PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mock draft game discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 defensive ends taken out of the last 4 picks.
Still some DT/DE prospects available.
And a bunch of WRs still to be had.

I know this is a mock draft, but this scenario could happen. This would leave me and a lot of other patsfans facepalming. Brandon Graham is a good pick, but Jared Odrick needs to be chosen. Look, at pick #44 the pats won't find immediate impact at DE. Wright ends up being a starter :(

I know this is a mock draft, but this scenario could happen. This would leave me and a lot of other patsfans facepalming. Brandon Graham is a good pick, but Jared Odrick needs to be chosen. Look, at pick #44 the pats won't find immediate impact at DE. Wright ends up being a starter :(

Indeed. And I'm not sold on BG being a fit for the Pats 3-4 two gap system either. The best remaning guys for the Pats would probably be Carrington or Alualu. Carrington needs to gain weight though (only 285) and Alualu is a touch on the short side at 6'3.

Indeed. And I'm not sold on BG being a fit for the Pats 3-4 two gap system either. The best remaning guys for the Pats would probably be Carrington or Alualu. Carrington needs to gain weight though (only 285) and Alualu is a touch on the short side at 6'3.

You should watch some tape on Graham. I've seen hours and hours and hours, and he's the best edge player in the Draft against run and pass.

Forget his height, neither TBC or Burgess fit that mould of typical Pats DE/OLB's and BB loves them both. There's maybe 4 guys in the entire Draft with the right measurables for a Pats OLB, and only one of them really appeals to me.

Graham is a clone of Lamarr Woodley, who we reportedly loved coming out in 2007. Passing on him would be a massive mistake.

You should watch some tape on Graham. I've seen hours and hours and hours, and he's the best edge player in the Draft against run and pass.

Forget his height, neither TBC or Burgess fit that mould of typical Pats DE/OLB's and BB loves them both. There's maybe 4 guys in the entire Draft with the right measurables for a Pats OLB, and only one of them really appeals to me.

Graham is a clone of Lamarr Woodley, who we reportedly loved coming out in 2007. Passing on him would be a massive mistake.

I'm not convinced that he is a fit for this system with his lack of size (onlye 6'1) and length (only 32 inch arms). I don't think it's a 'massive mistake' to pass on somebody who doesn't fit your system. Lamarr Woodley was a great fit for the Steelers 3-4 ONE gap system but there's no guarantee he would have enjoyed the same success in the Pats 3-4 TWO gap system.

It's like the guys who beat the drum to draft Maualuga. He wasn't a fit for the Pats system and I was convinced the Pats wouldn't draft him. And that's exactly how the draft turned out.

Last edited:
Come on now Skins and Browns GMs. What's the holdup? :)

I'm not convinced that he is a fit for this system with his lack of size (onlye 6'1) and length (only 32 inch arms). I don't think it's a 'massive mistake' to pass on somebody who doesn't fit your system. Lamarr Woodley was a great fit for the Steelers 3-4 ONE gap system but there's no guarantee he would have enjoyed the same success in the Pats 3-4 TWO gap system

Forget his height and arm-length. Watch him stacking and shedding and breaking double teams. Watch him tracking the RB and stopping him for no gain.

I stated in my description he's not got the usual measurables the Pats like, but everything else about him is Pats-like.

And forget the gap system, it has no meaning with the OLB's. They simply read and react in our D. Graham has superb instincts to go along with his excellent physical tools.

Passing him, and watching him going on to be a huge success, which he will be, will be a massive mistake.

Forget his height and arm-length. Watch him stacking and shedding and breaking double teams. Watch him tracking the RB and stopping him for no gain.

I stated in my description he's not got the usual measurables the Pats like, but everything else about him is Pats-like.

And forget the gap system, it has no meaning with the OLB's. They simply read and react in our D. Graham has superb instincts to go along with his excellent physical tools.

Passing him, and watching him going on to be a huge success, which he will be, will be a massive mistake.

The system is EXTREMELY pertinent to the discussion.
Adam Carriker might have been useful in the Pats system but he's useless for the Rams.
They tried to fit a square peg into a round hole and it didn't work.

The comparisons to Woodley and Dumervil are useless because they play in completely different defensive systems from the Pats 3-4 two gap system. You need different types of players and physical builds to succeed in each system.

How did Klecko do? He just didn't have a position to play in the Patriots 3-4 system. If he had lined up on the ground as a 4-3 DE his quickness would have made him effective. But standing up, he couldn't get to speed fast enough, and the OL got into his pads and rendered him useless because his arms are too short.

The same weaknesses in turn apply to BG when trying to plug him into the Pats system on the outside. Believe it or not, SYSTEM DOES MATTER, FIT DOES MATTER, and SIZE DOES MATTER. Stick BG into the Steelers, or Chargers, or Broncos system, and he might be great, since he'll be allowed to just attack his one gap. Stick him in the Pats system where he has maintain responsibility for two gaps, then attack from a standing position, and has to take on Tackles or Guards and he'll likely disappoint. This is all logical, it's not a knock on BG as a player, it's just a rational analysis based on scheme.

BG's only hope to fit in the 3-4 two gap would be a conversion to ILB. And then maybe his stack and shed skills, if they are as good as you say would help him succeed there, or maybe not. But I'm not willing to spend a 1st round pick on a conversion project to ILB which is not as nearly as big a need as OLB.

Last edited:

As it may be, my concern with Graham isn't his pass rush (although he needs more moves) or his run game, it's his ability to play in reverse, that we missed on when he became the next Michigan hammy casualty at the Combine. He's an interesting player, one I won't be surprised to see NE bring in for a visit, but there are holes in our knowledge.

Ok Gm's I have a PM from CanadianPat'sFan and I will post it shortly.

Cool, the Skins get another bust of a WR. :D

Thoughts on Benn?

Cool, the Skins get another bust of a WR. :D

Thoughts on Benn?

As talented a WR as there is in the Draft. Very raw, but has the potential to be the best receiver out of this year's class.

Well,
I had to take D. Thomas for the Browns as he was BPA in my book. I had to look over the list a couple times to make sure he was not picked already. Was going to go with a DE with the 2nd round pick, but thought the value was better with Thomas

The system is EXTREMELY pertinent to the discussion.
Adam Carriker might have been useful in the Pats system but he's useless for the Rams.
They tried to fit a square peg into a round hole and it didn't work.

You've got the wrong part of the system. The Pats OLB's are taught to read and react. The gapping system has very little to do whatsoever with the responsibilities of our OLB's. Their job is to read the play and adjust accordingly. One gap - two gap, it doesn't matter. It's the style of the defense.

The comparisons to Woodley and Dumervil are useless because they play in completely different defensive systems from the Pats 3-4 two gap system. You need different types of players and physical builds to succeed in each system.

The Broncos style is similar to ours. It's not a two gap, but it's most certainly a read and react D.

And you don't need to be Willie Mac size to succeed in our system, of course the coaches would prefer our edge guys to be 6'4" 270lbs, we all would, but Rosie and now Tully have proven that you can succeed despite lacking that height. What really matters is that you have the game. And Graham does.

How did Klecko do? He just didn't have a position to play in the Patriots 3-4 system. If he had lined up on the ground as a 4-3 DE his quickness would have made him effective. But standing up, he couldn't get to speed fast enough, and the OL got into his pads and rendered him useless because his arms are too short.

How did Tully do? Why do you keep going back to the failures and ignore the successes? And there's a heck of a difference between a 4th round shot in the dark, and a first round pick. Graham's going to go high for a reason - because he plays the edge as well as anyone in the country.

And this is where your different systems garb doesn't hold weight - whether you're in a one gap, Bum Phillips 3-4, or the two gap Fairbanks 3-4, your OLB's are standing up. The gap or the style doesn't matter. It's about burst and the first step. Klecko didn't have it, Graham, Woodley, Dumervil, Harrison et al do.

The same weaknesses in turn apply to BG when trying to plug him into the Pats system on the outside. Believe it or not, SYSTEM DOES MATTER, FIT DOES MATTER, and SIZE DOES MATTER.

And again you miss the point. It's about instincts, burst and technique for OLB's. You can be 6'4" and have 36" arms - but it won't matter if you're as dumb as a rock and have the first step of a Coke machine.

If Graham was 2 inches taller, he'd be a top 10 pick. And you'd be waxing the Dolphin.

Stick BG into the Steelers, or Chargers, or Broncos system, and he might be great, since he'll be allowed to just attack his one gap.

Epic. Fail.

Again, it's not about the gaps, its about reading. You can have an attacking two gap system. You can have a read and react one gap system.

Which the Broncos do have.

Stick him in the Pats system where he has maintain responsibility for two gaps, then attack from a standing position, and has to take on Tackles or Guards and he'll likely disappoint. This is all logical, it's not a knock on BG as a player, it's just a rational analysis based on scheme.

It would be a rational analysis based on viewing his play. Sadly you're wrong, which you would know were if you'd watched him play. His attributes and his ability are a perfect fit for this defense. His height is not, but then neither is TBC's, nor was Rosie's, or even AD who looked a stud when asked to play OLB.

But hey, keep on hating.

BG's only hope to fit in the 3-4 two gap would be a conversion to ILB. And then maybe his stack and shed skills, if they are as good as you say would help him succeed there, or maybe not. But I'm not willing to spend a 1st round pick on a conversion project to ILB which is not as nearly as big a need as OLB.

Or simply, play Graham at OLB where his attributes and abilities are perfectly suited, especially for this team.

Anyway, the pick is made, I'm delighted with it, it seems most of the forum would be delighted with it in real life - discussion over.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm about to make my pick for the Raiders. Hold on while I hunt for a picture and such.

Getting to know Oakland's new 2nd round pick, Rodger Saffold:

CS: During your time at the Shrine Game, I’m sure you met with a number of teams. What teams did you meet with, and were there teams that showed more interest in you than others?

RS: I basically talked with every team. They want to get your information, see what you can do on the field and critique you from those standpoints. The teams that showed the most interest in me were the Cleveland Browns, Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots. There were a bunch of other teams I spoke with. It was just a pleasure to talk with every team, because they tell you what you should work on.

http://chi.scout.com/2/947078.html

Last edited:
Toby Gerhart, one of my few binkies in this draft. Can be the man to get the majority of the carries in SD with Sproles getting the few. I have never seen a 2nd round player with so many pros and so few cons.

Pros:
Production-Doak Walker award winner (best back in the country)
Size-6' 232 pounds
Speed- 4.5 40 good for a big back
Intelligence-Highest wonderlic score of runningback at 30.
Combine-Had solid numbers throughout.

Cons:
Not great at running outside.
Runs too upright sometimes.

In the words of Gerhart.
"I don't get why people compare me to John Riggins, etc. because I'm white. I compare my running style to Corey Dillon".

Go cry on your couch Jahvid!

Totally agree with you.

Take Odrick with the 1st round to help the right side of the DL ( remember the Ravens running all over Wright and TBC). Odrick could play DE on 1st and 2nd down then move inside in a pass rush situation.

Still have a shot at a good edge pass rusher like Sapp, Hughes, Misi in the 2nd.

VJC when you get a chance take a look at the Fox Sports mock draft. When you see the Raiders #1 pick I bet it will make you laugh. Who knows maybe we are on to something.

Last edited:
It's the style of the defense.

Exactly, and Michigan's defensive system has no resemblance to the Pats defensive style at all.

The Broncos style is similar to ours. It's not a two gap, but it's most certainly a read and react D.

Your failure to understand the difference between a two gap and a one gap defensive system is the central reason you don't understand why BG isn't a fit.

And you don't need to be Willie Mac size to succeed in our system, of course the coaches would prefer our edge guys to be 6'4" 270lbs, we all would, but Rosie and now Tully have proven that you can succeed despite lacking that height. What really matters is that you have the game. And Graham does.

The big difference is that TBC was drafted with a 7th round pick not a 1st round pick. It's much less of a gamble to draft an undersized guy with a late round pick.

How did Tully do? Why do you keep going back to the failures and ignore the successes? And there's a heck of a difference between a 4th round shot in the dark, and a first round pick. Graham's going to go high for a reason - because he plays the edge as well as anyone in the country.

TBC was a mediocre player in his first tour of duty. When he rejoined the Pats in 2009, the depth at OLB was pathetic, giving him the opportunity to play. He showed a better understanding of the system his second time around and did well. I don't expect any OLB conversion project to succeed early in the Pats system, and a 1st round pick MUST make an impact early. Therefore you don't gamble on a bad physical fit for the system with a top draft pick.

And this is where your different systems garb doesn't hold weight - whether you're in a one gap, Bum Phillips 3-4, or the two gap Fairbanks 3-4, your OLB's are standing up. The gap or the style doesn't matter. It's about burst and the first step. Klecko didn't have it, Graham, Woodley, Dumervil, Harrison et al do.

And none of those guys listed played in the Patriots system except for Klecko who was an abject failure.

If Graham was 2 inches taller, he'd be a top 10 pick. And you'd be waxing the Dolphin.

Wrong, I'd be wondering at that point if Graham was the next Shawn Crable. Certainly if Graham were as tall and long as Crable, a lot of the physical questions would be answered. But the fact remains that the Michigan defensive system still does not resemble the Patriots system in any way shape or form and the LAST player we took from that system looks like an utter disappointment.

It looks more like you're the one 'waxing the dolphin' for Graham, regardless of how he would fit into the Pats defense, whatever in the world that term might mean.

Epic. Fail.

Yes so far your efforts to convince have been just that.

It would be a rational analysis based on viewing his play. Sadly you're wrong, which you would know were if you'd watched him play. His attributes and his ability are a perfect fit for this defense. His height is not, but then neither is TBC's, nor was Rosie's, or even AD who looked a stud when asked to play OLB.

He'll probably make a wonderful player in the RIGHT system. That just doesn't happen to be ours. AD has looked like CRAP in the Pats defensive system so again you don't sound like you know what you're talking about. For whatever reason AD has failed to perform at a high level in an OLB role in the Pats system. Is it due to his size or more his attitude? It might be a little of both.

But hey, keep on hating.

No hate at all. Graham sounds like he might make a wonderful player for the right team and the right defensive scheme. But he's a terrible fit both scheme-wise and size wise for what BB is looking for in an OLB.

It's just not worth risking a 1st round pick on a player who may be a poor fit for the system. Now if he slips to round 2, then the risk might be acceptable enough to take a shot on BG, but not before then.

I'm sure you're going to rail at BB for making a "MASSIVE MISTAKE" when he passes on your binky in the 2010 draft. I'll just smile and wait for BB to trade down and pick up extra value like he usually does.

VJC when you get a chance take a look at the Fox Sports mock draft. When you see the Raiders #1 pick I bet it will make you laugh. Who knows maybe we are on to something.

That is pretty interesting... but I have more confidence in Gosselin mocks. In last year's draft, I got 26/32 1st rounders right. Gosselin got 28/32. Hard to find credible an unknown who might not even get as many picks right as I did. ;)

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...riots-1st-round-nfl-mock-draft-4-23-09-a.html

Last edited:
Exactly, and Michigan's defensive system has no resemblance to the Pats defensive style at all.

Your failure to understand the difference between a two gap and a one gap defensive system is the central reason you don't understand why BG isn't a fit.

The big difference is that TBC was drafted with a 7th round pick not a 1st round pick. It's much less of a gamble to draft an undersized guy with a late round pick.

TBC was a mediocre player in his first tour of duty. When he rejoined the Pats in 2009, the depth at OLB was pathetic, giving him the opportunity to play. He showed a better understanding of the system his second time around and did well. I don't expect any OLB conversion project to succeed early in the Pats system, and a 1st round pick MUST make an impact early. Therefore you don't gamble on a bad physical fit for the system with a top draft pick.

And none of those guys listed played in the Patriots system except for Klecko who was an abject failure.

Wrong, I'd be wondering at that point if Graham was the next Shawn Crable. Certainly if Graham were as tall and long as Crable, a lot of the physical questions would be answered. But the fact remains that the Michigan defensive system still does not resemble the Patriots system in any way shape or form and the LAST player we took from that system looks like an utter disappointment.

It looks more like you're the one 'waxing the dolphin' for Graham, regardless of how he would fit into the Pats defense, whatever in the world that term might mean.

Yes so far your efforts to convince have been just that.

He'll probably make a wonderful player in the RIGHT system. That just doesn't happen to be ours. AD has looked like CRAP in the Pats defensive system so again you don't sound like you know what you're talking about. For whatever reason AD has failed to perform at a high level in an OLB role in the Pats system. Is it due to his size or more his attitude? It might be a little of both.

No hate at all. Graham sounds like he might make a wonderful player for the right team and the right defensive scheme. But he's a terrible fit both scheme-wise and size wise for what BB is looking for in an OLB.

It's just not worth risking a 1st round pick on a player who may be a poor fit for the system. Now if he slips to round 2, then the risk might be acceptable enough to take a shot on BG, but not before then.

I'm sure you're going to rail at BB for making a "MASSIVE MISTAKE" when he passes on your binky in the 2010 draft. I'll just smile and wait for BB to trade down and pick up extra value like he usually does.

If he is such a bad fit, then why are there two on the roster? I don't think those guys played OLB at UM. All BG has to prove is that he can play standing up. That's not going to happen until after he's drafted anyway. Are you telling me if Dwight Freeney was on this roster we would have to run a Tampa 2 to get the most out of him. Hell NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes