PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMA / Boxing / Combat

I agree with your assessment of Luke, but he's still a talented grappler, and also has a significant size advantage.

Anyways, excellent breakdown of the matchup. I agree that the entry will be the key for Islam. His striking offense may be more pedestrian than Oliveira's, but his striking defense, head movement, and the timing of his TDs are all much more sound. He has a decided advantage over Charles in those areas. I think he'll have a relatively easy time getting takedowns because of this, and once he's on top, with that physical strength, heavy top pressure, and his overall level of grappling prowess, it won't matter how good your BJJ is.
For sure. To beat the Dagestanis in grappling you need to have an excellent leg lock system from inside position. Olivera has shown a willingness to enter the legs but he sets it up from k-guard when people stand to escape his closed guard. Which Islam won't do. He will be perfectly content to throw strikes inside Olivera's closed guard. Which, as a tangent, I have no idea why people still fear in the modern era. It's damn near impossible to submit people with even a few years of training with the basic triangle/armbar/omoplata chain you're taught in day one bjj.

It's so dope when the main event goes exactly as expected.

It's so dope when the main event goes exactly as expected.
Pretty good card overall.

Islam vs Volk is interesting. I actually think Volk is a tougher matchup for Islam than anyone at 155. But I'm still taking Islam in that one.

Last edited:
Pretty good card overall.

Islam vs Volk is interesting. I actually think Volk is a tougher matchup for Islam than anyone at 155. But I'm still taking Islam in that one.
I'd take your money again but you ran away like a broke bih after the Connor fight. You really couldn't afford 2k bro lol?

This fight has to happen and why boxing is such a mess. Fury doesn't want to fight anyone real after DW and it's a shame bc he's such a talent.

Most people have no idea how good Usyk really is. Uphill battle but Usyk deserves this and Fury has been in a real fight in years. This needs to happen.

I'd take your money. 2k bro lol?
I respect you too much to just take your money like that. If I wanted to do so, I would have bet you on the Islam vs Charles fight, which would have been an easy win for me.

If you really want to put your money on Volk against Islam, then I will oblige for any amount, but I strongly advise against it. These Dagestanis are on a different level.

Last edited:
I respect you too much to just take your money like that. If I wanted to do so, I would have bet you on the Islam vs Charles fight, which would have been an easy win for me.

If you really want to put your money on Volk against Islam, then I will oblige for any amount, but I strongly advise against it. These Dagestanis are on a different level.
Brother, location (sure) but you already lost and ran. And came back under a new name lol. I wouldn't bet dinglebucks without the 2K you owe.

I'd go go RD2 if you make good but that won't happen. Genuinely enjoying the trolling though. I'll never forget when you said Connor would beat Floyd in a ring :)

UFC had a somewhat down year with no ppv over 500K. That'll definitely change this year.

The cards are absolutely stacked, particularly in March!

Islam and Volk with Rodriguez and Emmett. Della can scrap.

Following week we get Chito and Cory which could be outstanding.

Couple weeks off then Jon Jones returns vs Gane! This card is filthy. Valentina vs Grasso! Hooker vs Turner. Neal vs Rachmonov. Nickell vs Pickett. Brunson Du Plessis. Garry vs Song. Couple other decent scraps for the undercard but man what a card.

March 11th, Following week we PETR YAN
VS
MERAB DVALISHVILI

ALEXANDER VOLKOV
VS
ALEXANDR ROMANOV

Sorry for caps I pulled straight from site I'm not spelling those names.

Very next week we get Usman vs Edwards 3!

Fiz and Gaethje undercard.

Week off, April 8th, then Izzy vs AP 4!!!

Burns vs Masvidal.
Holland vs Ponzinibbio
Rosas vs Christian Rodriguez
Font vs Yanez

Unbelievable. From March 4th to April 8th we're getting some big beefs.

Makhachev/Volk delivered.

Great battle. Volk is an animal for how he handled Islam's weight and control. I already watched it again and have a really hard time giving RD1 to Islam for a half round of control where Volk did more damage overall. Thats MMA though and they have to live with a 49-46 score which is as bad as any boxing travesty you'll see.

I'd be all for a rematch but it's not necessary imo. Volk showed he could beat IM all day. Islam was gassed and looked worse. Again it's MMA but some of these guys make it into a contest rather a fight. March 4th - April 8th is elite stuff with March Madness mixed in.
20230212_010536.jpg20230212_011321.png

20230212_191557.jpg20230212_191600.jpg

Last edited:
These Dagestanis are a different breed. Even the #1 p4p fighter, who I consider to be the greatest featherweight of all-time, and one of the best fighters of all-time period, regardless of weight class, couldn't defeat him. That's despite a very bad weight cut by Islam. (Well, former #1 p4p fighter, because now that is Islam.)

This is one of those situations where you know that if they fought 10 times, Islam would win each and every one of them. Similar to how Volk would beat Max Holloway 10/10 of times. Sometimes a fighter just has your number, no matter how elite you are.

Next up: coked up Jon Jones, the GOAT, wins the heavyweight title.

Last edited:
Well, I guess Leon Edwards' headkick wasn't a fluke after all. He was just better than Usman.

Don't worry @BaconGrundleCandy - Colby will handle Leon this summer and bring the title back to America where it belongs.

3-3

6th just ended

#team Loma

5 - 5

Loma winning 11

Loma should win the fight... Took it to Haney all night long

******** decision

Close fight but 116 112 is crazy. I thought Loma won but man these judges are crazy

Pavlov is a beast. Technique flaws but he's been walking through dudes. I would love this fight. And probably put a lil $ on a + Pavlov. His reach is a hair shy of Jones. This would be a war.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back