PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mitchell returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there's something to the trust thing. All our receivers routes require a decision by the receiver based on the defense. The receiver better make the same decision as Brady,or he's not getting passes. Of course, new receivers have to earn that trust, but Brady doesn't wait for guys to get open, he often throws to a spot assuming the receiver will break that way, not another. Miscommunication can mean interception.

I think every NFL offense has some form of this in their system- it is not unique to us. It just seems like it’s really hard for people to catch on to our system.
One of the things I wanted to see when Jimmy Garappolo got treated, was how soon would he be able to acclimate to a different system with different language, new receivers, etc. Dare I say- much less talented receivers, less talented coaching staff, and JG being much less experienced and not as good as TB12. It took only a couple weeks and it seems the acclamation process was without many issues in SF as they just hung 40 on one of the best defenses in the NFL last week. Dorsett has been here all year and if there are still communication or trust issues that are keeping him from succeeding, that either says he is that bad or our system is that complicated.

I think every NFL offense has some form of this in their system- it is not unique to us. It just seems like it’s really hard for people to catch on to our system.
One of the things I wanted to see when Jimmy Garappolo got treated, was how soon would he be able to acclimate to a different system with different language, new receivers, etc. Dare I say- much less talented receivers, less talented coaching staff, and JG being much less experienced and not as good as TB12. It took only a couple weeks and it seems the acclamation process was without many issues in SF as they just hung 40 on one of the best defenses in the NFL last week. Dorsett has been here all year and if there are still communication or trust issues that are keeping him from succeeding, that either says he is that bad or our system is that complicated.

The system is complicated, but I'd say Dorsett's issues center more around the former. He's a good blocker, but in the passing game he's really just a one-trick pony that doesn't run very crisp routes. He had the same issues coming out of UM.

I doubt it.

It's up to BB when players on IR practice.

Christ MM has been going to Twitter ever 15 minutes for the past 2 months saying he is getting closer....before Britt arrived.

Belichick has always brought in new players to push players already on the roster.

Could be a case where Mitchell was cleared by the med staff but he felt that he wasnt ready. Luck is going through something of this nature.

Still, Dorsett's catch rate is 69% for the season, and it's been 100% since the BYE. We have no idea about how Dorsett has performed in practices, of course, but actually catching what Brady throws his way doesn't appear to be an issue in games, at least.

As others have suggested ("inferred", "implied"), it seems Dorsett's lack of tgts is more related to him not being in precisely the right place at the right time with sufficient consistency to completely satisfy Brady (AND McDaniels).

That could involve one or more of ...
- not running routes with consistent precision (e.g., potentially an issue with Britt's route on the interception last week)
- not consistently reading the defense that same way that Brady does on a given play
- not consistently making the designed route adjustment when he does read the defense correctly

Since the BYE, while Hogan has been out, Dorsett's offensive snap percentages have been ...

70%
47%
61%
60%
0 - Hogan's was attempt to comeback in wk-14 @Mia (played 90%)
42% - Britt had 3.5%, Hollister had 5%
37% - Britt had 13%, Hollister jumped to 18%

I strongly doubt that Dorsett would have seen those high snap percentages over, say, Hollister, just to be a "placeholder" in 3WR sets. He had to be contributing something more than that.

Also, I strongly doubt that Dorsett's "reduced" snap percentages the past two games are any sort of decisive indication that he's "on his way out" since he did a bit more with his tgts than either Britt or Hollister did. Even Dwayne Allen did more with his opportunities than those two (3 of 3 tgts for 36 yards).

I think it's more likely the Pats trying out different combinations to determine what their best options are if Hogan's absence continues (which it may). And, I think that MM was brought back to practice to give them another option.
His route running is what has always been considered lacking with him.

Belichick has always brought in new players to push players already on the roster.

Could be a case where Mitchell was cleared by the med staff but he felt that he wasnt ready. Luck is going through something of this nature.

That and BB wanted to wait until the last possible moment before deciding on a player.

The system is complicated, but I'd say Dorsett's issues center more around the former. He's a good blocker, but in the passing game he's really just a one-trick pony that doesn't run very crisp routes. He had the same issues coming out of UM.

I've never understood how a guy would struggle running a precise route even when he wasn't knocked off stride by the defense, in a basic passing offense. In the Patriots sight adjustment offense, it makes more sense.

Still, for Dorsett to have just 13 targets all season seems ridiculously low.

I've never understood how a guy would struggle running a precise route even when he wasn't knocked off stride by the defense, in a basic passing offense. In the Patriots sight adjustment offense, it makes more sense.

Laziness maybe? That's sometimes what it boils down to. Re: the low targets, he runs many of the same routes that Cooks does. It could simply come down to a mixture of Cooks breaking open faster than Dorsett and Brady not having the trust in Dorsett to be where he needs him to be when he needs him to be there like he does with Cooks. It'll be interesting to see, should Hogan not return in time for the playoff run, if Dorsett's targets per game increase when the defense keys in on other receiving options and leaves Dorsett single covered.

Laziness maybe? That's sometimes what it boils down to. Re: the low targets, he runs many of the same routes that Cooks does. It could simply come down to a mixture of Cooks breaking open faster than Dorsett and Brady not having the trust in Dorsett to be where he needs him to be when he needs him to be there like he does with Cooks. It'll be interesting to see, should Hogan not return in time for the playoff run, if Dorsett's targets per game increase when the defense keys in on other receiving options and leaves Dorsett single covered.

That would be easier to buy if Cooks was actually getting open. That's not been happening as much in recent weeks. Maybe Brady's locking on his receivers more than in the past. I haven't looked into that, but it would explain some things, especially with this OLs struggles in pass protection...

Defenses are doubling Dorsett?

Defenses are doubling Dorsett?

Absolutely not. But the playoffs are a different animal. If Brady is, indeed, locking on to his receivers a bit more, it will be interesting to see if Dorsett gets more looks in the postseason.

99.9% we never officially found out what Hogans or Mitchells injuries where/are except for "shoulder" and "knee". Does anyone know anything more than that.

2 things that seem to happen Every Single Year around this time, and in the playoffs, one always talked about, one seemingly not talked about but noticed.,.

Pats ALWAYS seem to get players back fully healed for the playoffs, AND the dreaded FLU will be arriving soon which goes thru the locker room, and destroys so many players. WHY IS THIS? Why are the Patriots hit by the every single year. Can't Belichick stop the flu?

Probably giving everyone flu shots leading to many getting the flu.

I dunno. He’s still been practicing on a limited basis and we see him with his jersey on in the video posted from yesterday afternoon. I don’t think that signs like this scream “IR,” but you may be right.

As someone who’s currently in a sling 24/7 due to a broken shoulder, (proximal humerus fracture, as well as collarbone) I can say that today is my 5th week of recovery and I still can’t get dressed/undressed myself, but it has been slowly getting better each week, particularly the past couple of weeks. Considering the fact that Hogan didn’t even break his shoulder and has still missed 6/7 past games, I’d be surprised if he were suddenly IR’ed when he has 3 more weeks to go between games if you count from last Sunday. By the divisional round, he’ll have close to 10 weeks of rest and recovery. I think they would’ve IR’ed him a couple of weeks ago, maybe after the Miami game, but who knows? You could be right.

If we do end up losing Hogan for the postseason, I would consider that to be a huge blow, as I believe that he’s been a big reason as to why the wide receivers are struggling a bit over the past few games.

Get well soon.

I think it’s related to usage. He has 332 snaps so that’s about 5 full games and 2 1/2 targets per full game.
I don’t see where he is an early progression and unable to get open as much as I see him being fed complementary routes to draw coverage from the area they want to exploit.
It’s conceivable that as the 5th best option on the field almost all of the plays are designed with him as the 4th it 5th read. You could get open all day and never see the ball
If 1,2,3 ate getting open. I think that is part of the issue but I also think there are plays where the reads are covered and if he were doing a good job getting open he would see more than 13.
It would be a very interesting film study for anyone who had the time to view 332 plays.

Absolutely not. But the playoffs are a different animal. If Brady is, indeed, locking on to his receivers a bit more, it will be interesting to see if Dorsett gets more looks in the postseason.

I read something somewhere that said Dorsett ranks 140 out of 141 WR's based on snaps and routes ran. Let's not over do it Kontra.

Wow, I didn't realize how bad the miss on the long DPI was. Cooks was wide open immediately, yet Brady's throw was late, short and 5-10 yards too far inside.

I'd usually assume that the throw was "off" to generate the DPI, but there is minimal pressure and the primary read is open the whole way. There's no reason to do anything but take the free TD.
Yep. Tom missed on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick