour" more than anything). If Moss was already off the team, the **** would hit the fan in this forum. The only reason that people are standing up for him is because he is still going to wear a Pats uniform next season.

Players wearing the uniform has never shielded them from my disapprobation when I've felt it warranted. I just don't have a problem with Moss stating something as obvious as this.

I don't think he mailed it in. I think he played hurt and still had a good year. I love having Moss on the Pats. I just wish he would have shut the **** up.

My thoughts exactly when I saw the video clip of his comments. He was being completely self-indulgent.

Here are the facts.

-Randy Moss wants to win a superbowl
-He took a cheaper offer to re-sign with the pats, to win that SB.

He probably can't be to pleased that the team has entered rebuilding mode, trading away half its defense. He knows he doesn't have much time left to get a ring.

Nobody but him can tell what he really is trying to do with these negative statements, but it has to be one of these:

1) He wants out now to be on a team that can be a top contender now.
2) He wants an extension now and is trying to make a point
3) He's just speaking the truth as he sees it.

That was bizarre. How can he say "the Patriots don't pay" over and over again?

"You know the Patriots don't really pay, so when I got my second contract from them that was a blessing in disguise" may be the strangest quote by a Patriot I've ever read.
Yeah, the mental gymnastics to say they don't pay except when they paid me struck me. I wonder if it'll strike Randy.

He's lost a step, but is still wicked fast. If he can sublimate his ego to be the best #2 WR in the league, great. (On rereading that, it seems like I'm accusing him of having a big ego. I'm not. Any player has that.)

If not and say, the Lions, offer him a Brinks truck to be their #1; Thanks for the memories Randy. No hard feelings as long as you don't go to the Jets.:)

Moss could have got more money after 07 if he signed with the eagles, and lets remember that it was between us and the Packers when he was still in Oakland. Would he had put up 23 TD's in Green Bay? Probably not, but Favre was good that year, and he more than likely would have had a monster year.

I think Moss is frustrated here, the team he came too is largely gone. He knows the writings on the wall. But when i read things in this thread like 'Moss should shut his *expletive* mouth", I'm just thinking, you don't have to take things so personally. After all, Moss's, and any other players responsibility is for themselves first, not whats best for the Patriots. It's a business.

Except for seymour did the pats ever sign some one on there own team market value?. i am not even sure brady got market value.

According to Moss, when Moss re-upped.

Hey, sorry I busted your point.:) I guess now you need to put two exceptions in there.:)

Hey, except for the Sharon Tate thing, when did Manson's people kill anybody?

it would never happen but during a No Cap.... like this yr

I would be very enticed if we offered him to Philly Eagles for a draft pick.

Could you imagine

Jackson '
Maclin
Moss
Avant
reggie Brown
Curtis (31 yrs old) CONTRACT NEARING end

technically w/ Moss Curtis could be cut. After no cap yr or befvore their call

What a WR CORE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back