PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mock draft game discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well from my sources Sharpton was easily the highest rated ILB available and I was stunned he wasn't taken much earlier.
I felt that way about Goethal, he was making plays all over in his All-Star game.

Profuse apologies, guys. I rather dropped the ball on my last three picks. I forgot to log-on and check. :bricks:

His marathon isn't until June, so he can't still be stuck on the course...maybe ashes have burned through his cable? :confused2:

Mate, it's only 5,000m.... we're aiming to run half of it.... :eek:

Mate, it's only 5,000m.... we're aiming to run half of it.... :eek:
Right, a marathon by my standards...and it will feel like one for you. :D

At this point, it's merely which flavor you prefer. :)

This was a lot of fun. I look forward to next year, and I hope we have another great turnout.

OK, knowing what I know now: I'm happy with Suh. The Lions' pass rush needs all the help it can get and collapsing the pocket from the middle can only help. Pouncey was a kind of BPA pick, as the Lions could really benefit from interior line help. I think he's too good to pass up and can play Guard.

Dixon was a "following on from Pouncey" pick. If he and Pouncey are as good as advertised, then they will help out the Offence and keep the D off the field for large spells.

Thurmond addresses need- a risky pick with lots of potential. Polk is a hard hitter, so my fantasy is to move him to SS on running downs.

In hindsight, I would have picked an OLB higher. With Sims gone, this is a real area of need for the Lions. I would actually use their 2nd or 3rd on this.

At this point, it's merely which flavor you prefer. :)

This was a lot of fun. I look forward to next year, and I hope we have another great turnout.

...and fun is very much the point. What I like about this is the imaginative picks of my fellow posters and that this is a great way to learn more about picks.

I love the fact that even with Mr. Irrelevant being a Cane, Troy University had more(4-3) selections than the U.

looking at how each round broke down by position...

Rd1
QB 2
RB 2
WR/TE 4
OL 8
DL 7
LB 4
DB 5

Rd2
QB 2
RB 2
WR/TE 5
OL 3
DL 9
LB 4
DB 7

Rd3
QB 1
RB 4
WR/TE 5
OL 5
DL 9
LB 4
DB 7

Rd4
QB 1
RB 2
WR/TE 8
OL 5
DL 4
LB 3
DB 10

Rd5
QB 1
RB 4
WR/TE 7
OL 7
DL 5
LB 7
DB 7

Rd6
QB 1
RB 4
WR/TE 7
OL 6
DL 7
LB 6
DB 7

Rd7
QB 2
FB 3
WR/TE 9
OL 9
DL 6
LB 9
DB 8
P 1
K 1

Obviously the DE/OLB conversion guys can go either way, but this is as close to accurate as I could come up with.

What this tells me is if you want a WR/TE you can likely hold off til Saturday, but if you want DL you probably want to draft them by Friday. Ater the 1st round there's slim pickings for OL. DBs peak in round 4. QB/RBs stay pretty steady throughout.

Your picks don't look controversial this year, although some might question the Decker selection. It's not that bad a pick. It's just that the last time we drafted a Golden Gopher... :p Hopefully he'll recover from that Lisfranc injury and he won't be lured away from football by the promise of the Major Leagues.

That's why Decker went to Tennessee... :D

WOW.. I got the Tennessee pick correct again..

And curse you for that. :enranged:

*LOL* I think that is like 4 or 5 picks of theirs that I have gotten.. Granted, not necessarily in the correct round.

Mock Rd1:
QB 2
RB 2
WR/TE 4
OL 8
DL 7
LB 4
DB 5

Actual Rd1:
QB 2
RB 3
WR/TE 3
OL 6
DL 7
LB 4
DB 7

pretty much the same except 2 more DBs and 2 less OL

*LOL* I think that is like 4 or 5 picks of theirs that I have gotten.. Granted, not necessarily in the correct round.

Good call. Do you have the lottery numbers? :p

Good call. Do you have the lottery numbers? :p

No, but I need to figure out how to stop thinking like Jeff Fisher and start thinking like Belichick.. But walking before I run is a start ;)

Here's the final results after this weekends draft. Oh well at least all of the players I selected were drafted this time. :D

1)1 Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma Drafted by Rams 1st pick

This is the Rams quarterback of the future and its time to stop looking at other positions for your very first pick and get your quarterback. As much as I like Suh the Rams have to get Bradford here I just can't see them passing on a quarterback again this year.

2)33 Everson Griffen DE USC Drafted by Minnesota 100th pick

The Defensive End position needs upgraded in a major way and with Leonard Little getting older and not much depth I wanted to address this need right away and with a talent like Griffen falling I could not pass on selecting him at a major position of need and value. This will take some of the pressure off of Chris Long on the other side.

3)65 Navorro Bowman OLB Penn State Drafted by San Francisco 91st pick

When you read the scouting report on Bowman it states first round talent with character flaws but a top weak side linebacker and guess where the Rams lack depth? You got it weak side linebacker as in no depth and before the signing of Na'il Diggs nothing to mention as far as a top player at that position.

4)99 Carlton Mitchell WR South Florida Drafted by Cleveland 177th pick

At this point in the draft it was time to get Bradford some weapons and when I started searching for value at this point this player kept rising up boards that I was looking at and when I saw the measureables 6'3 215 4.4 well I believe he's more than just a red zone threat.

5)132 Ed ****son TE Oregon Drafted by Baltimore 70th pick

Another weapon to grow with Bradford and stretch the middle of the field as well as another big target for my young QB. Three year starter for the Oregon Ducks and a consistent player in that offense and runs solid routes.

5)163 T.J. Hart S Oregon Drafted by Cleveland 38th pick

When I was scouting the Ducks this was the player I was focusing on for my defense and I had a feeling he would be gone before I could make the selection but I thought I would take the chance and was able to get him after all. The scouting report on him is that he's a solid tackler and reminds you of Bob Sanders and that was enough said for me also he was a leader on defense.

6)170 Charles Scott RB LSU Drafted by Philadelphia 200th pick

I saw enough of this player during the season that I know that he will be a good backup for Stephen Jackson. This young man is a punishing runner and has a nose for the end zone. He's hardly ever brought down by the first tackler and a two year starter for the Bayou Bengals.

7)208 Kevin Thomas CB USC Drafted by Indianapolis 94th pick

Bringing in more depth for the defense with this nice sized corner from USC who had a good senior season and will bring in more competition for the secondary. This player plays heads up football and has better than average football awareness.

7)226 Brandon Deaderick DT Alabama Drafted by New England 247th pick

Looking at the big trade today I'm glad I made this selection. But VJCPatriot said it earlier during this draft process that Carriker was not a good fit for the Rams defense and I see they finally bit the bullet and traded him to the Redskins.Deaderick played under the shadow of a few good players on that Alabama defense and did not do much during the season as he had the previous year but he had a reason. If you had got shot in the arm I'm sure it would make a difference in your performance as well.

7)254 Chris Scott OT/OG Tennessee Drafted by Pittsburgh 151st pick

I wanted position versatility with this selection and thats why I went with this big fellow from the Volunteers. Speaking of big check out these measureables 6'5 338 and a three year starter for the Vols convinced me to add him to the Rams offensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back