PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Griffin or Jeff Samardzija

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is your new avatar. You can photoshop it to change the colors to maize and blue.

pimp%20hat.jpg

What the hell? Are you stalking me now? Where'd you find my picture?

Creep. :D

Yes. Linebackers.
How about the scoop on David Harris aside from this analysis:

Name: David Harris
College: Michigan Number: 45
Height: 6-2 Weight: 242
Position: ILB Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.75 40 Low: 4.73 40 High: 4.78
Projected Round: 2 Stock:
Rated number 3 out of 91 ILB's 52 / 2335 TOTAL

Overview

Once Harris was inserted into the starting lineup, the defense improved and Harris' draft stock subsequently has risen. The powerful 6-2, 240-pound inside linebacker plays the position as it was meant to be played. The leading tackler for the Wolverines this season with 85 stops (Prescott Burgess, in second place, has 44 tackles), Harris earned Second Team All-American honors and is quietly moving up the draft board ahead of some of the biggest names in college football.

A veteran of 31 games, including 22 consecutive starts, Harris accumulated 185 career tackles, including 21 tackles for loss, 4.0 sacks, a fumble recovery and an interception. He isn't as flashy as some of the other middle linebackers in this draft, but scouts like his physicality, toughness, and consistency.

Analysis

Positives: Thick, powerful frame. Legitimate 6-2, 240-pounder with good overall muscle definition. Good read-and-react skills. Rarely takes a misstep and is athletic enough to get to the edge to meet the ball carrier. Might be at his best as an interior run stuffer. Has improved his hand usage throughout his career and plays a physical, blue collar brand of football. Isn't afraid to take on and discard blockers at the point of attack. Is a reliable tackler, able to generate good power in close quarters, yet also able to break down and make the tackle in the open field. Used as a pass rusher more this season and registered a career high 4.0 sacks. Instinctive and surprisingly athletic in man coverage, especially for a player of his size.

Negatives: Surrounded by a great deal of talent at Michigan, including arguably the best defensive tackle in the country in Alan Branch, whose primary job is to keep blockers off Harris. With Harris, what you see is what you get. He isn't an elite athlete and thus lacks the upside some teams might be looking for. Another potential red flag is Harris struggled with durability early in his career. Over the 2003 and 2004 seasons he missed 16 games due to separate knee injuries.

How about the scoop on David Harris aside from this analysis:

Name: David Harris
College: Michigan Number: 45
Height: 6-2 Weight: 242
Position: ILB Pos2:
40 Time: 4.75 40 Low: 4.73 40 High: 4.78
Projected Round: 2 Stock:
Rated number 3 out of 91 ILB's 52 / 2335 TOTAL

Overview

Once Harris was inserted into the starting lineup, the defense improved and Harris' draft stock subsequently has risen. The powerful 6-2, 240-pound inside linebacker plays the position as it was meant to be played. The leading tackler for the Wolverines this season with 85 stops (Prescott Burgess, in second place, has 44 tackles), Harris earned Second Team All-American honors and is quietly moving up the draft board ahead of some of the biggest names in college football.

A veteran of 31 games, including 22 consecutive starts, Harris accumulated 185 career tackles, including 21 tackles for loss, 4.0 sacks, a fumble recovery and an interception. He isn't as flashy as some of the other middle linebackers in this draft, but scouts like his physicality, toughness, and consistency.

Analysis

Positives: Thick, powerful frame. Legitimate 6-2, 240-pounder with good overall muscle definition. Good read-and-react skills. Rarely takes a misstep and is athletic enough to get to the edge to meet the ball carrier. Might be at his best as an interior run stuffer. Has improved his hand usage throughout his career and plays a physical, blue collar brand of football. Isn't afraid to take on and discard blockers at the point of attack. Is a reliable tackler, able to generate good power in close quarters, yet also able to break down and make the tackle in the open field. Used as a pass rusher more this season and registered a career high 4.0 sacks. Instinctive and surprisingly athletic in man coverage, especially for a player of his size.

Negatives: Surrounded by a great deal of talent at Michigan, including arguably the best defensive tackle in the country in Alan Branch, whose primary job is to keep blockers off Harris. With Harris, what you see is what you get. He isn't an elite athlete and thus lacks the upside some teams might be looking for. Another potential red flag is Harris struggled with durability early in his career. Over the 2003 and 2004 seasons he missed 16 games due to separate knee injuries.

Sure.

David Harris was more of a pleasant surprise than a guy who was counted on to be an impact player from the start of his career. He's been absolutely amazing the past two years, earning a starting spot, and becoming one of the nation's best linebackers despite what everyone considered to be limited abilities. David literally was all over the place, providing versatility for us from the MAC position. He can rush the passer, plays very well in coverage, and has a nose for being in the right spot at the right time. He was our most consistent defender, and really is a ball hawk. I would have concerns over his ability to get even better. Has he peaked? He certainly has the desire, and the body, so I think he'll be able to succeed in the NFL for sure. But, I think being able to get a Woodley at the end of round one to play outside would be more ideal. LaMarr is a unique talent with tremendous upside and growth room. I think Harris will be a good NFL MAC, but LaMarr could be great.

Sure. But, I think being able to get a Woodley at the end of round one to play outside would be more ideal. LaMarr is a unique talent with tremendous upside and growth room. I think Harris will be a good NFL MAC, but LaMarr could be great.
As noted by NFL Draft Scout, David Harris is rated a second round draft pick. Thus, David Harris could be available to the New England Patriots at the end of the second round.

Any thoughts on whether Prescott Burgess could play inside in a 3-4 defense?

Name: Prescott Burgess
College: Michigan Number: 6
Height: 6-3 Weight: 245
Position: OLB Pos2:
40 Time: 4.74 40 Low: 4.72 40 High: 4.78
Projected Round: 3-4 Stock:
Rated number 7 out of 217 OLB's 109 / 2335 TOTAL

Now that he has chosen Baseball, maybe the Pats shoudl make a Drew Hensinish tact, and draft him with one of our 7th round compensation pick.

As for inside linebackers, I just found a WEEI Big Show favorite for the New England Patriots in the 2007 NFL Draft:

Name: Zak DeOssie (+) Coming off Injury
College: Brown Number: 38
Height: 6-4 Weight: 245
Position: ILB Pos2: OLB/DE
40 Time: 4.62 40 Low: 4.55 40 High: 4.67
Projected Round: 5-6 Stock:
Rated number 9 out of 91 ILB's

Personal

Zachary Robert DeOssie, born May 24, 1984...Son of Steve and Dianna DeOssie...Father, Steve, played in the NFL with Dallas, the New York Giants, the New York Jets, and the Patriots...Has two sisters, Christina and Nichole...Enjoys skiing and hanging out with friends...A Public Policy concentrator.

As noted by NFL Draft Scout, David Harris is rated a second round draft pick. Thus, David Harris could be available to the New England Patriots at the end of the second round.

Any thoughts on whether Prescott Burgess could play inside in a 3-4 defense?

Name: Prescott Burgess
College: Michigan Number: 6
Height: 6-3 Weight: 245
Position: OLB Pos2:
40 Time: 4.74 40 Low: 4.72 40 High: 4.78
Projected Round: 3-4 Stock:
Rated number 7 out of 217 OLB's 109 / 2335 TOTAL

Prescott could be a good find. He was the #1 rated DB coming out of HS in 2002, but we converted him to LB, and he's been learning ever since. I love his athleticism, and he could be a sleeper. I'd see him fitting in better on the outside, because he's excellent in coverage. I'd probably put him high in the 4th round right now. He has a lot of talent, but has been streaky in performing.

Sure.

David Harris was more of a pleasant surprise than a guy who was counted on to be an impact player from the start of his career. He's been absolutely amazing the past two years, earning a starting spot, and becoming one of the nation's best linebackers despite what everyone considered to be limited abilities. David literally was all over the place, providing versatility for us from the MAC position. He can rush the passer, plays very well in coverage, and has a nose for being in the right spot at the right time. He was our most consistent defender, and really is a ball hawk. I would have concerns over his ability to get even better. Has he peaked? He certainly has the desire, and the body, so I think he'll be able to succeed in the NFL for sure. But, I think being able to get a Woodley at the end of round one to play outside would be more ideal. LaMarr is a unique talent with tremendous upside and growth room. I think Harris will be a good NFL MAC, but LaMarr could be great.

what round do you think he'll(Harris) go in?

Uh Dave, you do know some of us spend months trying to figure out WHO we'll draft. Care to elaborate? Please...:) :cool:

Well, it's not a surprise. He's projected anywhere from the 15th pick on, so the Pats were just one of the teams he mentioned. No earth shattering news, unfortunately, from me. He said they sound like a good fit. Granted, I didn't ask about any other teams. I told him he needs to tear up the interview with them. I don't know if it was contact from the team or if agents were giving him that info. I plan on asking him more as the draft approaches.

I'm just hoping to print a Pats version of my LaMarr shirt.

EDIT: Never mind, link already been posted.

Last edited:
Samardzija is basically Joe Jurevicious with more hype. Nothing to see.

I don't know if it was contact from the team or if agents were giving him that info. I plan on asking him more as the draft approaches.

I'm just hoping to print a Pats version of my LaMarr shirt.

Thanks Dave -- I hear you. Thought maybe it was a scout giving him extra attention (been known to happen). And of course he'll be in the Pats range (unless he skyrockets from the workouts).

Harris -- strong vs the run...weaker in pass coverage...may not shed blocks too well. Does this seem accurate?

Who are these people?

Samardzija just signed a 10 million dollar deal with the Cubs (baseball) so he is not going to be in the NFL draft.

News Story

Samardzija just signed a 10 million dollar deal with the Cubs (baseball) so he is not going to be in the NFL draft.

News Story
$10M?!? He's never thrown a major league pitch! How good is he to swing that kind of deal?

Regards,
Chris

P.S. So, to answer the original poster's question, I'd say Griffin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST