PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Momentum Changing Plays In Patriots Postseason History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats1989

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
There have been unforgettable moments where the Patriots seized control of a big playoff game they were trailing in. What are yours?

Below are mine:

In SB 49, up 24-14, Wilson threw a pass on 3rd down that Butler either knocked down or Kearse ( or maybe it was Baldwin) dropped. Had it been converted, Seattle would've been in NE territory. Obviously Edelman's 3rd and 14 catch he made, and getting lit up, to start the comeback was huge. I always wonder if BB would've gone for it had it been incomplete. There were about ten minutes left.

In SB 39, the Eagles were up 7-0 when the Patriots fumbled deep in Philly territory. You'd think the Eagles would have all of the momentum. Nope. They proceeded to go three and out, Givens grabs a TD, and they never look back.

SB 51: Patriots go three and out & Atlanta gets very good field position. They go three and out & punt. Obviously some may say the HT play, which is fair too.

Tuck Rule game: Raiders up 10-0 when they punt, and it looks like the Patriots are about to start from their own goal line. But a Raiders player plays the ball while in the end zone. Patriots start at 20. Oh, Bruschi also made a big play on 3rd & 1 to stop a first.

06 playoffs @ SD: Troy Brown play. Enough said.

SB 38: Jon Kasay....lol.....

There's been so many in the last 2 Super Bowls. Basically just pick any defensive or offensive play from about half way through the 3rd quarter on in last years Super Bowl and it will fit the bill.

I've rewatched that game a couple of times and it's almost unbelievable that every play that had to be made, the Pat's made in that last quarter and a half.

There's been so many in the last 2 Super Bowls. Basically just pick any defensive or offensive play from about half way through the 3rd quarter on in last years Super Bowl and it will fit the bill.

I've rewatched that game a couple of times and it's almost unbelievable that every play that had to be made, the Pat's made in that last quarter and a half.

For as well as the Patriots played, Atlanta needed to screw up too...and they did. From snapping the ball with alot of time on the clock, to throwing bombs instead of running it.

Big fan of the Butler play. After the freak catch it just seemed like this was going to be another retelling if the same story.

There were 3 SB wins then it looked like a tragedy would close out the dynasty. Butler didn't get the script and IMO jump started dynasty part two.

For as well as the Patriots played, Atlanta needed to screw up too...and they did. From snapping the ball with alot of time on the clock, to throwing bombs instead of running it.
It's funny how the criticism of Jacksonville is for doing the opposite of what they criticized ATL for. Atlanta was too aggressive with a lead, kept doing what got them the lead.

JAX too conservative, stopped doing what got them the lead.

In either case the Patriots benefitted from the other teams "stupidity" in the eyes of pundits.

It's funny how the criticism of Jacksonville is for doing the opposite of what they criticized ATL for. Atlanta was too aggressive with a lead, kept doing what got them the lead.

JAX too conservative, stopped doing what got them the lead.

In either case the Patriots benefitted from the other teams "stupidity" in the eyes of pundits.

Ultimately, both teams went to their bread and butter....and it burned them. I'll never forget that shot of Blank dancing in the suite.....and then the look on his face when the Patriots were about to win in OT. Talk about two extremes. It's like he knew what was about to happen, and there wasn't a darn thing he could do.

Big fan of the Butler play. After the freak catch it just seemed like this was going to be another retelling if the same story.

There were 3 SB wins then it looked like a tragedy would close out the dynasty. Butler didn't get the script and IMO jump started dynasty part two.

Butler indeed made a great play. But BB would've gotten so much heat had they lost. I couldn't believe he didn't call a timeout at the time. He said it in the Do your job piece that Seattle looked disorganized, and he didn't wanna let them off the hook. Maybe Seattle would've opted for a different play with a NE timeout. Nonetheless, BB would've been crucified if Seattle scored and no time was left for Brady.

so many, just in SB51.
Off the top of my head...
-4th and 3 to Amendola
-fail to recover onsides kick, but still force 3 and out
-Hightower strip sack
-ATL driving, NE drawing a hold, then the sack
-3rd and 10 to Hogan on the right sidelines
-Mitchell falls down and catches a 1st down pass, I think on 3rd down too
-Edelman miracle catch, should have been an INT
-the pass that popped up into the air that could have been intercepted but went right to Bennett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST