PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Onwenu

Tag is $13M this year which will be less than last year. Not sure if applying the Tag again will have an increase like prior years due to COVID. If not, BB will tag him as it's cheap.
FWIW, OverTheCap.com has projected franchise tag numbers for next season. The calculation is pretty complicated (it's based on the top five salaries over each of the past five years). You can see it here.

In most cases, the numbers have dropped; the only position that is expected to see a rise next year, ironically, is RB. OL in general should drop about $500,000. But as Miguel noted, the second time a player gets the franchise tag, they have to receive the greater of the tag amount for that year or 120% of their prior year salary.

Another interesting factoid is that the rank order of the tags will change a lot next year (">" means lower, but by less than $1M; ">>" means more than $1M lower).

2020: QB >> WR > DE >> CB > DT > LB >> OL >> S > TE > RB >> ST
2021: QB >> DE >> WR > LB > CB > OL > DT >> S > RB > TE >> ST

The OLine lineups don't make sense. Onwenu is one of our best players. Keep him at RT. It makes zero sense to have so much cap money tied up at two guard spots plus center to have Thuney, Mason, Onwenu all inside. a total waste. Also Herron is not good, Eleamunor is barely serviceable. So keep Onwenu outside. I don't see how both Mason and Thuney stay. Would rather pay JC Jackson.

FWIW, OverTheCap.com has projected franchise tag numbers for next season. The calculation is pretty complicated (it's based on the top five salaries over each of the past five years). You can see it here.

In most cases, the numbers have dropped; the only position that is expected to see a rise next year, ironically, is RB. OL in general should drop about $500,000. But as Miguel noted, the second time a player gets the franchise tag, they have to receive the greater of the tag amount for that year or 120% of their prior year salary.

Another interesting factoid is that the rank order of the tags will change a lot next year (">" means lower, but by less than $1M; ">>" means more than $1M lower).

2020: QB >> WR > DE >> CB > DT > LB >> OL >> S > TE > RB >> ST
2021: QB >> DE >> WR > LB > CB > OL > DT >> S > RB > TE >> ST
A better source for franchise tag projections is former agent Joel Corry.

Agent's Take: Dak Prescott tops 12 franchise tag candidates in 2021, plus each position's projected tag salary - CBSSports.com

I do not believe Bedard. BB is not tagging him for $18m for 2021. At 29 years old they will let him walk if he won't come to terms

The franchise tag for a guard next year is projected at $13.25M, but I am not sure what that means with Thuney since we already tagged him in 2020. If it was 20% higher than last year or this coming year, than the tag # would be between $15.8M and $18M. At $13M BB might tag Thuney, at $16M and up, I do not see it happening.

Saying that is any team going to give Thuney a huge contract with the Cap at $175M and he will be 29 next year?

The franchise tag for a guard next year is projected at $13.25M, but I am not sure what that means with Thuney since we already tagged him in 2020. If it was 20% higher than last year or this coming year, than the tag # would be between $15.8M and $18M. At $13M BB might tag Thuney, at $16M and up, I do not see it happening.

Saying that is any team going to give Thuney a huge contract with the Cap at $175M and he will be 29 next year?
Yea I don't know where the hell I saw $18m but based on what I just read the 2021 tag for OL will be ~$13m.

I dunno...I still think BB lets him walk and they use the $ on QB, D or on a TE like Hunter Henry

Yea I don't know where the hell I saw $18m but based on what I just read the 2021 tag for OL will be ~$13m.

I dunno...I still think BB lets him walk and they use the $ on QB, D or on a TE like Hunter Henry
i would be totally in
use the draft pick for thuney replacement since some O-Line rookies seem to be able to start right away (with exceptions) and sign a vet playmaker for the new QB
Also the O-Line scouting seems ahead of the TE scouting

i would be totally in
use the draft pick for thuney replacement since some O-Line rookies seem to be able to start right away (with exceptions) and sign a vet playmaker for the new QB
Also the O-Line scouting seems ahead of the TE scouting
Reports were Bill sought out Henry after the Chargers game and yuked it up.

Reports were Bill sought out Henry after the Chargers game and yuked it up.
hopefully...Henry probably said to Bill sth like if you get a new qb next season i will join you guys

Reminder - A second franchise tag in 2021 will be 120% of Thuney's 2020 cap number of $14.781M. $14.781M times 1.2 = $17.737M

Sources: CBA and Agent's Take: Dak Prescott tops 12 franchise tag candidates in 2021, plus each position's projected tag salary - CBSSports.com

Thanks Miguel. Seems odd that the franchise tag $s went down, but Thuney's tag is based on older $s established before the CV-19 readjustment. I understand that is the language as of today, but if the cap # is still to be negotiated and finalized, I would think that anomaly will be corrected when the new cap negotiations are completed. We will see.

Do you think this guy plays guard or tackle over the next years? Doesn't it make sense to set his position in stone as they sure require different training..

He also played Center for a few games and played really well. In fact, I'd say when he was pairing up with Mason and Owenu in the interior, our running game was better than it was at any time of the year.
I believe 24Law was referring to Onwenu, not Thuney...?

After watching our line closely the past few weeks, I agree with this. The interior of our line with Owenu/Thuney/Mason would be sick...If Wynn can stay healthy, he is an All Pro Caliber Tackle. The only question mark is the RT position and I would see how the completion between Herron and Eleumenor plays out. With that line though, it has the potential to be one of the top 2 or 3 lines in the league.
So, all we need to do is franchise or re-sign Thuney, Andrews, Eluemunor. We would still need backups. Perhaps, Cannon is one. I guess Ferentz could be re-signed.

I agree that this would be great OL.

Are really playing one of the best OG's in the NFL $17M a year to play center or is Andrews to be re-signed, as I first thought?

As @Miguel pointed out, if the Patriots were to Tag Thuney again, it would be a 20% increase over his 2020 amount. The league TAG numbers only apply to players who weren't tagged the prior year. So Thuney's tag number would be 120% of the 14.781M he counts for this year. So he'd be at 17.732M.

If you don't know who @Miguel is, he had been the Pats Fan Cap Savant for the past 20 years...The only people who know more about the cap are the ones working for teams..

So, all we need to do is franchise or re-sign Thuney, Andrews, Eluemunor. We would still need backups. Perhaps, Cannon is one. I guess Ferentz could be re-signed.

I agree that this would be great OL.

Are really playing one of the best OG's in the NFL $17M a year to play center or is Andrews to be re-signed, as I first thought?

Why would we need to re-sign ALL 3?? Eleumenor isn't likely to be re-signed because Herron is a better player than him and is likely going to be the starter at RT next season.

Why do you assume that Thuney is going to cost $17M for next year? And why is it that you seem to downplay the importance of upgrading the center position while keeping the LG position at the same level of talent?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back