PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Vrabel Being Considered for HC

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I was very pleased to hear just a minute ago on the radio that Mike Vrabel is making some short lists as a possible HC candidate around the league. A few teams have expressed interest. As far as I know, he is the ONLY player that BB said NEVER made a mistake or was out of place in his whole career with the Pats. Some hyperbole? Maybe. But from my layman's eyes, I'd be inclined to believe this is true. He just made plays and filled roles, including playing (and very well) on the inside when they briefly needed him to do it.

His feelings were really hurt when he was traded, and he didn't speak to Bill for years. They mended fences somewhere around the time (or shortly before) he became associated with the Texans. Interestingly, I was listening to Will Mac recently and he said Vrabel was the second dirtiest player on the team to Rodney, but I never recall hearing this at any point in his career. lol Anyway, congrats to another one of the guys that laid the foundation to what the organization has become and the success that we get to enjoy for 18 seasons now. Thank you, Mike. Good luck and I hope to see you patrolling someone's sideline soon.

Two of my favorite plays of his: His pressure on Warner that lead to Law's pick six and his TD in the Carolina SB. I know he scored one in the Philly SB, but I loved the one in Carolina.

Vrabel seems like a great guy and will be a very capable HC.

Why hire a guy who was only DC for a year? That seems wild to me...I think he can def he a great head coach but i think he needs more experience First. Has there been an inexperienced head coach that turned out great? Vance Joseph was a one year DC and was horrible.

Interestingly, I was listening to Will Mac recently and he said Vrabel was the second dirtiest player on the team to Rodney, but I never recall hearing this at any point in his career. lol

I remember driving in DC in the off week between the 2004 AFCC game and Super Bowl 39 when the local sports radio station had Brian Westbrook in for an interview. They asked Westbrook what happens at the bottom of a pile after a fumble, and he recalled a story from the 2003 Pats/Eagles game. According to Westbrook, he had recovered the fumble, then Vrabel grabbed him by the balls and twisted and squeezed until he gave the ball up.

It’s too soon for Vrabel to be a HC. It’s not that I don’t think he cannot be successful but I don’t think he has enough experience to deal with ownership, fans and the media.

Why hire a guy who was only DC for a year? That seems wild to me...I think he can def he a great head coach but i think he needs more experience First. Has there been an inexperienced head coach that turned out great? Vance Joseph was a one year DC and was horrible.

And it is not like the Texans actually had a good defense...

I was very pleased to hear just a minute ago on the radio that Mike Vrabel is making some short lists as a possible HC candidate around the league. A few teams have expressed interest. As far as I know, he is the ONLY player that BB said NEVER made a mistake or was out of place in his whole career with the Pats. Some hyperbole? Maybe. But from my layman's eyes, I'd be inclined to believe this is true. He just made plays and filled roles, including playing (and very well) on the inside when they briefly needed him to do it.

His feelings were really hurt when he was traded, and he didn't speak to Bill for years. They mended fences somewhere around the time (or shortly before) he became associated with the Texans. Interestingly, I was listening to Will Mac recently and he said Vrabel was the second dirtiest player on the team to Rodney, but I never recall hearing this at any point in his career. lol Anyway, congrats to another one of the guys that laid the foundation to what the organization has become and the success that we get to enjoy for 18 seasons now. Thank you, Mike. Good luck and I hope to see you patrolling someone's sideline soon.

Two of my favorite plays of his: His pressure on Warner that lead to Law's pick six and his TD in the Carolina SB. I know he scored one in the Philly SB, but I loved the one in Carolina.
When/where did you hear he didn’t speak to B.B.?
My understanding is the trade was doing vrabel a favor because he was being cut due to his high salary and by trading him he still got that paycheck.

It’s been pretty overrated, they have a lot of big names but even before their rash of injuries they didn’t play well.

Gave up the most points in the league and it was by a decent margin too. Think I saw they gave up 30 more points than the Browns who went 0-16.

I mean I get they had a few big injuries on defense and they were playing with backup QBs most of the year so that doesn't help the defense but still 30 more points than the Browns and I get some of those points probably include INT, fumble and ST returns but the defense was a major part of giving up those points

Gave up the most points in the league and it was by a decent margin too. Think I saw they gave up 30 more points than the Browns who went 0-16.

I mean I get they had a few big injuries on defense and they were playing with backup QBs most of the year so that doesn't help the defense but still 30 more points than the Browns and I get some of those points probably include INT, fumble and ST returns but the defense was a major part of giving up those points

I agree. I would say, when comparing the current active players, the Texans D has more talent than the Pats D. Yet, the Pats got much more out of their players.

First year DC working with someone else's groceries (except maybe Zach Cunningham). And Crennel is still there as "Assistant HC".

Lost Watt and Mercilus early. Offense turned the ball over 28 times.

Opponent's average drive start was from the 29.7 (Texans ST needs some work, which is kinda surprising with Izzo being the ST Coordinator since 2016).

What does Vrabel bring to the head coach table besides being a "presence"?
Way too soon for this guy

I agree, although Vance Joseph somehow got the Broncos head coaching job despite being a first year defensive coordinator for the Dolphins in 2016. Remember that vaunted Dolphins defense of 2016? 29th in yards allowed and 18th in PPG.

That BB Coaching tree have not been good when they come out from under his wings. Bob O'Brian the most overrated one.:confused: On Vrabel I think he could just wait for that Houston job.

That BB Coaching tree have not been good when they come out from under his wings. Bob O'Brian the most overrated one.:confused: On Vrabel I think he could just wait for that Houston job.

Seems like the bb general manger tree is producing more than the coaching tree!!!!

Absolutely love Vrabel, one of my favorite players ever - I've got two Vrabel jerseys... I think he can absolutely be a head coach at some point. But as others have said, I don't think it's really the right time yet. I think he needs a few more years of experience as a coordinator.

I think he’d be making a mistake if he jumps at the first HC opportunity. I think he’d be better off with more experience under his belt first while fine tuning his particular style. I do think that he will, eventually, make a good HC.

How about Bill O' Brien?

Belichick and Vrabel were not on good terms for awhile. Not sure if that's changed, but it wasn't good.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back