PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMA / Boxing / Combat

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There has to be other fans out there on here. I'm a huge boxing fan. Love MMA, Muay Thai / Kickboxing.

As a boxing fan I've been hoping Fury & Usyk would eventually link up. Huge fan of both actually. I love both styles and give Usyk a better shot than most. I think he's a bigger Loma.

We're getting Charles & Islam in October's in Abu Dhabi. I'm pumped. Charles in one of the most exciting fighters out there. Fights with tremendous pace and pressure. Isn't afraid to mix it up standing or on the ground. And Islam is extremely thoughtful, shows good patience and pressure. Very sound doesn't make mistakes and probably has outstanding cardio. I'm excited.

We know Izzy & Alex are going at it and it won't be a point fest or boring fight. Some of that is definitely on Izzy but ONLY we bc most of his opponents are stunned in the ring. You can imagine it, live it in your head for months, years. Train with best. Until you get in with a Izzy or Jon Jones, there's very little replicating it. That won't be the case here. AP sends guys out on stretchers wearing pillows for gloves. He grazed Strickland and sent him somewhere else. He's got real power. And he does a fantastic job setting up that deadly left hook with his right. You watch his fights and highlights and see it over and over again. I'm guessing that'll be in Brazil in January?? I know it's not announced but we are getting Brazil in January correct?

Who Khamzat going to fight? He's been quiet. Quiet usually means things are happening behind the scenes. Any fans out there? I wish him and Burns would run that back.

Marty and Edwards in August.

Canelo & GGG in Sept.

154 has some juice though. Spence & Crawford are fighting end of this year. You'd imagine there's a rematch bc of each records. They're supposedly moving up to 154 next year though. There you have some animals like my boy Fundora, Tszyu, Israil and obviously Charlo. That could get interesting. Go watch Sébastien Fundora if you haven't. He's a freak.

I'm a big fan of Rodtang, Tawanchai, Masaaki Noiri and Superbon. Those guys are a different breed.

Who are you looking forward to seeing? Favorite fighters?

I’m getting into MMA more and more. While I was taking a break from the board and I wasn’t traveling, I started training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. My stand-up game has always been sound as my dad was an amateur boxer growing up and taught me as a way to keep in shape during the football offseason. I’m getting better in sparring sessions, but still not good enough to compete. I got thrown around like a rag doll by guys half my size when I first started.

We know Izzy & Alex are going at it and it won't be a point fest or boring fight. Some of that is definitely on Izzy but ONLY we bc most of his opponents are stunned in the ring. You can imagine it, live it in your head for months, years. Train with best. Until you get in with a Izzy or Jon Jones, there's very little replicating it. That won't be the case here. AP sends guys out on stretchers wearing pillows for gloves. He grazed Strickland and sent him somewhere else. He's got real power. And he does a fantastic job setting up that deadly left hook with his right. You watch his fights and highlights and see it over and over again. I'm guessing that'll be in Brazil in January?? I know it's not announced but we are getting Brazil in January correct?

I don’t know, man. Izzy is a very boring, very defensive fighter. Guerrero did knock him out twice as both were coming up in the game, though. Definitely has good odds of being Izzy’s most entertaining fight, to date.

I’m getting into MMA more and more. While I was taking a break from the board and I wasn’t traveling, I started training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. My stand-up game has always been sound as my dad was an amateur boxer growing up and taught me as a way to keep in shape during the football offseason. I’m getting better in sparring sessions, but still not good enough to compete. I got thrown around like a rag doll by guys half my size when I first started.
I love boxing. Wish I had the time to spar but I still hit the bag. Do what I can. Just don't have the time for more but that's great you're doing that. Very good for mind and body long term.
I don’t know, man. Izzy is a very boring, very defensive fighter. Guerrero did knock him out twice as both were coming up in the game, though. Definitely has good odds of being Izzy’s most entertaining fight, to date.
These two have been going at it for it as you know. Lot of ****t talked and bad feelings. Hoping we get a good one. Both are killers.

UFC needs a boost. Most of their draws are not fighting for we reasons. A few divisons have become stale. Cards haven't lived up to the hype and they always used to put crazy cards together. They really need a few guys to step up. #'s have been down all year so hopefully we get a banger in October and January.

Take my money ...

... I actually have a box but same idea.

Damm I heard 5 RDS. That has to be from Diaz and its smart. Probably the only way he could win. That's a big fight though. Diaz last fight in UFC. Would be Khamzat's biggest win. I know he beat Burns but that was a very close, 50/50 fight. Diaz is a draw (moneymaker) and still a good W to have.

Damm I heard 5 RDS. That has to be from Diaz and its smart. Probably the only way he could win. That's a big fight though. Diaz last fight in UFC. Would be Khamzat's biggest win. I know he beat Burns but that was a very close, 50/50 fight. Diaz is a draw (moneymaker) and still a good W to have.
I’ll watch anything the Diaz brothers are in. Absolute warriors with peak level cardio. Khamzat should go in as the favorite, but that’s going to be a war.

280 lookin stacked

280 lookin stacked

Landwehr vs Onama was the fight of the year. Maybe one of the GOAT fights, if I’m being honest. That reminded me of Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar.

Yoooooo hahahaa I can't believe I just found this thread! Two of my favorite posters talking my favorite sport!

Aljo and Dillashaw is a banger. Dillashaw's kali-style footwork can result in unwanted leg exposure for Aljo to enter on the single but outside of Cejudo TJ is probably the best defensive wrestler at 35.

Islam and Olivera is going to be great. We all know where the fight will be contested which skill on skill many could say is a wash. Tactically, though, Islam gets the nod. Islam is not going to expose his back, he's not going to give Olivera space, and barring a pure miracle he should pound out a decision victory.

Khamzat might legimitately murder Nate.

Favorite fighter: Khabib.

Love boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, bjj, mma. Presently train/teach bjj as my main hobby. So freakin pumped to hear you starting training, Kontra. It's the coolest thing in the world.

Oh, BGC, speaking of Rodtang. How did you think DJ did in his mixed rules bout with him in One?

Yoooooo hahahaa I can't believe I just found this thread! Two of my favorite posters talking my favorite sport!

Aljo and Dillashaw is a banger. Dillashaw's kali-style footwork can result in unwanted leg exposure for Aljo to enter on the single but outside of Cejudo TJ is probably the best defensive wrestler at 35.
Super intrigued at the Bantam weight division. You got Suga and PY going at it an hour before AJO v Dilla. I think Dilla steps up to the moment. Win or Lose. He's such a competitor. I don't think the UFC would mind him calling out Suga if he wins but then you got Vera who deserves to be in that mix. So yea I'm really pumped to see this play out.

AJO has to be feeling the heat carrying the belt after his last fight so I'm expecting a good beef there.

I think AJO has to give his best performance to date bc will make everything hard on him and he already doesn't like taking chances.
Islam and Olivera is going to be great. We all know where the fight will be contested which skill on skill many could say is a wash. Tactically, though, Islam gets the nod. Islam is not going to expose his back, he's not going to give Olivera space, and barring a pure miracle he should pound out a decision victory.
I have to say I'm a little surprised to hear that he's that big a fav but he's an animal that's been waiting in Khabib's shadow for years. In Abu Dhabi!

Olivera is a pressure/pace monster but I think his only real chance is actually standing?? He's not a master of distance like Izzy or Connor so he has to be careful bc if Islam connects he can't just lay on his back.

Im not an expert by any means but I will say I believe Charles has favor when it comes to top control but Islam is just so freaking strong. It'll be interesting bc as brilliant as Charles is he can get a little lazy at times.

Southpaw is an another angle thats given him trouble too. I love this fight and card. It reminds me of the old stacked UFC cards. Some have disappointed lately but this was has so much potential.

A bunch of good fights on that on.
I think Nate might get KO'd. I know it's 5 RDS but Khamzat is an animal and understands the assignment here. Actually feel bad for Nate. In a just world he's fighting Connor in December.
"Location" Khabib is a different breed. So funny. So humble. Genuinely seems like a good dude.
Love boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, bjj, mma. Presently train/teach bjj as my main hobby. So freakin pumped to hear you starting training, Kontra. It's the coolest thing in the world.
Usyk is looking thick. Really hope he swamps AJ and we see him and Fury summer 2023.

Oh, BGC, speaking of Rodtang. How did you think DJ did in his mixed rules bout with him in One?
I love those fights man. Takes balls to make those fights. DJ is a goat. I'll watch those all day long. I think he had to submit him in that RD bc Rodtang is a ****kin animal. Two guys that are just different. Not just good at what they do. They're outstanding. Those Muay Thai guys are crazy. They'll fight like 500 times in 8 years if they can.

Last edited:

Thanks, dude. I’m still relatively new at it. Thought I was in really good shape until I started training. I had pain in muscles that I didn’t know existed.

It was between training BJJ or Muay Thai. I almost went with the latter since I have a boxing background anyway, but decided to train BJJ instead to compliment the boxing background and make me more well-rounded. How long have you been training? Any advice?

Super intrigued at the Bantam weight division. You got Suga and PY going at it an hour before AJO v Dilla. I think Dilla steps up to the moment. Win or Lose. He's such a competitor. I don't think the UFC would mind him calling out Suga if he wins but then you got Vera who deserves to be in that mix. So yea I'm really pumped to see this play out.
Absolutely. I think 35 is the deepest division in the sport right now. With Cejudo out you've got three or four dudes who all could beat eachother on any given night. I worry about TJ after that layoff and age catching up to him but he is so skilled I am unsure if it will make a big difference. I love Aljo but I think TJ is a bad matchup for him. Aljo needs back exposure to implement his game and Dillashaw won't allow that to happen. I see Yan kicking Suga's legs into mush but that reach is a problem at 35. Either way it will be a good test to see how he handles top-5 competition.
Im not an expert by any means but I will say I believe Charles has favor when it comes to top control but Islam is just so freaking strong. It'll be interesting bc as brilliant as Charles is he can get a little lazy at times.
So here's my read on this as a grappling nerd: Olivera is really good at playing two interconnected systems; front headlock and back. They chain together really well as front headlock if defended opens the back and vice versa. Having said that Olivera is constantly seeking the back in scrambles and he is the fastest person I have ever seen at taking it. Lethal when there too. I think he's around 70% finish rate from the back which is mental considering the level of competition and slipperiness. The pop on his punches really helps him get there too. He rocks guys then jumps on them and starts his sub game better than anyone I have ever seen. Catches stuff in transition a lot. Relentless sub hunter. Really a menace who can snatch something at any time. He's really good off of his back as well, albeit from closed guard. In the modern era closed guard is really hard to submit guys from. It's really good at making things slow and ugly but very hard to land a truly threatening attack from. To make a football analogy he's running a triple option as his run game in 2022. I mean it's one heck of a triple option. But it's still a triple option. Having said all of that, his weakest game from his back is what you need to beat the Dagestani system. And Islam will put him down. From there, really, Olivera has two options. 1) He can elect to remain on his back and eat shots while he attempts to posture break and get to a high guard from where he can enter his submission offense. Difficult against an average (well, for high level professional) MMA fighter. Near impossible against a Dagestani. 2) He can roll turtle and attempt to four-point his way to his feet. Which is the launchpad for the entire Dagestani offense. Those guys start drilling that system when they are three years old. The perfect balance, weight distribution, timing, and nuance is so engrained in their blood it is immediate victory conditions in my mind. They're gonna scoop a leg, pressure in, break the posture down, force the hand post, get to the Dagestani Handcuff, trap your arm, and allow you to chose between getting your face smeshed or exposure your back and open yourself to the RNC/Kimura systems they have. This looks like a clear victory for Islam to me. Having said that, who knows man. At that level the margin for error is so slim and Olivera is so scary because he can one shot you out of nowhere either with strikes or subs. Really lethal and scary cat.

I think Nate might get KO'd. I know it's 5 RDS but Khamzat is an animal and understands the assignment here. Actually feel bad for Nate. In a just world he's fighting Connor in December.
Yeah, one of those too tough for his own good deals. The only thing that ever took Diaz from his consciousness was a headkick from Josh Thompson back in Strikeforce. But...he's been hit in the head a lot. I can see him content to stay in closed guard and hunt a triangle for five rounds while getting his face turned into roadkill. Which will suck to watch. You're right, he should be fighting Conor. At the very least let the guy leave with some dignity and an even match.

I love those fights man. Takes balls to naked those fights. DJ is a goat. I'll watch those all day long. I think he had to submit him in that RD bc Rodtang is a ****kin animal. Two guys that are just different. Not just good at what they do. They're outstanding. Those Muay Thai guys are crazy. They'll fight like 500 times in 8 years if they can.
Hahaha yeah man! And from the time they're 8!

Thanks, dude. I’m still relatively new at it. Thought I was in really good shape until I started training. I had pain in muscles that I didn’t know existed.

It was between training BJJ or Muay Thai. I almost went with the latter since I have a boxing background anyway, but decided to train BJJ instead to compliment the boxing background and make me more well-rounded. How long have you been training? Any advice?
Hahaha yeah man the first year is rough on the body. Really weird movements and recruitment of stuff you don't normally use. I think that's a good call, bro. I've seen a lot of guys come for the Muay Thai, do a few jiu jitsu classes, then go full BJJ.

I'll be nine full years in November, save a few months here and there from injury. Really why I got so quiet on here all them years ago lol. I got obsessed with martial arts. It's done so much for me as a human being and I am still juuuuust feeling like I'm getting somewhere in understanding of it's true nature.

In terms of advice, just enjoy the process brother. It's a long, long, long journey and everyone is on their own one. If I were to go back and change what I did when I first started I would focus nearly exclusively on learning the fundamental movements of jiu jitsu. I spent like six months at late blue just drilling proper bridging mechanics every single day. Huge improvement to my game as a result. Understand the importance of inside position. Don't let anyone occupy your armpits. Get good at the cross face. You control a man better than anything with a strong one. Pins are dictated by the control of the head and hips. Wedge those to maintain them, break them apart to escape them.
Oh, and stay off YouTube!! :rofl:

oh....and emphasize takedowns early and often!

Well now ....

100% deserves a rematch bc Edwards was getting worked but Usman just got sent somewhere else. Sometimes you're not the same after that. He crumbled him. Just slumped standing up. Nice hands to set up that kick. Great set up.

Not bad for UFC though bc they needed a jolt. Interest and PPV #'s have been down for a year now. This definitely shakes up 170 & 185. Huge shake up.

Khmazat v Nate is next. Garbage card but could be foty if Nate makes it out RD 2.

Rumor has it Jon Jones will go in December. I had a feeling they would announce him or Connor or both soon.

Hats off to Luke & Aldo. Two warriors that would do well in any era.

Ruined my parlay

I was happy for Edwards until he started talking. No British person should ever speak out loud around other non-brits. Dude got lucky and was talking about the trenches. We'll see how long he defends the strap. Great win and mental toughness but let's be real. He got lucky.

Never stop moving. Level changes, head movement. Boxing, MMA, we the sport it always creeps up no matter how great you are and Usman is a top 10-15 all time UFC fighter.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back