PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Lombardi says Peyton Manning had 3rd neck surgery today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont you have to wait 1 year before trading a drafted player?

Yeah...right.;) Appears it will be a team effort with all three facets of the game contributing to an overall suckitude...

They will struggle to win more than 4 games, but the really bad news for Colt fans is they probably won't be the only team to...
Are you stupid enough to believe that the Colts would have performed better than what they did today?

Are you stupid enough to believe that the Colts would have performed better than what they did today?

A better question would be are you really stupid enough to believe they would not have because the talent you claimed that had is essentially the same as it was last season... Manning scares the bejesus out of defenses. That changes the way they play. Manning runs the offense efficiently, which changes the way they play. His defense is built to defend a lead or keep opponents within striking distance...

You're the knucklehead who called me a hater for pointing out the fact that this team was built to play behind a HOF QB and lacked sufficient talent to play behind an aging JAG (you also touted...).

A better question would be are you really stupid enough to believe they would not have because the talent you claimed that had is essentially the same as it was last season... Manning scares the bejesus out of defenses. That changes the way they play. Manning runs the offense efficiently, which changes the way they play. His defense is built to defend a lead or keep opponents within striking distance...

You're the knucklehead who called me a hater for pointing out the fact that this team was built to play behind a HOF QB and lacked sufficient talent to play behind an aging JAG (you also touted...).
Listen here princess. The Colts are stacked with offensive talent however replacing the key cog in that offense with a retiree who has had less than 3 weeks to learn the offense is going to result in a performance like today, especially against a division rival away from home tipped to improve. In 6 weeks time if they are dysfunctional, then you can trumpet your own horn.

Your stupidity in not accepting that is your own issue.

Last edited:
Listen here princess. The Colts are stacked with offensive talent however replacing the key cog in that offense with a retiree who has had less than 3 weeks to learn the offense is going to result in a performance like today, especially against a division rival away from home tipped to improve. In 6 weeks time if they are dysfunctional, then you can trumpet your own horn.

Oh, so now at least Manning is a key cog... The Colts aren't stacked with talent, period. they have a handful of players on offense and defense who are above average talents. Manning makes them look way above average much of the time. Collins can't do that, and it's debatable he'll even still be standing and in one piece in 6 weeks... They weren't built to operate absent a talent like Manning under center and running that timing offense and basically calling the shots.

Manning is the hub of that wheel. Absent it the cogs fall apart. Even the defense feels the effect when that happens because their wheel was only designed to keep teams close enough for Manning to close on or to defend a substantial lead once he built one.

Oh, so now at least Manning is a key cog... The Colts aren't stacked with talent, period. they have a handful of players on offense and defense who are above average talents. Manning makes them look way above average much of the time. Collins can't do that, and it's debatable he'll even still be standing and in one piece in 6 weeks... They weren't built to operate absent a talent like Manning under center and running that timing offense and basically calling the shots.

Manning is the hub of that wheel. Absent it the cogs fall apart. Even the defense feels the effect when that happens because their wheel was only designed to keep teams close enough for Manning to close on or to defend a substantial lead once he built one.

I never said Manning wasn't a key cog and the critical part of the offense. I said the Colts have a collection of offensive talent. Only an idiot doesn't realize the importance of Manning to the Colts and expects Collins to pick up the offense in less than 3 weeks. I didn't expect them to beat the Texans and I expect it will take the Colts a small measure of time to find their groove.

You're blatantly inventing mistruths now.

Last edited:
So I have to wonder how the Colts forum reacted when Brady was out for the season but their search is horrible. Does anyone happen to remember a thread on their forum about it?

Edit- Never mind, found it.

Last edited:

There was never a prohibition against it per se, but it was (and I suspect is—I haven't looked through the new CBA to see what changes were made) very difficult, because teams were only allotted a certain amount of cap room with which to sign drafted rookies. That number was dependent on the slots in which that team actually drafted rookies in the draft, and was NOT adjusted for trades (in other words, if you traded for a drafted rookie, you'd almost certainly have to cut one of your own).

Nevertheless, there were rumors at least one team made an offer for Myron Pryor his rookie season.

Peyton's brother Eli may be the most well known trade of a just-drafted player.

Eli-Manning-Chargers.jpg

At the time the Chargers were not a very good team (it had been nine years since they had a winning record), and between Eli, Archie Manning and their agent Tom Condon they tried to hold San Diego hostage by demanding that the organization not draft him, and if they did he would not play there. Shortly after he was drafted the Chargers traded him to the Giants for just-drafted Philip Rivers, plus two other picks; those turned out to be Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding.

Obviously the Chargers got the better of that trade. Ironically, despite the Manning's looking down at the San Diego organization as not being good enough for them, since then the Chargers have had more overall success: their record is 76-36, almost two wins per season better than the Giants (65-47); more playoff appearances (5 to 4); more division titles (5 to 2); and more winning seasons (6 to 4); though the Giants do of course have one more ring.

As ctpatsfan77 pointed out, this is unusual due to cap restrictions; if teams are going to trade draft picks then it makes more sense to do that before making the selection, not afterwards.

Last edited:
Colts are a different team without Manning. But wow, i didn't expect that performance.

We felt that pain when Brady went down a few years ago. Colts could have a long year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST