PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss hasn't faced a guy like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are the numbers reported in the media. Find better numbers from reputable sources or shut up.

Wrong.

Because he did it and MSNBC, among other mainstream media, reported it and Moss confirmed it when asked about it.

Says the deranged loon from the 14 point underdogs who thinks he's found the kryptonite to arguably the greatest WR of all time, who is being thrown to by the greatest QB of all time.

I'm sure Jerry Rice has something to say about the best of all time.

Numbers are ALWAYS fudged in the NFL. My gf is 5'3 and Sproles isn't much taller than she is and he's listed at 5'7. no way is that possible.

I'm just the type of guy who doesn't believe anything unless I see it with my own eyes. What was Moss' combine numbers? I'de believe those more than some numbers that FSU was throwing around about 4.25's and 4.23's. I just don't buy it. Plus, Belichek probably just fell in love with Randy from the get go and it could have just been a media ploy to tell them Randy ran a 4.29 to get the fans to fall in love with Randy. Not saying it didn't happen but the ONLY 4.29 I've EVER seen was a 190 lb CB in the combine. That's just world class sprinter speed and NFL WR's aren't world class sprinters, it's just not what they train for.

Also, I'm not saying you're wrong about Cromartie, just that he was injured. It should have been noted that he was injured when running for the combine. Also, what does Brady run in the 40 this year? What about Maroney? Players just don't have "official" numbers after their rookie year.

Last edited:
I figured it was just a well known fact that Maroney runs upright and Morris was just the better RB. I mean, look at the way he runs, it looks like he's staring at the sky.[/QUOTE]

By these comments your futher corroborate your lack of football intelligence when it matters most.

Go check the facts on who has 2nd most rushing yds out of 5 RB's that were drafted in 2006. Furthermore, Maroney has been hampered by injuries. Despite that and a prolific passing attack he is only 300yds or so behind Addai.

Need more facts, SIR CLUELESS

It means a 12 MPH wind, just like it says.
That's not enough to disrupt a passing game, but it IS enough to make the wind chill feel below zero.

lol. perfect time for weather.com to adjust huh? a couple hours ago the flags said high and it said 22mph. Who knows though, it could be 70 degrees by gametime. The weather is always changing so it's just hard to predict what the weather is going to be a week from now.

lol. perfect time for weather.com to adjust huh? a couple hours ago the flags said high and it said 22mph. Who knows though, it could be 70 degrees by gametime. The weather is always changing so it's just hard to predict what the weather is going to be a week from now.

Especially here. That's absolutely true.
I can guarantee one thing.
It won't be 70 :)

I figured it was just a well known fact that Maroney runs upright and Morris was just the better RB. I mean, look at the way he runs, it looks like he's staring at the sky.

By these comments your futher corroborate your lack of football intelligence when it matters most.

Go check the facts on who has 2nd most rushing yds out of 5 RB's that were drafted in 2006. Furthermore, Maroney has been hampered by injuries. Despite that and a prolific passing attack he is only 300yds or so behind Addai.

Need more facts, SIR CLUELESS[/QUOTE]

you know what's really funny? I'm not trying to talk smack to you guys, you guys are just defensive. I know I'm talking a little smack on your RB but the underlying meaning is the overwhelming praise is for Brady. If Maroney is never the focal point of the offense like how Dillon was then I don't think we'll ever know the type of RB you may have. He's a good RB in the second level but IMO he runs too upright in traffic, similar to Lawrence Phillips but just better. I really liked Sammy Morris because he was the vet and knew how to lower his shoulder and get the tough yards. I think we could all agree that if Maroney never becomes the focal point then we'll never know the truth. All we know is that he gets the yards against nickel and dime defenses.

Now you honestly need to get your facts strait. You do know that the stats your throwing around is while Cro was STILL recovering from a torn ACL right? These are numbers from the combine. I would love to see Moss run a 4.29 at the combine where nothing is biased this year, or at least compete at the NFL's fastest man race. If they had a video available I would love to see it because he didn't even run that in his prime. 22 year olds don't run those kinds of number, what makes you think a 30 year old with a history of knee problems could run that? c'mon there's some bias there, you have to realize that my friend.

While at Florida State, Moss ran a 4.25 40-yard dash, with only Deion Sanders being faster (4.23). Moss ran a 4.25 before he got kicked out of Florida State. Someone said earlier that Cromartie was the fastest person he had seen since Sanders the fastest timed player at any level since Sanders has been Moss(soon to change with ECU's chris johnson rumored to run a legit 4.2 flat 40).

Last edited:
you know what's really funny? I'm not trying to talk smack to you guys, you guys are just defensive. I know I'm talking a little smack on your RB but the underlying meaning is the overwhelming praise is for Brady. If Maroney is never the focal point of the offense like how Dillon was then I don't think we'll ever know the type of RB you may have. He's a good RB in the second level but IMO he runs too upright in traffic, similar to Lawrence Phillips but just better. I really liked Sammy Morris because he was the vet and knew how to lower his shoulder and get the tough yards. I think we could all agree that if Maroney never becomes the focal point then we'll never know the truth. All we know is that he gets the yards against nickel and dime defenses.

Man, you gotta stop watching ESPN.
As the weather has turned colder, Maroney has carried the load a lot, and been very successful. It wasn't all done against Nickel and Dime defenses.

I'm sure Jerry Rice has something to say about the best of all time.

Numbers are ALWAYS fudged in the NFL. My gf is 5'3 and Sproles isn't much taller than she is and he's listed at 5'7. no way is that possible.

I'm just the type of guy who doesn't believe anything unless I see it with my own eyes. What was Moss' combine numbers? I'de believe those more than some numbers that FSU was throwing around about 4.25's and 4.23's. I just don't buy it. Plus, Belichek probably just fell in love with Randy from the get go and it could have just been a media ploy to tell them Randy ran a 4.29 to get the fans to fall in love with Randy. Not saying it didn't happen but the ONLY 4.29 I've EVER seen was a 190 lb CB in the combine. That's just world class sprinter speed and NFL WR's aren't world class sprinters, it's just not what they train for.

Also, I'm not saying you're wrong about Cromartie, just that he was injured. It should have been noted that he was injured when running for the combine. Also, what does Brady run in the 40 this year? What about Maroney? Players just don't have "official" numbers after their rookie year.

You started this debate with purported facts. Your 'facts' were debunked as half-truths or flat-out wrong. Now you want to wave your hands and say stated facts are meaningless.

You're either incredibly ill-informed and naive, disingenuously trying to backpedal out of a losing argument, or are outright trolling.

I've figured it out, guys, Dojo Chargerfan=Mike Felger.

So you're telling me a good passing game opens up the running game? Is that you, Bill Walsh? Are the Chargers going to try to stop the running game of the Patriots? I doubt it, so does that mean Maroney is going to see a few more lighter fronts? Does that mean Maroney will have a good shot at having another very good game? Probably.

Now let's look at the Chargers. What is the Chargers strength? Running the ball with Left on The sidelines and Michael "Get me the hell outta here" Turner. What will Bill Belichick want to take away from the Chargers? The run. Will that open up things in the Chargers' 26th ranked pass offense? You betcha. Will that 26th ranked pass offense be able to match the Patriots historically great offense point for point? Again, I doubt it.

Oh, and PS, shytferbrains, "the better runner" had fewer yards, a lower ypa, and fewer carries than Maroney when they were both healthy and playing against the same defenses. I'm surprised a Charger fan doesn't respect Maroney when he carried the ball seven times on a ten minute drive in the fourth quarter of a pretty embarrassing loss in the second week of the season (for six yards per). Think the Chargers wanted to stop the run and get the ball back? How'd that work for them?

I've figured it out, guys, Dojo Chargerfan=Mike Felger.

So you're telling me a good passing game opens up the running game? Is that you, Bill Walsh? Are the Chargers going to try to stop the running game of the Patriots? I doubt it, so does that mean Maroney is going to see a few more lighter fronts? Does that mean Maroney will have a good shot at having another very good game? Probably.

Now let's look at the Chargers. What is the Chargers strength? Running the ball with Left on The sidelines and Michael "Get me the hell outta here" Turner. What will Bill Belichick want to take away from the Chargers? The run. Will that open up things in the Chargers' 26th ranked pass offense? You betcha. Will that 26th ranked pass offense be able to match the Patriots historically great offense point for point? Again, I doubt it.

Oh, and PS, shytferbrains, "the better runner" had fewer yards, a lower ypa, and fewer carries than Maroney when they were both healthy and playing against the same defenses. I'm surprised a Charger fan doesn't respect Maroney when he carried the ball seven times on a ten minute drive in the fourth quarter of a pretty embarrassing loss in the second week of the season (for six yards per). Think the Chargers wanted to stop the run and get the ball back? How'd that work for them?

Now, a rookie ran for 296 yards against our defense, does that mean we're a horrible defensive run team? no. In fact, we're still top 5 in the league outside of that game. Sometimes teams just have bad games and things happen that doesn't usually happen.
I, personally, would MUCH rather see Maroney carry the ball 30 times than see Brady throw the ball 30 times. Unfortunately, if Maroney carries the ball 30 times it probably means we're losing knowing the Pats offense.
I completely get your point about Rivers being a product of LT but, to me, it's a little different. Rivers has come back from being down 27 points in Denver and has led the Chargers from behind many times over 2 years. I just haven't seen enough of Maroney to have a opinion of him being competent to lead his team to a win. Some people may think that Rivers is average and a loud mouth but we love him in SD and that's probably the same way you feel about Maroney. I guess we'll just agree to disagree. It does come down to opinion I guess.

Are you ******ed?
Cromartie gambles.
We know that.

Do you think Cromartie alone will beat us?
Think again sucka!

SD is screwed.

This reminds me of a Washington fan telling me, "yeah but you ain't gone up against no Sean Taylor before."

I responded... "Okay, so this game is different because Washington, unlike other teams, has a safety?"

Same basic deal, clown. We'll do what we do. You'll do what you do. We'll move on. You'll go home.

Again.

Look on the bright side... it's not even a home SD game, so there's no SD logo to do a ******ed epileptic dance parody on.

PFnV

He did a great job covering Reggie Wayne both times we played the Colts this year, and will probably be moved to the left side to cover Moss. We won't come with the same game plan we did in week 2. This time Moss will match up against Cromartie.

That's fine. If Cromartie is tied up covering Moss, then that leaves Welker, Stallworth and Gafney to make the big plays as they did against the Jags. Moss had one catch for 12 yards in that game.

That's fine. If Cromartie is tied up covering Moss, then that leaves Welker, Stallworth and Gafney to make the big plays as they did against the Jags. Moss had one catch for 12 yards in that game.

Correction, 1 reception for 14 yards. Don't slight Moss like that! :D

To Charger fans, who is going to cover Watson, Welker, Stallworth, & Gaffney? Unless Cromartie can clone himself the Chargers are toast. I really don't think Cromartie will be able to match up with Moss as well as you think but we'll see. Being a athletically gifted is very different from being an incredibly gifted FOOTBALL player. Moss is considered one of if not the greatest WR ever. What has Cromartie done against a WR like that? Nothing because he hasn't been matched up against a WR like that.

If you have forgotten, Moss set the all time regular season TD reception record. You don't do that without making ridiculous catches over and around CB's (yes even very gifted ones) and being able to split the D.
ImgDyn.cfm

Also, Moss can jump pretty high too!
ImgDyn.cfm

I HOPE they leave Cromartie one on one with Moss. PLEASE do that. The term "shutdown corner" is very overused in the NFL today, especially considering Polian's new pass interference rules. The only way to "shutdown" a good wide receiver one on one is to play press and bump and run (i.e. beat the snot out of him and bump him constantly as he runs his routes). Back in the day, before Polian's rules, a few freak athletes were capable of doing this. Nowadays, its almost impossible to consistently do it.

Despite what the media implies, Champ can't do it, Assante can't do it, Newman can't do it, nobody can do it consistently. The closest thing in my mind to old school one on one play is the Packers CB's and they walk the line in regards to PI rules. Woodson (one of my favorites) leads the NFL in PI if I remember correctly and ask Al Harris about TO burning him in the reg season game. It's a risky game to play and one that takes experience to master and to gain enough trust from the coaches to let you try (again, see Woodson, Harris, Baily- all experienced). Cromartie is still too raw which is why you see him playing zone so much. Hell, even that great leaping interception was made in zone.

The only way to "shutdown" Moss is to double him with a safety WAY over the top and hit him hard as soon as he gets it while jamming him at the line, holding him and bumping him. Also, it damn well better be a very good safety at that (see Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins). However, this means a bunch of other things. One, it means you will get zone below the coverage or one on ones (and I trust Welker one on one with a nickel or Watson/Faulk one on one with an LB). Two, it might mean nickel or dime packages and takes a safety out of the box which means Maroney time. Either way, Pats win. Thats the Moss effect.

You go one on one on him and you are dead. All that speed and ability won't help Cromartie if Moss puts a double move or evades a press and gets a 5 yard jump on him. At that point it becomes about smarts and technique, and with so little experience, the edge goes to Moss on that one.

I've watched more Patriots games than any other team besides the Chargers this season and Brady just throws it up to Moss on the deep routes and Moss outruns the defenders or shoves them out of the way to catch the ball like he did in the Dolphins game. Brady does not "thread the needle" on deep passes because he's inaccurate on the deep passes. Moss just makes up for Brady's inaccuracies through his physical skills. Cromartie will take advantage of Brady's weaknesses.

Did you even watch the Jacksonville game, did you turn on the TV ? What makes you think the Pats are going to want to throw bombs to Moss. For one thing I can't wait to see the looks on the Charger faces when they step off the bus and feel the 14 degree game time temps.

Telling you right now, get the Cromartie/Moss thing out of your head, we have so many other options on offense, that it's really not even fair. Brady will take all of the underneath stuff to an uncovered Welker, Gaffney and Watson and pick his opportunites with Moss.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great stuff. This thread seems to get cloned every week by some knucklehead fan of the Patriot's opposition. I'm very happy that all you care about is shutting down Moss. Afterall, it worked so well for Jacksonville, Cleveland, Washington, etc. You can go home proud Moss didn't have 150 yards receiving and four touchdowns, and we'll go home happy to play in the Superbowl...but at least you have your moral victory.

He did a great job covering Reggie Wayne both times we played the Colts this year, and will probably be moved to the left side to cover Moss. We won't come with the same game plan we did in week 2. This time Moss will match up against Cromartie.

Moss had 1 reception against the jags, a superior team imho to the chargers, and how did that turn out for us ? Thats the big difference between the chargers fans and pats fans, you guys place 4 or 5 guys upon a mantle and worship them, never do i hear anyones names besides LDT, River, Merriman, gates and cromartie, and the team suffers when they have bad days, yea you went 8-0 against the likes of KC 4-12, Ravens 5-11, detroit 7-9, denver 7-9, oakland 4-12, great job.

But we place our whole team on a mantle and if one person is tripled covered, we have the depth and ability to go elsewhere with the same results, over and over again, sure brady and moss and welker had a great year, but there were 20 other players that have gotten touchdowns when the big guys were slowed or stopped by the defense.....

Yea Cromartie is good, ive seen better, but individuals will not come into our house and beat their chests and think they'll win with 4-5 ok players, not this time. Takes heart and Alot of teamwork for 60 minutes, something i believe the chargers are lacking in....

Last edited:
Nice pics. The kid is a speciman.

I don't think we're too worried about Moss getting shut down. When Randy is shut down bad things continue to happen to defenses.

The problem for a defense is that they are playing the complete offense. It's not going to roll over just because one guy gets shut down. It won't roll over even if the pass gets shut down.

It will be a chess game with more combat-ready pieces on the board for the Pats, and a better field general giving the orders.

I've watched more Patriots games than any other team besides the Chargers this season and Brady just throws it up to Moss on the deep routes and Moss outruns the defenders or shoves them out of the way to catch the ball like he did in the Dolphins game. Brady does not "thread the needle" on deep passes because he's inaccurate on the deep passes. Moss just makes up for Brady's inaccuracies through his physical skills. Cromartie will take advantage of Brady's weaknesses.

Yeah, okay. Inaccurate. Why don't you ask the Jags about that inaccurate deep pass to Stallworth last week? Make a note to yourself - Brady doesn't have any weaknesses. And if Cromartie is as good as you say (debatable, as Brady & Moss routinely outsmart/torch young defensive backs), then Brady will use his non-weakness smarts & just toast somebody else in your secondary all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down