PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Lombardi says Peyton Manning had 3rd neck surgery today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for finding that Rob. That has to be the most disastrously NON-prescient column ever! Wonder if Kravitz ever admits and does a mea culpa.

Mea culpa? Not hardly! This came up in an earlier thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...collins-out-retirement-page5.html#post2648652

Kravitz Foresight, in May:
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when the Colts should begin looking for Manning’s replacement, but I know this much: not now and not for another year or three.

Kravitz Hindsight, in August:
The Colts continue to play with fire with their backup quarterback spot....If Manning does go down, and the Colts are stuck with their current pair, I retain the right to say, 'I told you so.'"

Sadly if Manning misses the year and the Colts get the first pick int he draft, Luck is sitting there if Manning's neck condition is more serious than we know and he can't ever come back.

Luck has said that he wants his degree, why do people think he's coming out in 2012?

Luck has said that he wants his degree, why do people think he's coming out in 2012?

Not to mention people put way too much stock in prospects, especially at the QB position...

Andrew Luck:

“I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012.”

that was two seasons ago....GB/Pitt was last year

GB/Pitt was this year but w/e colts-saints played in the super bowl in 2010 witch was just a little over a year and a half ago. All I'm saying is it's not farfetched to say the colts could make it back considering it wasn't very long ago and they have basically the same team. And I don't think we need to worry about the colts getting luck imo. There's noway a team with that much talent doesn't win at very least 5-6 games.

Last edited:
Andrew Luck:

“I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012.”

He might decide to get a double major and take more classes, he might even decide NOT to go to the NFL. That might be unthinkable to us but it's certainly a possibility.

At first I felt bad that he may be out a while. Overall having Manning is better for the NFL. If Manning is not there when the Pats play the Colts the interest factor drops from a 10 to about a 3.

Then I went on a colts message board as a lurker. People there were bashing pats fans and one guys had an icon:
image.php

So yeah I lost all sympathy for the colts and their fans quickly. I wish no ill will against Manning and I hope he recovers and plays again. However I am very happy that colts fans are upset and that they are likely in for a lousy season.

Colossal blunder signing him to a big contract with a big SB with this in the offing. Did they not know about this?

He's made plenty of money, you don't crush yourself with a $20M cap hit when he has to retire because of this. They should have made him wait a year to see if he's healthy and then re-sign him...it's a business.

Last edited:
Mea culpa? Not hardly! This came up in an earlier thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...collins-out-retirement-page5.html#post2648652

Kravitz Foresight, in May:

Kravitz Hindsight, in August:

I find Kravitz to be a lightweight that is a little too full of himself, but the statements you reference can be reconciled. Having a viable backup to Manning and acquiring a replacement for Manning are two distinctly different animals. I have no idea if Kravitz previously warned about the Painter situation or if he is pulling it from his posterior now.

imagine this scenario. the Colts are the worst team in the league and they draft Andrew Luck. the Colts let Peyton go to avoid paying his contract. Peyton gets signed by the Dolphins.

how bad would your head explode?

I find Kravitz to be a lightweight that is a little too full of himself, but the statements you reference can be reconciled. Having a viable backup to Manning and acquiring a replacement for Manning are two distinctly different animals. I have no idea if Kravitz previously warned about the Painter situation or if he is pulling it from his posterior now.

Could be or he could have went to the same journalism school as Borges where your always right because you write two different opinions.

imagine this scenario. the Colts are the worst team in the league and they draft Andrew Luck. the Colts let Peyton go to avoid paying his contract. Peyton gets signed by the Dolphins.

It would be a chilly day in hell before the Colts let Peyton walk. Who knows? Crazier things have happened in the past. I don't see it happening though.

Decent being the operative word...by your own admission. Manning made them all look better than decent in stretches.
They are an above average group of 10 guys that are not the QB.
An average QB would do above average with them.
Its ludicrous when people suggest that the Colts couldn't complete a pass if Manning wasnt gyrating pointlessly before the snap.
There is one very easy gauge. Manning has thrown to more wide opren receivers than any QB I have ever seen. That is about the receivers, the system and the protection, not the QB. Of course he is excellent, but giving him sole credit for everything that team does is silly.

He will have something like a 28mill bonus due in February. Depending upon his health, its no certainty the Colts will pick that up. If they void the deal to get him to sign one that covers them if he doesnt recover quickly, I can see him telling them to F off.

He will have something like a 28mill bonus due in February. Depending upon his health, its no certainty the Colts will pick that up. If they void the deal to get him to sign one that covers them if he doesnt recover quickly, I can see him telling them to F off.

Gonna be interesting to watch, both the recovery and maybe the contract situation. Like I said in the other thread: It was just last year in pre-season that the talk was how Brady is breaking down while Manning will go on forever, and the Pats-Brady contract situation was tenuous while Manning-Colts was lubby dubby. The contract sitch in Indy is good for now, but there might be complications ahead.

This has nothing to do with hating. It has to do with your irrational assessment of the Colts existing talent absent Manning. Addai is not the player they drafted him to be. Brown isn't either. They have collected as many additional options as they can as a result, including adding a JAG FB at the 11th hour to a roster that was not constructed to run to pass. Their OL is a mess, in part because Polian has miscalculated and then whiffed on replacements for his once above average starters. Saturday is surrounded by a RT playing LG for the first time in his ten year career, a raw rookie LT, and two jags manning the right side of the line (with the rookie selected to play there not impressing in camp). Clark and Wayne are arguably still top ten at their positions playing with the only QB they have ever known... The youngsters are a mixed bag, talented but inconsistent and injury prone - and all they have ever known is Manning. Can they all adapt to Collins or visa versa and can the OL even keep him upright or open enough holes to allow for a running game to take at least some of the pressure off him? On the fly with 2 weeks to adapt before facing live fire?? With a coaching staff now devoid of most of the talent that built it into a contender?

It's not hate, it's reality. Their best shot is actually to steal a couple of wins early before opponents have film on whatever this offense attempts to morph into. Either way the grind will eventually catch up to them. They are fortunate to play in a poorly coached/managed division, so they aren't a slam dunk to finish last and enter the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes. But they could. Best case scenario is they can pull off 5-6 wins because of who they face not who they are. They weren't a slam dunk to retain the division even with Manning under center this season although he clearly elevated them to project to double digit wins in a division full of often talented but maddeningly inconsistent wannabes but playing a schedule liberally sprinkled with legitimate conference rivals.
Irrational. Irrational because I don't agree with you that the Colts have some very good players on offense? Rightio chum.

Dream scenario would be the Colts do just well enough, maybe like 2-4 before Manning returns (if he returns). He goes 5-3 or something, 1 of the loses to us, and they barely miss out on the playoffs so they wind up with the 18th or 19th pick.... nothing too high. And the final 3 weeks he has beastly stats so that I win my fantasy league.

Dream scenario would be the Colts do just well enough, maybe like 2-4 before Manning returns (if he returns). He goes 5-3 or something, 1 of the loses to us, and they barely miss out on the playoffs so they wind up with the 18th or 19th pick.... nothing too high. And the final 3 weeks he has beastly stats so that I win my fantasy league.

I wouldn't bank on that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference