PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mookie Betts - Traded to Dodgers w/David Price.

Mookie will probably test the market in free agency. It could be a 1 year hiatus.
Yeah, it’s weird. Seems like that should definitely be the case where he’d be open to that, but it seems like when somebody leaves they don’t really ever come back

I don't get any Red Sox fan who says "It was clear he never wanted to be here" or believe the 12/420 report, that was only reported by Lou Merloni, who is a grade A doofus and would probably believe anything the team told him. I'll bet anyone on here $50 that Mookie doesn't get those numbers. Very few people know what Mookie is thinking, certainly not any of us fans. What's clear is that he loved being a part of Boston and the community and loved the fans. Who knows what he thought about the team, maybe he was disgruntled about the arbitration offerings, but he's a Scott Boras client so he's not going to take a hometown discount, nor should he.

Instead a minority of Sox fans are blaming Mookie, when we have a front office that made a series of horrific deals that were clearly bad as soon as they were signed, and then claimed poverty when it came time to resign someone who could have been the best Red Sox player since Ted Williams. The Red Sox could obviously have afforded him. They rake in hundreds of millions in profit each year and the owner is worth billions. Paying him an extra 5 million a year would relative to the 10/300 we offered would clearly have been fine. I don't see how people get all worried about the finances of the team when there's only a tax, not a cap, which we could get under in a year or two if we stopped giving out contracts to Price, Eovaldi, Sandova, Castillio, and the rest of the riff-raff.

Nobody should sign with ownership on this. I saw rumors that they want to sell the team in a couple years anyway so this is just a move to help that process - no baseball reasons whatsoever, just a huge dump on the fans to they can exit and make billions. **** John Henry. I hope someone swabs the deck of his yacht with coronavirus.

I'm personally of the belief that no one player is worth that type of money...not Mike Trout, Mookie Betts, Bryce Harper. If a player can get that deal, good for him; I would certainly take almost half a billion dollars to play a sport. But I think the team willing to pay it is a sucker. In addition, these contracts are now paying absurdly high prices into later years (like when the player turns 40.) This is an out of whack market.

I was glad to see the Nationals win the WS after that joke got paid $330M somewhere else.

Or take the Angels. They are a perennial loser with Mike Trout and a sht show for a supporting cast. They know this is a losing team. So they could trade him for a king's ransom of prospects, but instead they threw 450M at him to ensure they won't be competitive for the next 12 years.

Got a good nucleus of players. Devers killed it last year and Benny Boegarts were productive.

Baseball is dying though. Sad in a way, but they did it to themselves. Only 8 teams matter every year and it hasn’t changed in 2 decades. You can farm all the prospects you want but if you aren’t willing to pony up, your window is too short because other teams just poach away that are willing to spend Ny, LA, Boston etc.

Yeah. I’d rather him get to FA, and see what the top offer is, and then top it.

They weren't really in a position to do that, because of the CBA.

Got a good nucleus of players. Devers killed it last year and Benny Boegarts were productive.

Baseball is dying though. Sad in a way, but they did it to themselves. Only 8 teams matter every year and it hasn’t changed in 2 decades. You can farm all the prospects you want but if you aren’t willing to pony up, your window is too short because other teams just poach away that are willing to spend Ny, LA, Boston etc.

From 2001-2018, there were 12 different teams that won the World Series.

Arizona
Anaheim
Florida
Boston
Chicago (WS)
St. Louis
Philly
New York
San Francisco
KC
Chicago (C)
Houston

this just keeps getting better. hopefully we get some more in the deal now

this just keeps getting better. hopefully we get some more in the deal now

Oh I agree. Maybe Manfred said something behind the scenes. They need another primo prospect from someone at some point.

Oh I agree. Maybe Manfred said something behind the scenes. They need another primo prospect from someone at some point.
looks like they are wanting a top 10 prospect from Minn in addition to Graterol

Why don't the Dodgers pony up another prospect in the deal? Seems like they're the ones making out like bandits already...

Some of you can abuse Kraft. The RedSox is what ****ty ownership looks like

I think this deal is way better ...
Cost certainty with 2 of 9 starter potential position players.
This will allow them to spend wisely on pitchers going forward.
Grateral has constant injuries written all over him - too small for what he does in the long haul.

I think this deal is way better ...
Cost certainty with 2 of 9 starter potential position players.
This will allow them to spend wisely on pitchers going forward.
Grateral has constant injuries written all over him - too small for what he does in the long haul.

I agree. Unlike football, there isn't one position in baseball worthy of spending 1/5 of a salary structure on. Happy to let him go before he leaves on his own, and happy to get a couple of legit prospects in return, and happy that the ownership can reset the financial clock and now overspend the soft cap in the following years.

There's a third prospect, as well: Connor Wong (C)

Baseball Prospectus, from 2019:
Wong has excellent coordination that allows him to make hard line drive contact consistently, but the combination of an extreme arm bar, aggressive approach, and trouble recognizing breaking balls lead to outlandishly high strikeout rates that threaten to derail the offensive profile. The arm bar helps him generate power, but it also creates huge holes up and on the inner third. ...

Defensively, Wong has solid hands behind the plate, and while he doesn't always have a smooth path to the ball, he performs well enough vertically and on the edges of the zone to add some value with his receiving. He has good footwork on blocks and a quick transition out of the crouch, which helps an average arm to play. The organization has flirted with second- and third-base reps for him, as well.

Wong currently projects to a tandem catching role at the major league level if he can shorten up the upper half of his swing and continue to bring his pop into games against experienced arms.

I believe that Wong is the second (and only other) prospect coming this way besides Verdugo...

Edit: I forgot about the infielder Jeter as the 3rd piece in return...How could I have forgotten somebody with that name?

Last edited:
Verdugo, Downs, and Wong package is a good return for Betts and Price IMO. We were not going to give Betts $400M...or even $300M. so get something in return and they did that. Getting rid of Price is just a bonus. He is an up and down pitcher and poor inthe clubhouse. Good riddance to him.

Anyone think we may be in on the bidding when Betts hits FA? I could see him going to the Yankees. that would be a double nut punch.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back