PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Lombardi says Peyton Manning had 3rd neck surgery today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Manning's neck, it has sustained that giant forehead too long no wonder it is falling apart.

They are an above average group of 10 guys that are not the QB.
An average QB would do above average with them.
Its ludicrous when people suggest that the Colts couldn't complete a pass if Manning wasnt gyrating pointlessly before the snap.
There is one very easy gauge. Manning has thrown to more wide opren receivers than any QB I have ever seen. That is about the receivers, the system and the protection, not the QB. Of course he is excellent, but giving him sole credit for everything that team does is silly.

Spot on. Wayne and Clark aren't a bunch of scrubs that only peyton can make good. And I don't think Peyton has much effect on freeney and Mathis two of the best in the business. Nobody can take a team completey filled with scrubs to the super bowl.

He might decide to get a double major and take more classes, he might even decide NOT to go to the NFL. That might be unthinkable to us but it's certainly a possibility.

he might also grow a horn and turn into a unicorn, or actually be a crime fighting superhero in disguise. you are really dumb

Could this be why he was throwing all those picks last year? I hear the nerve in question affects his ability to control his arm.

Could this be why he was throwing all those picks last year? I hear the nerve in question affects his ability to control his arm.

then there must be something wrong with brees' neck as well

Its ludicrous when people suggest that the Colts couldn't complete a pass if Manning wasnt gyrating pointlessly before the snap.
There is one very easy gauge. Manning has thrown to more wide opren receivers than any QB I have ever seen. That is about the receivers, the system and the protection, not the QB. Of course he is excellent, but giving him sole credit for everything that team does is silly.

I don't believe they are an above average group of 10 guys...and they never were, although in the past more focus was placed on the offensive side of the ball. And Manning has done well above average with them. I never said they couldn't complete a pass without him, although with the backups Polian employed over the last several seasons that was about all they could do. It's not a very complex offense, although it is demanding in it's precision timing. Wide open receivers are often that because of pre snap reads. Those were Manning's forte. I didn't give him sole credit, just the lions share for the kind of offensive production the entire roster was predicated on... No average QB is going to be capable of generating that.

Spot on. Wayne and Clark aren't a bunch of scrubs that only peyton can make good. And I don't think Peyton has much effect on freeney and Mathis two of the best in the business. Nobody can take a team completey filled with scrubs to the super bowl.

They are not a team completely filled with scrubs. They are a top heavy roster that paid a premium for select talent at the expense of veteran quality depth and relied on drafting consistently well enough to backfill a lot of gaps - although in recent years they have not. Manning was paid what he was in part to allow for talent gaps by maximizing existing talent. Absent him even that talent won't be maximized and those gaps will become glaring.

I mean you could tell that he was not himself during some stretch of games last season. Not trying to make excuses for him. He is a hell of a competitor and I bet BB will be very disappointed that he will not face his adversary this year.

He is a hell of a competitor and I bet BB will be very disappointed that he will not face his adversary this year.

Why? I bet Bill NaPolian wasn't very disappointed to face us without Brady in 2008,
so why should Bill Belichick be disappointed to face NaPolian's Clots without The Forehead in 2011?
I sure as hell won't be disappointed if that's the case.

Why? I bet Bill NaPolian wasn't very disappointed to face us without Brady in 2008,
so why should Bill Belichick be disappointed to face NaPolian's Clots without The Forehead in 2011?
I sure as hell won't be disappointed if that's the case.

Well BB has coached for a long time and I doubt he has met anybody more tougher than Manning for this stretch of time. Ask the players and they will tell you that when it is Colts week, BB because a different man. Just speculation on my part, but I really think BB enjoys close games more than blowouts.

The receivers are above average. Their RBs suck. Their offensive line is mediocre. Wayne, Clark, and Collie are the only players on the Colts' offense I would even consider adding to the Patriots.

Manning's quick release covered how horrible his o-line was last year. An average QB is going to look below average with that line. Costanzo might turn into a stud, but it is too early to tell. But what good is having Wayne or Clark if you have QB who can't release the QB fast enough to avoid the pressure like Manning does?

The offense isn't all Manning, but Manning covers for their two biggest weaknesses - a miserable o-line and running game. An average QB cannot cover for those deficiencies.

Last edited:
I don't believe they are an above average group of 10 guys...and they never were, although in the past more focus was placed on the offensive side of the ball. And Manning has done well above average with them. I never said they couldn't complete a pass without him, although with the backups Polian employed over the last several seasons that was about all they could do. It's not a very complex offense, although it is demanding in it's precision timing. Wide open receivers are often that because of pre snap reads. Those were Manning's forte. I didn't give him sole credit, just the lions share for the kind of offensive production the entire roster was predicated on... No average QB is going to be capable of generating that.
Wide open revceiver are because of play calls. Just because Manning gesticulates at the line doesnt mean he is audiblizing more than any other QB. Dont be sucked in by the hype.
The QB does not get players wide open, the play calls and receivers do. The QB does not make himself untouched by the pass rush, the OL does.
Harrison, Wayne, Clark, James, Faulk, Addai, Stokely and an OL than never let him get touched are not a collection of below average players.
You are arguing that Manning never had good weapons? What world are you living in. That is ludicrous.
An average QB would do better than average with better than average talent. Manning did more than 'better than average'. Lets not sit here and reacreate history by saying his supporting cast sucked and he singlehandedly made them look good based on some illconceived idea that flapping his arms at the los is what gets receivers open.

Yeah, I heard Brees was on the waiting list for a Bolt Transplant and that Peyton Manning is a perfect match. Peyton Manning is so brave and compassionate for donating one of his Neck Bolts to a fellow pain in our collective *****. Both frankenberries are in our thoughts and prayers.

he might also grow a horn and turn into a unicorn, or actually be a crime fighting superhero in disguise. you are really dumb

Go to hell. For the Colts to rely on Luck would be almost as stupid as your post.

This isn't worth much, but passing on just for the entertainment value:

on Twitter, @NFLDraftMonster is reporting an unconfirmed rumor that the Colts have inquired about the price tag on Ryan Mallett.

This isn't worth much, but passing on just for the entertainment value:

on Twitter, @NFLDraftMonster is reporting an unconfirmed rumor that the Colts have inquired about the price tag on Ryan Mallett.
In a hypothetical world (i.e my head) the Colts can start by offering their first round pick in the 2012 draft. ;)

“He’s such a competitor,” Brady told Karen Guregian of the Herald. ”He’s such a tough guy. It sucks not seeing him out there. Hopefully he gets well soon. He’s a huge reason for why the NFL, why people follow it so closely. I think we as competitors, whenever you play great teams, you always want to play them with their best players. He’s been a great one for a long time.”

nice words from brady

nice words from brady

And he means them. I heard he was sick when he heard Manning had been ruled out for week 1 because he knew that meant things were a lot worse than that... Players are a lot friendlier these days because of FA and all the cross marketing deals they do. But QB's are even tighter, it's a fraternity made up of maybe a dozen so called elite guys who share an immense burden (often even including the way their private lives are scrutinized by fans and media).

I recall hearing Manning was pretty shaken when he heard about Brady's injury in 2008. It's a there but for the grace of god bond shared by a pretty small group of guys in any era...none of whom want to get knocked out of the game well before they are ready to walk away on their own terms.

And he means them. I heard he was sick when he heard Manning had been ruled out for week 1 because he knew that meant things were a lot worse than that... Players are a lot friendlier these days because of FA and all the cross marketing deals they do. But QB's are even tighter, it's a fraternity made up of maybe a dozen so called elite guys who share an immense burden (often even including the way their private lives are scrutinized by fans and media).

I recall hearing Manning was pretty shaken when he heard about Brady's injury in 2008. It's a there but for the grace of god bond shared by a pretty small group of guys in any era...none of whom want to get knocked out of the game well before they are ready to walk away on their own terms.

i always got the sense that brady was a good person, i think peyton is too, i think most of your big name qbs are usually good people

unlike wrs and rbs lol

People are overreacting to the news that Manning is out for an extended period of time. Sure the offense might drop off a little but Collins is better than a lot of starters in this league. He's also surrounded by A LOT of offensive talent. The Colts performance is not going to be determined by the offense but the defense. They'll win more than 4 games.

Yeah...right.;) Appears it will be a team effort with all three facets of the game contributing to an overall suckitude...

They will struggle to win more than 4 games, but the really bad news for Colt fans is they probably won't be the only team to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST