PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mock draft has Pats taking Randy Moss' son who is TE

tasmlab

Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I don’t think he’s going to go that low, but I’d definitely be okay with it.

I don’t think he’s going to go that low, but I’d definitely be okay with it.
Actually, it's a deep (and good) WR draft, maybe 20 deep as far as GOOD WR's, and there are at least 10 really good TE prospects. So he MIGHT last until the 3rd. There should be a pretty big run at WR in the 2nd round.

All that being said, the WRs and TEs will get recalibrated as far as their rankings, once they go through the Combine & Pro Days. For instance, the thought is Moss runs a high 4.7, BUT, if he runs a high 4.5, it'll boost him up. Guys like WR Tee Higgins, people think he's just a possession receiver at 6'4' 215, but if he runs 4.5 or lower, may move him up in the 1st round.

My point is, It's too early to predict where these guys will land, yes, as of today 2/5/20, the predictions for all these guys in their rankings is pretty similar by the prognosticators, but the Combine and Pro Days (and interviews) change those rankings pretty quickly.

The team's pass catchers also probably get some free training camp coaching from Dad if this happens! Talk about a guy who "picked up the Patriots complicated system" immediately :D

Charlie Taumoepeau - TE/FB 6'2"/245 - 4.62/40

the guy has played every skill spot on the field

Charlie Taumoepeau, Portland State, FB, 2020 Draft Scout, DraftScout.com/NFL Draft Scout

The Draft Network

Pros: Bring versatility and athleticism to the TE position. Has shown the football IQ and versatility to align inline, flexed out, and in the backfield as an “H’. In the run game he's a willing blocker. Doesn’t generate vertical movement but is competitive and strong enough to hold the point. In the passing game is where his true value is. He's an ideal fit in todays NFL due to his versatility and prowess in the passing game. He has good releases off the line of scrimmage and demonstrates good savvy as a route runner. Does a good job uncovering and creating separation against man coverage underneath. Demonstrates good hands and courage to catch seams over the middle. Has very good long speed and shows the competitiveness to make tough catches. He will be a matchup problem for linebackers and some safeties and should primarily be used as an “F” or an “H” back role in the NFL. Skill set reminds me of Even Engram but not quite the dynamic athlete Engram is.

Cons: Doesn't have ideal size, however there is definitely a place for his skill set in todays NFL. He's not ideally suited as a 3 down TE. He should mainly be used in passing situations and flexed out as an “F”or “H”. It could benefit him to improve his overall strength for the NFL. May be a package player, at this stage but could develop a more consistent role with improved strength and technique in the run game.

PROS: Outside of quarterback and offensive line, Taumoepeau has played every position on the Vikings offense. Your eyes are constantly wandering pre-snap to find out where he’s aligned because he was utilized in so many different ways. That type of versatility will benefit him on the next level because of the feel that he’s been able to gain from playing all of those spots within games.

Hands are highly consistent and he also has the ability to reach into areas outside of his comfort zone in order to haul in passes. Snags the ball out of the air and quickly puts it away in order to get up the field, but is a proven hands catcher that can be relied upon in many ways in the passing game. Average speed and the short-to-intermediate areas of the field are his domain. Can make himself a large target in between the hashes by winning in tight areas and posting up in the middle of the field.

A majority of his damage came in the underneath areas, but also down the seams. A huge credit to why Taumoepeau led all tight ends in the country in yards per catch during the 2018 season (20.7 ypc) was how comfortable he was with working the seams. Utilized on deep over routes on the opposite hash, straight vertical seams, and shallow crossers were the most common patterns during his career.

CONS: Used often on split zone, counters, on the perimeter, and in-line. Has the ability and shows the attitude of wanting to block, but lacks clear understanding of how to and which techniques to use. His blocks are a huge guessing game and filled with whatever it takes types of blocks instead of showing a semblance of low pad level and technique in order to sustain blocks.

Body movements and running motion can be a bit tight. More of a build up and distance runner that takes a few yards in order to show signs of another gear. Fails to use his arms when opening up and running, which is a main reason why there’s such a delay to hit another gear in his routes. Has the speed to win in underneath areas, but any routes that travel past 10-12 yards are a challenge to create clear separation.

Only 4 TEs were chosen in this mock before #98 - Kmet, Hopkins & the Bryants...If all of Pinkney, Okie, Trautman & Parkinson are still available here, I'm probably taking one of them before Moss.

And I absolutely hate the other 2 picks he makes for us during round 3...

giphy.gif

Randy approves.

Only 4 TEs were chosen in this mock before #98 - Kmet, Hopkins & the Bryants...If all of Pinkney, Okie, Trautman & Parkinson are still available here, I'm probably taking one of them before Moss.

And I absolutely hate the other 2 picks he makes for us during round 3...
Edit: I also want to clarify that I like Moss as a #3 who could eventually be a good #2 with more experience; I just don't know if he will ever be a legit #1 on a contender like other 4 still available in this mock could possibly become.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back