PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More fishwrap round-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/health/x1585895962
"Our No. 1 one goal is to help these patients manage their pain and improve their quality of life," Nathin said.

The center opened May 1 and Rouse was one of its first patients. Recently, he worked out on some of the high-tech equipment in the functional rehabilitation room. The machines use the Monitored Rehab System, a sophisticated computerized program used by the New England Patriots, the doctors said.

As a patient lifts weight with his back or legs, a kind of video game pops up on the screen in front of him. A red dot goes back and forth along the bottom of the screen and its movement is controlled by the patient's motion. The goal is for the patient to stop falling blue dots by hitting them back up with the red one, reminiscent of the 1970's Atari game, "Pong."

The machine records the patient's accuracy, and in turn his strength and control, and records it for next time. The technology helps patients see incremental improvements that would otherwise be hard to measure and therefore discouraging to the patient, the doctors said.
To quote that anoying NFL gear commercial, "I want one!"

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=220927
"Adding Moss is like putting golden rims on what is the AFC's poshest stretch limo -- the Patriots will be stylin' with or without him, and he should be well aware of that."

Of course, one man doth not a Super Bowl contender make, and we at Sporting News would be remiss to let you forget it. That's why we take the pains to break down both sides of the ball and spotlight key players -- including Mr. Brady himself.

Fans' sympathy for Culpepper puzzling, considering animus to ex-players who gave more
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...jun12,0,7802699.column?coll=sfla-sports-front
These are the some of the same fans, after all, who envy the Patriots, the undisputed leaders in inflexible stances.
-----
The perception angle: Some fear that a perception of unfairness to players can undercut free agent efforts and undermine team chemistry. Remember when New England's veterans were outraged by the release of team leader Lawyer Milloy in 2003? Then they went on to win a Super Bowl. Free agents? Still coming.
-----
The hassle angle: This does seem like a lot of agitation for a shot at a late-round selection. Still, it's the Dolphins' hassle, not yours. They don't deserve your sympathy any more than Culpepper does. Consistency would be plenty. And patience -- until they screw up the pick.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/10222057
5. Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis: The most prolific quarterback in fantasy football, Manning is the lone non-running back that will warrant first-round consideration. The productive and durable signal-caller is a virtual lock to finish the season with 4,000-plus passing yards and 25-30 passing touchdowns in what will remain one of the league's most feared offensive attacks.

ROUND TWO

21. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans: Brees is close to 100 percent health after he suffered a dislocated left elbow in the Pro Bowl, so that ailment won't hurt his stock in drafts. He still has some real talent on offense, so expect another season with 4,000-plus yards and 25-plus scores.

24. Carson Palmer, QB, Cincinnati: A talented and experienced quarterback with an explosive right arm, Palmer has what it takes to find continued statistical success in what will remain one of the better offenses in the NFL. A season with 4,000-plus yards and 25-plus scores is within reach.

ROUND THREE

31. Tom Brady, QB, New England: The addition of Randy Moss to a corps of receivers that includes Donte' Stallworth and Benjamin Watson makes Brady even more attractive for owners.
We're dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!!!!

I can't help remembering this little item I noticed earlier...
http://www.jaguars.com/News/Article.aspx?id=6080
John from Jacksonville: Do you play Madden? If so, with which team?
Vic: I never play Madden. I like football.
:rofl:

Last edited:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2007-06-12-offseason-report_N.htm
Buffalo Bills coach **** Jauron firmly rejects the concept of rebuilding and the concessions it suggests.

"I'm not a person who uses that word at all," says Jauron, entering his second year with the Bills.

Jauron is to be applauded for his optimism, and it is understandable why a team in a small and difficult market would insist it's in a win-now mode.

Yet the reality of Buffalo's recent struggles and the youthful makeup of its roster suggests the organization is pointing more toward 2008 and 2009 than 2007.
-----
The Bills' willingness to sever ties with McGahee was not surprising. Although he often spoke of his desire to emerge as one of the league's elite backs, his actions indicated otherwise. He was the lone veteran to miss voluntary minicamps after Jauron arrived last year with a new playbook.

To make matters worse, McGahee's production was slipping. After banging out seven 100-yard games in 2004, he broke the century mark just twice last season. After suffering a devastating knee injury at the end of his University of Miami career, he was never the electrifying breakaway threat Bills fans yearned for. He also frustrated coaches by looking for seams that were not there rather than grabbing available yardage.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=1256
After three days of full-squad minicamp, it became clear just how the Patriots saw fit to surrender second- and seventh-round picks, plus nearly $10 million in guaranteed money, to get Wes Welker in the fold. There was no more intense player on the Gillette Stadium practice fields, and few as a versatile as the former Dolphin, who was the only of the new receivers to get consistent first-team work.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/x151700419
Since the club's shocking, scintillating and unexplainable triumph in Super Bowl XXXVI, New England has spent its summer - at least the part not consumed by the Red Sox - in high anticipation of the football season to come.

But it's never been like this.

Even in three seasons of world championship defense, even when the team carried a 15-game winning streak into a season, even when the Patriots entered camp in search of an unprecedented three-peat, and even when Deion Branch's saga chewed up airtime and column inches, it wasn't quite like this.

Never has there been so much intrigue. Never have there been so many subplots. Never did the team seem to possess so much potential.

There's no other way to explain the national media descending on the little suburb of Foxboro for, yes, last week's full-squad minicamp.

This is the most awaited, not to mention scrutinized, Patriots team of all-time.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070612-9999-1s12chargers.html
League observers agree the Chargers are going to have to get creative over the next couple of years, freeing up cap space and getting players and agents to agree to structure cap-friendly contracts.

Smith is typically undaunted. He refers to the New England Patriots, who seemingly every offseason have to deal with a player who demands more money.

“And they keep winning,” he said.

Smith has long predicted the Chargers would be victims of their own success.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070612/COL22/706120383/0/SPORTS18
We talk about football character and personal character. Shaun Rogers has neither.

Most of us realized that months or even years ago, but when it comes to recognizing the obvious, you could say the Lions lack team speed.

Maybe they will figure it out now. A warrant has been requested for Rogers' arrest for allegedly groping a stripper at 1:15 a.m. Friday, barely eight hours before the team held an open practice at a Detroit high school.
-----
Yet Lions coach Rod Marinelli said recently that his defensive line "has got to drive the franchise." Rogers is easily the team's most gifted defensive lineman. This leads me to a conclusion that is so horrifying that it requires italics, caps-lock and a stiff drink:

ROD MARINELLI THINKS SHAUN ROGERS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT GUY ON THE WHOLE TEAM.

I have a message for the Lions organization. It might take awhile to get there, because I am sending it from Earth. But here goes:

You cannot build a winning team around a guy like Shaun Rogers. You just can't. Look at Randy Moss. He was an absolute disaster for the Raiders -- whiny, uninterested, unproductive. The team was losing, so Moss checked out. Moss even looked slow, which is absurd for a player with his talent.

The Raiders finally traded Moss to New England. Now Moss might thrive with the Patriots this fall, and some people will say, "Hey, look how dumb the Raiders were -- they gave up on Randy Moss." But those people will be wrong.

Randy Moss was never going to be productive for the Raiders. He has no interest in lifting up a team. He is a complementary piece, not a building block. So is Shaun Rogers

Thousands of Chargers' fans wish McCree hadn't attempted to run after intercepting a pass during the playoff loss to the Patriots. McCree pick off Tom Brady's fourth-down throw with the Chargers leading by eight points with about 6 1/2 minutes remaining. But during the return, McCree had the ball knocked out of his hands by New England's Troy Brown.

The Patriots recovered at the Chargers' 32-yard line and cashed in on McCree's miscue for a touchdown and a tying two-point conversion. New England went on to a 24-21 victory.

Five months later, McCree said he feels he let his teammates down with the fumble but doesn't question his decision not to fall to the turf.

"No, I didn't second-guess myself," McCree said. "I just should've held on to the ball. I've got quite a few interceptions (16 in the NFL, counting playoff games) and never in my career ---- high school, college or pro ---- has that ever happened to me.

"Hindsight being 20-20, I would do it again. That was Tom Brady, and he's got a lot of time on the clock. I got one or two guys to make miss and I'm off and running. If I score, I'm a hero.

"I'm not just going to bat the ball down, but I've got to hold on to the ball or get down. Yes, absolutely."
He wants to be a hero more than he wants the team to win, I guess. Because if he bats the ball down, the Chargers host the Colts for the AFCCG, just like that. End of story. No he's not a hero, but his team wins. Which is more important?

Maybe if the situation repeats itself in week 2, he will go for the INT again. Maybe this time he can deflect it into Moss's hands for a TD. No need to make the same mistake twice, when you can make different mistakes. Makes the game more interesting.

I want to thank BOR for providing this and other excellent threads of information. It has become my first stop for learning the "Patriot News of the Day." Thanks, BOR. Maybe you should contact Ian and start your own blog on the web site, one that collects information threads from various sources, a la Profootballtalk.com, but with a Patriot twist. That would formalize a service you are already offering to fellow fans. Call it the "Box o' Rocks". That would be a welcome addition to the site!

I want to thank BOR for providing this and other excellent threads of information. It has become my first stop for learning the "Patriot News of the Day." Thanks, BOR. Maybe you should contact Ian and start your own blog on the web site, one that collects information threads from various sources, a la Profootballtalk.com, but with a Patriot twist. That would formalize a service you are already offering to fellow fans. Call it the "Box o' Rocks". That would be a welcome addition to the site!

utter concurrence

thanks meatball--your tireless parsing of the media cesspool is simultaneously fascinating, edifying and frightening

:yeahthat:

Thanks, Box!

No need to blog to provide some football news, I prefer the discussion potential of a thread over a blog anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back